Ironman Lanzarote 2013 (3rd weekend in May?)

Entries Open 19th May 2012?

641 to 660 of 2,929 messages
25/08/2012 at 17:08

Melds, just noticed your post on the Abers thread. Have you had any takers? I think I may be doing the same as you - the thought of it 5 weeks after IMW doesn't appeal much at the moment.

M...eldy    pirate
26/08/2012 at 08:20

Joddly .. I sold mine this weekend, just post up and I am sure someone will take it off you
They are really quick at transferring names/numbers

07/09/2012 at 08:09
I think I've found a flight I'm happy with. Raf, if you're going tues to thurs does that mean you're going for a week and 2 days?
Iron Pingu    pirate
07/09/2012 at 09:51

Mouse, which flight, is it the Birmingham Monach one?

I was swimming in my local lake last night and asked the chappy what the temperatures were usually for March/April.  He had a look in his little book and said about 9 to 11 degrees.    Think I'll be buying a dry suit for outdorr swim practise next year!!

Rafiki    pirate
07/09/2012 at 10:00

Mouse,  after what Pingu has just said I might not be going!! I don't DO cold (lived in Africa for toooo long).

But yep, was planning for the 9 days... although haven't done anything about flights or accommodation

M...eldy    pirate
07/09/2012 at 11:20
Have the name of suitable appartments just need to find booking agent rather than the single private owned jobbies!
seren nos yn canu    pirate
07/09/2012 at 11:26

Pingu.i will come and swim with you in spring if you want

07/09/2012 at 12:29

Pingu - I did think there was going to be very, very limited swimming prior to racing.  I think one of my local lakes will open about 3 weeks prior (if that).  There are a couple of others (Cromhall and the Bradley Stoke lake) who will let you swim sooner.

Raf - that said, I'd say as long as you can get a couple of OW swims in beforehand to remember how the wetsuit feels, there's no huge necessity.  Get a couple of swims in out there if required.  You gotta come, the heat of the race will suit you

I'm looking at Monarch out of Gatwick Weds to Mon or Thomson out of Bristol Sun to Sun.  I'm currently weighing up the pros and cons.

Pingu - there's flights from Cardiff but they are also Sun to Sun.

Iron Pingu    pirate
07/09/2012 at 12:37

Mouse, it's was the Bradley Stoke one that I swim at though whether I'll be getting in in March or April is another matter! 

It's a shame EasyJet and Ryan Air haven't got their schedules up yet.

Seren, I don't want to lol!  But I may well take you up on the offer.  You thinking Taff?

Ooh M..eldy, which apartments??

07/09/2012 at 12:43

Ryanair is up.  Or at least you can find the days of the week that they fly out of your local airport.  I'd just be very sceptical about flying Ryanair with the bike, I've never known anyone do it.  Henny started a thread on here about it ages ago where there was a lot of discussion but nobody admitted to doing it.

Have you ever done it?

If Bradley Stoke lake is open earlier than then lake I normally swim it, I'd meet you and Seren up there for a couple of swims in April?

Iron Pingu    pirate
07/09/2012 at 14:25

I've never flown with a bike, I'm very nervous about it tbh! 

April swim date it is

07/09/2012 at 14:54

I booked Gatwick.  I wasn't overly excited about flying back Sunday night.

Ryanair flights weren't the best days and I'm just not happy about taking my bike with them.  The Birmingham flights didn't suit when I want to come back either.  I can't stay too long due to issues with leave at work, sadly.

Yay, go us in April!

I may well be coming over your way during winter, too, Pingu, to find some decent hills.

Iron Pingu    pirate
07/09/2012 at 15:02

Give us a shout when you do, I know some great routes with niiiice big hills ....

07/09/2012 at 15:07

Oh and, I saw your post on the Wales thread. I very nearly entered that a couple of weeks ago too!!!!

If you show me the hills, you'll get to do hill reps whilst I'm going up them cos you is a speedy ironing person whilst I is a bit of a more leisurely type.

Right, I reallly must get on.

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
07/09/2012 at 15:10
M...eldy wrote (see)
Have the name of suitable appartments just need to find booking agent rather than the single private owned jobbies!

Excellent

seren nos yn canu    pirate
07/09/2012 at 15:17

When you plan your bike ride let me know and i will try and join you Mouse and Pingu...

Bradley stoke is open all year round.just phone up to check when..........I swam last december there............it was freezing mind and I only managed 1 lap

07/09/2012 at 15:28

I would be interested to join up for some training rides

M...eldy    pirate
07/09/2012 at 16:36

We can go and do reps of Bison 

07/09/2012 at 16:43

Im up for that, but there are no 'steep' hills like Bison at Lanza, you need just hilly rides with lots of hills, I reakon we need a circuit around Princess Risborough.

07/09/2012 at 16:43

Or like the long drag from Henley to Christmas Common.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.