Ironman Training Schedules

Any Recommendations

1 to 20 of 29 messages
04/09/2003 at 09:34
Can anyone recommend a particular Ironman training schedule, or method?

Will be looking to do the larger distance sometime next year - probably TLD and one other-

I've read and have got quite a lot of info on trainign over the years, but thought something specific to Ironman distance might be worth investigating?
WildWill    pirate
04/09/2003 at 12:35
The "Triathletes Training Bible" (available from amazon) is a good starting point

04/09/2003 at 12:42
caspar, take a look at tt's website (tritalk.co.uk). tt put some training schedules on that cover every distance.
04/09/2003 at 12:59
cheers

I have a few books on endurance training, and dip and out for knowledge, but I have never followed a rigid six month plan that was tailored for a specific event.

So I wasnt sure if it was better to floow an ironman plan or to folow individual schedules for the three disciplines
I have never done an ironman, but have done other long distance events and trained for long distances so my base fitness is there.
04/09/2003 at 15:40
There are schedules on www.triathletes-uk.org
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
04/09/2003 at 16:11
If you email me I'll send you a copy of one that we've used
04/09/2003 at 16:16
Cheers Ironwolf
05/09/2003 at 09:03
Thanks for the Plan- I certainly know who Paula Newby Fraser is.

Have you hads success with this approach?

I found her schedule interesting in two points-

A stong advocate of weight training- a lot of schedules I have seen (primarily for shoter distances or just running/ cycling) seem to shy away from weights, or expect you to cram them in somewhere but not at the expense of one of the main disciplines

Her having just a main 8 week focus (including 2 week taper)- Mentally this must be a lot easier.
I definately started to feel the strain this summer after focussing 8 months soldily on the Marathon Des Sables and straight into 5 months focus for the UK Half Ironman.
I was (still am) mentally exhausted and low and behold I dislocated my arm in Sherboourne. I am not saying that mental exhaustion is the main reason for this, but could have been a factor
WildWill    pirate
05/09/2003 at 11:24
IW - I would not minde a copy of that schedule - i've drpped you a line

Cheers
05/09/2003 at 17:13
WW and Pantman - you have mail.

Caspar - it works for me and Mr. IW. I agree with Paula's strength training approach, I've used weights for years to keep me going, I find keeping myself stronger helps me a lot. I like her ideas too on starting from Olympic-tri training and adding distance and key workouts to it.
05/09/2003 at 17:15
I do actually have another schedule, 13 weeks to a 13-hour IM, but neither of us have actually used it. If anyone wants it, I'll scan it in and email.
05/09/2003 at 17:38
I'd be intersted in that as well- I am just trying to work everything out for next year

although the PNF looks very tempting
WildWill    pirate
05/09/2003 at 19:20
IW - Cheers
08/09/2003 at 15:54
Sorry guys, the scanned doc is not easy to read, so looks like I'll have to type it all. Give me a bit more time and I'll get it to you.
WildWill    pirate
08/09/2003 at 18:26
the 13week one is on the www.tritalk.co.uk website
08/09/2003 at 18:42
ah ha yeah I got that one

cheers
08/09/2003 at 21:12
If you buy Gale Bernhardt's book "Training plans for multisport athletes" It also has a 26 week IM plan and 2 half IM plans. I would really recommend it, you can get it from amazon.co.uk.

TriandRun
09/09/2003 at 13:03
Caspar

Have you looked at the tips page on Gordoworld (http://byrn.org)?

Plenty of good stuff here.
09/09/2003 at 15:41
the 13week plan I have is the same one from Gale Bernhardt. But working with different HR zones gives me the pip even though I know current wisdom places a lot of stress on doing it. I'm sticking to my tried and true PNF 7 months.
10/10/2003 at 14:35
Thrilled to find this thread. I have been looking for a training schedule for IM for next summer to no avail. Thanks.
1 to 20 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.