ironman uk non wetsuit

21 to 40 of 40 messages
20/07/2013 at 18:30

I was too hot swimming 5k at Outlaw t'other week and it was lower than 23. 

Caz - am loving your training without a costume comment. So, like, naked then?

K9
20/07/2013 at 18:33

I did ripon tri last week - just standard distance, bit wet suits banned. Swim was lovely, but 4 minutes slower than last year!

20/07/2013 at 18:37

Yes, I have done some of my training naked, and some with my costume only on my lower half.  Scared a group of lads a couple of weeks ago when I forgot that I had my costume at half mast when getting out of the water

If I get bad chafing around my neck then I may decide to take my costume off.  Or my costume may rip

But I don't recommend it in water below about 10 degrees when doing breaststoke.  There are some parts of the female body that get very painful in extreme cold conditions

20/07/2013 at 18:42

Wow!! You really have thought of everything. Hats off to you. 

20/07/2013 at 18:47

I hope so, but there is bound to be something I've over looked, and that will be just the thing that goes wrong

20/07/2013 at 18:51

Actually if my costume does rip I will suspect Plum of sabotage

20/07/2013 at 19:31

True

seren nos    pirate
20/07/2013 at 19:38

non wetsuit swims are so rqare in this country that normally only the shallowist of lakes would be vunerable to it..........I can see whya thiose doing IMUK would not have even have thought it was a possibility in this country in july

its a major reason why i would avoid most european ironman races.....I have no doubt that i would still find some way of swimming it but i would be close to the cutoffs and would have to stay in shallow waters so that i could stop for breathers

which isn't an option for you in the channel caz

20/07/2013 at 19:43

All the ow tri's I've done have been in the UK and wetsuit optional.  Admittedly I've not done many but one was in the sea.  I wouldn't think it that unusual for tris during late August or September but agree that I wouldn't expect it for July or early August.

I really hope that I don't touch the bottom Seren!  If I do something has really gone wrong

20/07/2013 at 20:29

TBH as long as the temps OK I much prefer OW without a wetsuit if you can swim the distance in a wettie you can do it without its a mental thing, in fact if the temps up a wetsuit could be a real problem over a long effort with a bit of boil in the bag going on

20/07/2013 at 21:30

Anyone give a ballpark, back of the envelope syleee on how much time a wetsuit saves? I did a 13.30 750m wetsuit swim last month so aiming for sub 30 tomorrow and can't decide about my wetsuit! Swam in training without a wetsuit on Thurs and did a 31.30 wetsuit but breathing slower than racing. 

Notably I do not get my wetsuit off quickly. I blame my huge calf muscles. *cough*

Anyway I reckon it takes 1 minute to get the wetsuit off- so I'd need to swim 1500m more than 1min faster with my wetsuit. I really didn't believe it made that much difference - until my friend (who is a crap swimmer) said it took 6 mins off his time!!

More importantly for you guys:

I do remember a race being non-westuit at Eton Dorney. Once. A couple of years ago following a spell of weather like this. However it's obviously artificial - so probably shallower?! And down south 

20/07/2013 at 21:33

Oh and it's "only" 22degs and, I assume, probably one of the warmest places in the country. So I would think Bolton would be unlikely to make it's way to 24. 

20/07/2013 at 21:35

I've heard the figure of 10% being banded around, but I think that if it is hot and sunny too then maybe you need to take into account the effects of dehydration and over heating so maybe a little less than that.

It also depends on the swimmer.  It doesn't make much difference with me as I have good form without a wetsuit, and the wetsuit tends to make my form worse as I have too much bouyancy.

20/07/2013 at 21:38

Good point. My technique isn't bad and I have a bottom end wetsuit that does restrict my arms a little. 

I shall dip my toe tomorrow and make the decision. It'll be fun to do a non-wetsuit though! Really enjoyed my session on Thursday without 

20/07/2013 at 21:41

My river was 24.5 degrees on Thursday.  Rivers are generally thought to be cooler than lakes so I don't think you can make generalisations across the country.

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
20/07/2013 at 22:18

How much a wetsuit saves depends on the swimmer, their technique, how good the wetsuit is and how well it fits, how flexible the arms are etc.  I swim 3.8K open water about 15 minutes quicker in a wetsuit than without so with a wettie im about 20% quicker.  Im probably a more extreme case.

My advice to anyone would be don't rely on a wetsuit or training with a pull-buoy, ive said this to Seren a number of times.  We all have time to learn how to improve our technique, relying on a pull-buoy is like someone saying they have to stop to eat on the bike, sort it out!  You only have to do a very gentle flutter kick to keep the legs up.

I cant understand the concern over Ironman races being sanctioned non wetsuit but it will be what it is, you've still 2.20 to complete the swim which is loads of time.

M...eldy    pirate
20/07/2013 at 22:58

What he said

cougie    pirate
21/07/2013 at 01:21
I'll agree with barley. Non wetsuit is about 15 mins slower for me and I'm a rubbish swimmer. For most people it will be less difference than that.
21/07/2013 at 09:12

It does depend on the person.  My times aren't too much different with or without a wetsuit and in fact seem to be a bit quicker without the added restriction of a wetsuit.  Like caz I have a certain amount of natural buoyancy and often find my feet kicking thin air instead of water with a wetsuit! 

Edited: 21/07/2013 at 09:16
The Evil Pixie    pirate
21/07/2013 at 09:24

I'm quicker without a wetsuit although still slow! Market Bosworth was non wetsuit on Thursday at 25 and it was warm no way would I have swum with a suit

I was hot doing Outlaw which I think was 19

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 40 of 40 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.