ironman uk non wetsuit

1 to 20 of 40 messages
Crooky-IronKnee    pirate
20/07/2013 at 17:19

heard a rumour today that ironman uk will be a non-wetsuit event

anybody else heard anything like this

seren nos    pirate
20/07/2013 at 17:21

you don't expect that in the Uk.especially when you think how cold the water everywhere was in May

Rafiki    pirate
20/07/2013 at 17:22

I think it is just that - a rumour!

As far as I'm aware - and no doubt FB will be along in a moment to correct me if I'm wrong  - but the decision will be made an hour before the race start, and will be based on strict criteria.

seren nos    pirate
20/07/2013 at 17:25

someone said it was at 23 degrees friday.........if it gets to 24 then it would have to be non wetsuit.but I thought i read you could wear buoyancy shorts.whatever they are.but if i was racing at bolton i think I would be getting myself a pair

20/07/2013 at 17:25

an hour before the start

thats not a lot of time to prepare 

and i needall the help i can get !!

20/07/2013 at 17:26

The decision will be made according to the rules for triathlon OW swimming.  Lots of places have heated up above 24 degrees so it is possible but I think it is too early to be able to predict it.  If we get a lot of rain and cooler air temperatures then the water temperature may drop before the start.

But as good triathletes you will have trained both with and without your wetsuit for just this sort of occasion so it shouldn't be a problem.

20/07/2013 at 17:26

i got an email from openwaterswimming selling the shorts you said

http://www.mytriathlon.co.uk/products/Zone-3-2013-Buoyancy-Shorts.html

Rafiki    pirate
20/07/2013 at 17:28

Seren - its governed by WTC rules:

Wetsuits may be worn in water temperatures up to and including 24.5 degrees Celsius/76.1 degrees Fahrenheit. Athletes who choose to wear a wetsuit in water temperatures exceeding 24.5 degrees C /76.1 degrees F will not be eligible for awards, including World Championship slots. Wetsuits will be prohibited in water temperatures greater than 28.8 degrees C/84 degrees F.

Buoyancy shorts are a buoyancy aid, therefore banned under WTC rules

Rafiki    pirate
20/07/2013 at 17:29
SuperCaz wrote (see)

But as good triathletes you will have trained both with and without your wetsuit for just this sort of occasion so it shouldn't be a problem.

Good triathletes - on here??? You been drinking again Caz

Cheerful Dave    pirate
20/07/2013 at 17:33
crookybwfc wrote (see)

i got an email from openwaterswimming selling the shorts you said

http://www.mytriathlon.co.uk/products/Zone-3-2013-Buoyancy-Shorts.html

I witnessed FB having words with the folks on the Zone3 stall at the Vachery Tri this afternoon after the organisers there suggested anyone worried about a non-wetsuit swim should get some - as Rafiki says, they're considered a buoyancy aid and aren't allowed in non-wetsuit swims.

20/07/2013 at 17:45

Good point Raf

But seriously don't people train for things going wrong?  I've trained without swimming costume, hat, ear plugs, without nutrition and with leaky goggles just in case things go wrong for me during my event.  Don't you practice changing inner tubes on the bike, for example?

M...eldy    pirate
20/07/2013 at 17:47

Far too early to call a water temp at this stage and there is nothing you can do to influence it ... worry about something you can change

seren nos    pirate
20/07/2013 at 17:53

I never ever train for non wetsuit situations as they do not really happen in this country..........I am sure i read somewhere that bolton had said that buoyancy shorts would be allowed if wetsuits are banned.........

cougie    pirate
20/07/2013 at 18:14
Even a crap swimmer like me doesn't need neoprene shorts if it gets to be non wetsuit.

You've still time to train without a wetsuit. You'll just be a bit slower.
seren nos    pirate
20/07/2013 at 18:19

love it cougie.you still have a week to train

glad i enetered Wales.no way will the sea be a non wetsuit swim 

20/07/2013 at 18:20

Don't any of you train in the pool?  Or do you wear your wetsuit in the pool too?

Doner Kebab    pirate
20/07/2013 at 18:23
Rafiki wrote (see)

Seren - its governed by WTC rules:

Wetsuits may be worn in water temperatures up to and including 24.5 degrees Celsius/76.1 degrees Fahrenheit. Athletes who choose to wear a wetsuit in water temperatures exceeding 24.5 degrees C /76.1 degrees F will not be eligible for awards, including World Championship slots. Wetsuits will be prohibited in water temperatures greater than 28.8 degrees C/84 degrees F.

Buoyancy shorts are a buoyancy aid, therefore banned under WTC rules

do you think you are going to get a AG placing?  - thats all 

seren nos    pirate
20/07/2013 at 18:23

I only train with a pullbuoy as this replicates the race conditions of a wetsuit..........never do more than 50m without a pullbuoy or a wetsuit........

stephen kavanagh 4 wrote (see)
MC 3 - A mate of mine contacted IMUK yesterday over the water temp and they said if it is over 24.5 C it will be non wetsuite. If it is non wetsuite they will allow buoyancy shorts, which I am told do help. Unless this heatwave continues over the next 2 weeks, which it isn't forecast to do, then I am sure it won't reach 24.5 C.

SR - Sat - Swim 4 km followed by a couple of loops of IMUK and a short 30 min run off the bike.

Sun - 1 hr bike and 2 hr run. I was thinking of doing a longer run but I am not sure that it will be of any value at this stage.

Tyler - They are not cool, but a good old fashioned pump every time for me mate.

I know i had read it somewhere about the buoyancy shorts............but this isn't firsthand

Doner Kebab    pirate
20/07/2013 at 18:24

i swam in 23° recently and it seemed pretty hot in a wettie - too hot for anything longer than a mile really 

20/07/2013 at 18:28

Seren, you have already said that you are doing an event that is guaranteed to be wetsuit compulsory so there would be no need for you to train without a wetsuit. Likewise my event will absolutely never allow a wetsuit so there is no point in me training with one.

I'm just interested to understand the logic behind those who are concerned that wetsuits might be banned

1 to 20 of 40 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.