Iron distance mara times

for outlaw training plan

21 to 30 of 30 messages
Golden Boots    pirate
08/08/2011 at 12:04

and as each day goes by I get more and more scared of the wales bike route!!

I'm going to short course triathlon next year - and im going to get a dickhead hat, tri bike and everything

pain is temporary    pirate
08/08/2011 at 12:36

My difference between Brighton Marathon and the Outlaw was only 26 minutes.  Walked the aid stations and kept a steady pace for the rest. 

Hope this helps

TheEngineer    pirate
08/08/2011 at 12:42
Shaun, I would say that I gave too much on the bike - if you pace yourself for the whole event (which is easier with more experience) then your marathon time will be more respectable than mine

I'd not done enough distance on the bike really, and so initially feared the cutoff - to compound this I'd lacked in running off the bike. It sounds like you're more prepared than I was!
08/08/2011 at 12:54
Scary to think how much faster you would have gone if you'd actually done some training SE
Golden Boots    pirate
08/08/2011 at 13:22
SlowEngineer wrote (see)
Shaun, I would say that I gave too much on the bike - if you pace yourself for the whole event (which is easier with more experience) then your marathon time will be more respectable than mine I'd not done enough distance on the bike really, and so initially feared the cutoff - to compound this I'd lacked in running off the bike. It sounds like you're more prepared than I was!

How much did you push on the bike? What was your time compared to what you had expected?

Sound advice, hopefully ill take it all onboard come race day

M.r Zuvai    pirate
08/08/2011 at 14:10

really interesting conversation....

i guess balancing how hard you push the bike against conserving the legs is really what IM comes down to

08/08/2011 at 14:53

I agree MZ.  It's all very well smashing it on the bike, but if you end up doing a 7 hour marathon as a result I think it detracts from the point of the IM.

Good pacing in the bike means being able to remain strong in the run, and ultimately get a better time overall as a result, and I assume being able to enjoy the experience more

Ultra AJH    pirate
08/08/2011 at 15:05

My first IM mara was 5.11 off a 3.58 best for that year.

2nd was 4.29 off a best of 3.47 that year.

Training was better second time but the bike course was also flatter, this got me onto the run a lot fresher.

Doozer.    pirate
08/08/2011 at 17:31

Being a strong stand alone runner does not always translate to being a good IM runner.

If you look at Rosey - who by his own admission is not what you would call a fast runner, and definatley not in the CRAB or Cheerful Dave running category.  However he is able to run stronger following a hard bike than these guys because he is a good 'triathlon runner'.    A lot of this comes down to years of training and experience, but also a lot of bike strength that allows him to have fresher legs for the run, and the fact he can handle the hurt locker for longer than most.

Its about getting over the line as fast as possible anyway, not about what splits you do! (says the person most likely to hit T2 first and blow up on the run hehe

08/08/2011 at 19:04

Funkin says I may post his times, 'cos he's a lazy git dictated by himself:

"Agree with Doozer re: running not always translating to good IM mara times.

2009:  VLM 3:19, IMCH 3:47

2010: Roth 3:35

2011: Brighton Mara 3:25 (ill, hoping for 3:10)

I therefore deduce I need a long warm-up, as difference between stand-alone PB and IM Mara PB only 16 minutes"

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.