Ironman 70.3 UK 2014

Newbie looking for friends, advice, anything that will help really....

121 to 137 of 137 messages
Calf    pirate
17/06/2014 at 23:19
The Silent Assassin wrote (see)
Stanners from the Bridge wrote (see)
Depending on how my races pan out next year, fancy giving me a second shot at you?

Calf wrote (see)

race on fella.....  but not toooo serious...we are Pirates after all

Stanners be careful, I seem to remember Calf and Rosey having a bet about who would run the quicker marathon at IMUK a few years back, cost Rosey a night on the beer with him having to buy all the beer

Great reports and performances from all

Aaah if only that was the case...I ended up buying the beers on that occasion, think my standalone mara is quicker than Rosey's but he's a bloody animal at the ironman (and annoyingly great bloke too boot)

And for those of you worrying about panic attacks etc....I was telling the g'friend just before the start how in my first open water swim tri at pembrokshire 7 years ago I was a flapping panicking mess (some would say not to different to today) and ended up racing (splashing alot, going round in circles and breathing in water)  the last 10m when myself and another guy realised it was between the two of us not to be last out of the swim.....2nd to last was in my mind a huge victory...as was surviving.... so you do get used to it...you might not get any faster  but you do get used to it...

And clello at under 38 mins for the swim with a little panic and breaststroke at the start that's a cracking swim time.

And reiterating my peoples comments..well done all that finished...that was by far the hardest HIM I have raced!!!!

18/06/2014 at 01:15
Thanks calf, was shocked when I checked my times online, vaguely heard the commentator shouting something about 40 min swims when I was going into T1 but just didn't register it in my mind, I will hopefully be back next just need to up my game and aim for a sub 6 race. Hopefully now I know what to expect in the water I will be slightly calmer when the horn goes.
18/06/2014 at 07:21

Does anyone know when/where the photos from the event are usually available online?

18/06/2014 at 07:37
Usually next day with FinisherPix, but they are taking a bloody age this time
18/06/2014 at 07:51

Cheers Stanners, I thought it was FinisherPix but then when I couldn't see any mention of Exmoor on the site I thought I must have had it wrong.

Red Stripe    pirate
18/06/2014 at 09:15

I just hoping there is one decent one of me as proof of finishing this beast of a course . Seem to be taking ages to be processed, I'll have forgotten my race number and tiredness by the time they come out 

Wabby    pirate
18/06/2014 at 10:17

Finisherpix made a balls up and have listed Wimbleball as 2013! Hopefully we will see something soon!

Agree with the previous posts. Brutally hard this year due to the heat. I much prefer the cold.

I also suffered panic before on a swim. It is probably due to heightened levels of stress, heart rate, cold shock and any number of other things that go through your head when the race starts. It is best to "man-up" and get on with it though as it soon passes . Well done Clello

18/06/2014 at 10:34

Well done everyone I found that a very tough HIM.

I found the swim a nervous affair and sticking with Stanners at the walk down helped but I don't think the lack of time in the water helped my nervous energy and I was probably a little too excited (Stanners got the brunt off that SORRY mate!). I do however agree with Wabby thou the only solution is I need to MTFU in spades and just get on with it.

Wabby, Red Stripe, Stanners and other pirates on the course cheers again for the high fives and arghhhhs they really helped get this pirate home to calmer waters and flat ground.

18/06/2014 at 13:13

Hi Guys, I thought that I would chip in as well. Really enjoyed my experience in my first ever HIM event. 

Coming from a swimming background I fortunately had a great start and managed to miss the moshpit in the water. The bike course to me was challenging but I enjoyed the very fast sections when they came around. Those climbs were a killer on the old quads. The run on the other hand didn't really go to plan as I suffered badly in the heat with cramping hamstrings from the second lap onwards. Pretty much had to do a run/walk strategy from the second lap onwards.

The support all over the course was truly amazing. If it wasn't for all the cheering in the run it would have made an already tough course tougher especially at that point for me. I crossed the line in 6 hours 31 seconds. Sooooo close to breaking 6 hours ha ha.

My splits were.

Swim: 28.59, Bike: 3h 13m, Run: 2h 9m.

Definitely thinking of taking this beast on again in 2015 as I have unfinished business in the run. 

Calf    pirate
18/06/2014 at 14:16

there is definitely something to the cold water on the head thing that raises the heart rate.....

For those of you who swim train in a pool/gym with a sauna and plunge pool after swimming I sit in the sauna for 10 mins and then do a 60 sec dip in the cold pool to get used to that eff me its cold feeling!

19/06/2014 at 10:42

http://www.tri247.com/article_12934_Wimbleball+2014%3A+Mega+Montage+Video.html?region_id=&category=uk_ironman_70_3

Video Footage from Wimbleball many pirates seen in this and a good one of Calf and Stanners finishing, Red Stripe spotted a few times and a few others. 

Watching this you can see how hilly that run is. 

Great swim time IronPiper, I will be back for 2015 if date suit.

Wabby    pirate
19/06/2014 at 15:03

thats nearly persuaded me!!!!!!

20/06/2014 at 13:45

Race Report link if anyone is interested, hope recovery is going well for everyone? Took me a good few days to get feeling in my legs back!

Wimbleball 70.3 Race Report

20/06/2014 at 17:32
Nice report Uncharted and it was a pleasure to share the experience with you. Good luck for the rest of the season mate.
22/06/2014 at 15:11

Here's my race report

http://ironpiper.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/ironman-uk-703-2014-race-report.html

25/06/2014 at 14:30

Good race report IronPiperAl enjoyed reading it. You did very well surprised you found the 2nd long drag (timewell) easier than Pylon Hill. Yeah Pylon Hill is tough but I find timewell just goes on and on must be about 1 mile at least of good climbing. I agree with you thou Haddon hill had the repuation but it is only tough at bottom (steep bit) but isn't as long or tough as I was expecting.

Goodl luck for Wales and I will see you down their! Off for a recce this weekend to see what course is like.

25/06/2014 at 14:35

Thanks Uncharted Waters. Will definitely see you down there. Let us know how the recce goes. Would be interested in hearing your thoughts. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
121 to 137 of 137 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.