IronMan Tattoo's

Did you get one/want one....?

21 to 40 of 643 messages
cougie    pirate
02/06/2009 at 21:42
ENOUGH about my halter neck !

And yes - you should feel awe for anyone so IM tattoooed up.

Just posted on Snorks thread about the shoes. Only got them Saturday and only managed one run in them so far, so very early days, but I think I like them.
M...eldy    pirate
02/06/2009 at 21:43
AL ... I think thats quite cool,  there are many that saw her that would not bat an eyelid if they didnt know,  someone shouted at me up one of them feckin hills 'good work ironwoman'

I kind of like that recognition, I have earnt it.
Holly_Golightly    pirate
02/06/2009 at 21:47

I have one.  As with Ditchy, I want to give the nurses in the home at least one topic of conversation when they are stuck day after day dressing and feeding me. 

Mine is well hidden though so it is only a priviledged few (and the nurses when I get to that stage) who see it.

pirate
02/06/2009 at 21:47

so Meldy you have one then? Where is it?

So far KK, IronSnorks, Holly and Cougie have one.

My spin instructor has one or two or 3 plus an mdot pendant...he has done 7 IM's.

Edited: 02/06/2009 at 21:48
M...eldy    pirate
02/06/2009 at 21:50
back of my ankle/lower calf
   pirate
02/06/2009 at 21:50
M.eldy wrote (see)
AL ... I think thats quite cool,  there are many that saw her that would not bat an eyelid if they didnt know,  someone shouted at me up one of them feckin hills 'good work ironwoman'

I kind of like that recognition, I have earnt it.

yeah you have earnt it.

When I saw that woman's tattoo, it really set her apart and I was impressed and wanted to know more.

I guess it's like wearing a badge.

Edited: 02/06/2009 at 21:50
   pirate
02/06/2009 at 21:52
M.eldy wrote (see)
back of my ankle/lower calf

thats where this woman had hers too.

Just shows that while you may forget about your tattoo, somewhere someone is noticing it and registering what you have done.

02/06/2009 at 21:59

AL... I was thinking of asking the same question myself only yesterday, its a bit of a dilemma.... on the one hand I think I'd also like to have someone notice it when I'm old and decrepit (or older and more decrepit)... on the other had I hate tattoosand I hate the thought of having a logo....

I think I'm leaning towards NO, after all I'm doing this for me, I couldn't really care less if anyone else knows....until I'm a dithering old wreck.

pirate
02/06/2009 at 22:11

Hadn't really thought of it as a logo or corporate branding but now that you've all mentioned it....

Still, its quietly sitting in my mind palying with the pro's and cons!

Nam
02/06/2009 at 22:13

If I get round I'd like to get one.

I'm not keen on corporate branding but it's hardly like Nike or Nestle is it...

02/06/2009 at 22:16

Not sure I'd ever actually get a tattoo but they do fascinate me. May get an Mdot as and when I get round to actually doing an IM race. And I've picked out a phrase I'd quite fancy being tattooed if I ever get round to a sub-4 mara: Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim.

(Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you.  - Ovid)

02/06/2009 at 22:18
I keep thinking about it, but then I start thinking about what my Mum would say
02/06/2009 at 22:18
I thought long and hard about it, then Mrs NGL said I didn't need one. I decided that as I didn't argue about it, it wasn't that important to me.
Edited: 02/06/2009 at 22:20
02/06/2009 at 22:20
I have a tattoo but I didn't ever get round to getting an IM one.  I did try to come up with a design that incorporated the logo without being just the M dot but I couldn't find anything that I really liked and in the end I decided not to bother.  If / when I do it again I may have another go at a design.
Imeccentric    pirate
02/06/2009 at 22:21

Good thread , I have one so does Slummo in fact hes got one big one and a little one for each new race he racks up he will make ten this year , by doing three , nutjob. His partner Bendy Jan has one too.

Mine is on the right calf at three quarters , get it red with black outline looks so much better. I forget I have it and then other people remind me and I really like that. So this evening playing frisbee in Green Park with some workmates (intervals , really )and someone who works in my team noticed it and thought it was really cool , shes comfortably young enough to be my daughter so that was nice.

Also last year at washington Marine Corps MAra I was dying on my arse at 22 miles (usual) and some bloke in the crowd shouts come on Ironman pick it up and it really made a big difference. Im happy I had it done brand issues aside , but its a personal choice.

Go on AL ;0)

Imeccentric    pirate
02/06/2009 at 22:23

BTW Eternal tattoos of dorking (Trogs et al ) are superb , the chaps there have done thousands and gave good advice which if followed avoids any issues in the first key 48 hrs.

If you are going to get one get a decent one from a reputable artist.

02/06/2009 at 22:23
If I did get one after IMCH then I have seen a design where the dot is the red and white swiss cross.
AndrewSmith    pirate
02/06/2009 at 22:26
Nam wrote (see)

I'm not keen on corporate branding but it's hardly like Nike or Nestle is it...

I think the thing with Mdots is that they kind of transend the typical coorporate logo stigma. Partly because of what they actually represent and partly because official IM races are not the only ones about, many people get a tattoo after doing a non-sanctioned event. Quite rightly so I think, although there are some twats who think you have to do an official to 'earn' the tattoo. Fortunately they are few and far between.

At the end of the day you achieve something you are proud of so there is nothing wrong with showing your 'badge of honour'

02/06/2009 at 22:26
Problem with a tatt is you can have the tatt without doing the race.  Not everyone who has a RfL tattoo has completed the course.

So what Ironman should do is have proper branding of finishers.  Every finisher would be roped by Ironman cowboys who apply hot irons which brands the IM logo into the finisher's skin.  That way everyone knows the tattoo is genuine.
Imeccentric    pirate
02/06/2009 at 22:27

Yep rosey has an ace one with loads of flags of different countries hes raced in round the M dot .

If you did that Gertie you could start a little collection of them , seen it happen...

21 to 40 of 643 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.