Ironman UK

Unrealistic goal...

1 to 20 of 48 messages
28/10/2007 at 14:29
I have a question. Has anyone done this never having done a triathlon of any distance before hand?
Doozer.    pirate
28/10/2007 at 14:42
CRAB's first triatlon of any description was ironman Austria, he scaped home in 10hr 50ish.  Another friend of mine did IMUK as his first tri this year in 12:50ish, so it is more than possible, just do the trainng
28/10/2007 at 14:47
Brilliant. Thanx. The thing is, I am looking for a training plan to suit me. Putting all 3 disciplines together is quite hard. Any good reference material? I'm currently training twice a day with not much structure.
Doozer.    pirate
28/10/2007 at 15:04

swim a bit, bike a lot, run alot, bike some more!!

28/10/2007 at 15:26
Hilly huh?! I've heard the run is hilly too?
JPenno    pirate
28/10/2007 at 15:36
I am considering IMUK (or antwerp 70.3) already doing HIM UK, but have done some tri's before and a couple of marathons. Time on the bike is the most important and looking at IMUK time on the bike on hills would be better.
28/10/2007 at 15:50
I'm ONLY training on hills. Run & bike. Just dont know how much and intensity?
D74
28/10/2007 at 16:05

Even for a hilly tri, then there are times when you want flat.  Don't get me wrong, training on the hills lots will pay big style dividends on race day, but there are some sessions that you need to find some flat for for them to be most effective.

Oh, and there are loads of people that have done IM with no prior tri - experience.  In the past then it probably was a bit mad, but now there are enough training manuals to get you a decent time if you put in the effort.   I'd still suggest you do a couple of sprint / oly races earlier next year pre IMUK, but still very doable.

28/10/2007 at 16:10
Yes, totally! I will. But part of training. 2 enough? One olympic, one half IM?
G-Sport    pirate
28/10/2007 at 16:18

i did a sprint a half then IM in my first year. Absolutely no reasonm to do loads of tri's before doing IM.

Just put the work in in training, have an idea of your abilities and transition plans from a couple of events then away you go.

Easy peasey, if you wear the black n yellah it'll help loads too

28/10/2007 at 16:26
That's what I thought. It's just for transition experience right? Then just knowing the course and doing the training. My main issue is the bike as it's a totally new thing for me. I only just got used to clip pedals. I guess I have a while yet b4 UK. I'm a runner really who just slipped into this as I love swimming and got injured running so swim took off. Always wanted to do an IM anyway. And, totally can't get it out of my head now. Hooked!

May be a numpty question but what is the pirate thing?
G-Sport    pirate
28/10/2007 at 16:33

Pirate ship of fools.

Group of people whop discuss tris mainly IM meet up for socials nd races.

Main race for this year was Austria IM, next year it's IM fRANCE, nICE.

some Pirates will be at IMUK for sure. Just read the posts on RW and you'll get the idea.

28/10/2007 at 16:36
Ahah! Thanx. I've seen a few on runs. Like the outfit! I feel enlightened!
G-Sport    pirate
28/10/2007 at 16:54

Youd be welcomed with open arms i'm sure.

Just look out for the next kit order and join in on the forums.

Look out for the link to the PSOF WEBSITE i'm sure someone will live ner you to meet up anfd train.

28/10/2007 at 17:00
Wimbledon?
G-Sport    pirate
29/10/2007 at 10:52
Plenty in London area, Ironmike and Candy that I can think of.
29/10/2007 at 11:07

Ahoy Wacky!

There's a huge amount of pirate activity near you... I'm in Teddington. Kanga and IronMike are Wimbledon way.... Then Bear is in Sutton. And Zilla's close by too...

We have you surrounded... resistance is futile.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Crash Hamster    pirate
29/10/2007 at 11:16

It's a shameless boing of one of my own threads, but this is what everyone was doing before their first IM...

29/10/2007 at 13:20

That's brilliant! Glad I have neighbours  and thanks for showing me the boing thread. Makes me feel not quite as nuts!

And, Hollywood, I used to live in Teddington. So I've probably ran past you!

Iron Mike    pirate
30/10/2007 at 09:50

Hi wacky racer-just been pointed over here by G Sport. You have certainly come to the right place for help and support-the pirates are awesome, welcome to the family.

In terms of help and support, I can certainly give you some pointers. I live on the outskirts of Wimbledon-off Martin Way, towards Morden underground. I run a masters swim squad at the David Lloyd in Raynes park, and am a member of the serpentine tri club. In terms of improving your biking skills, I can highly recommend the club. We run beginners sessions a couple of times a month where a small group is taken by an experienced cyclist/coach for a lap or two of Richmond park. We cover all sorts of things from clipping in and out to riding in a group to drinking on the go etc etc.

As far as a program goes, I trained a few people on here for Ironmans last year and am happy to give you some pointers. Mail me if you want to have a chat about this.

Don't stress about not having any IM experience. There are loads of people on here who did an IM as their first triathlon. My first ever tri was Ironman Austria, and I got round just fine-did the marathon in my rugby kit  

Welcome aboard!

1 to 20 of 48 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.