Ironman Seat post number and tool kit

How to attach it?

11 messages
16/06/2014 at 07:53
Just to depress myself a bit more about the weekend I was looking through the race numbers and everything from the weekend and I've got a question. It might be useful for others. One of the numbers you attach to the bike is a really long one that you wrap around the seat post (or brake cable it says) and it sticks out behind the seat post like a flag, displaying the number. From looking at my bike, I would have had to remove my toolkit. There isn't enough room for the sticker and the toolkit on my bike. I have this topeak bag that attaches to the seat and post. How do people get around that? Tools somewhere else?
16/06/2014 at 08:42

The only thing (as far as I'm aware) that this number is used for is to try to prevent you walking out of transition with a nicer bike than you entered with (they'll typically cross check your race number with this sticker)- so as long as it's attached to the frame somewhere it shouldn't matter too much.

M...eldy    pirate
16/06/2014 at 08:43
You can still wrap it round the seat post just that it would only be visible from one side ...or try the brake cable
16/06/2014 at 08:50
Ah okay, I was worried it had to be visible both sides. Cool.

Thanks folks.
seren nos    pirate
16/06/2014 at 08:51

can't be a problem as I think most bikes have the little toolkit bag on the back......

16/06/2014 at 09:06

Sort of jam mine on the post under my tool bag, Suppose being tall I have plenty of post exposed

cougie    pirate
16/06/2014 at 16:59
No problem with putting it on the brake cable. Its not for ID when moving - just in and out of transition.

If no brake cable available - round the seat stay.
Rafiki    pirate
16/06/2014 at 17:02

You should ask Barley - I seem to remember he has a collection of them all over his bike - just to confuse the Officials!!

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
17/06/2014 at 07:03
I had a purge and removed most of them, still have last years Lanza number along my top tube (rather like it there).

Removed a nice helmet number build up a couple of years ago , must have been 10-15 numbers one on top of the other
M...eldy    pirate
17/06/2014 at 08:47
Doesn't that effect your aerodynamics Barlos?
17/06/2014 at 08:52

I take the previous race's number off for the next race.  It's become a bit of a 'thing' now. So I think I am currently still sporting IM Wales number on my seat post.  The Chiltern 100 didn't count.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.