Ironman Wales 2012

16th September

81 to 100 of 866 messages
Iron Pingu    pirate
12/10/2011 at 21:09
 Oi ! It's not that embaressing, no, not at all!  I like the name WND.  Double goggles this year
12/10/2011 at 21:38
I'm in...signed up at lunch. Feels good to be committed, now I've just got to put the time in! Will be continuing to pick the collective brains here for advice as the months go on. Looking forward to meeting you all next September!
Slagiatt    pirate
12/10/2011 at 23:25
Nice one CK
Mr Zuvai    pirate
13/10/2011 at 09:32

Iron Pingu wrote (see)
Oi ! It's not that embaressing, no, not at all! I like the name WND. Double goggles this year

one of my favourite moments from this year was asking you what your forum name was and getting a rather embarrassed ...."errmmm...pingu pongu"

i actually don't thinks its too bad a name at all - was only funny because of your embarrassment

good to see you about WND!! - you'll ace it this time

13/10/2011 at 09:38
good to see you joining in the action WND....
Golden Boots    pirate
13/10/2011 at 10:29

WND it was the saddest part when I saw you half way round the run cheering all of us still out there on. I think our passing words were something like "Not your day mate? Not my day!" and I instantly felt so bad for you, sorry to hear what happened at such an early point in the day

But well done for managing to come back out afterwards, it was great to see you on every (I think anyway) lap just after getting a new band

Golden Boots    pirate
13/10/2011 at 10:33
waving not drowning! wrote (see)

imangine having to introduce yourself at races as something like pingu pongu

Like in Tenby this year when after not meeting a single pirate, a strange woman approaches me and asks if I am Shaun, as she is Pingu....

I still don't know how she knew me as I lacked any form of pirate attire..... *stalker alert*

Iron Pingu    pirate
13/10/2011 at 10:54
Lol, I think I stopped, pointed and shouted "SHAUN" at you, if I'm not mistaken. 
Golden Boots    pirate
13/10/2011 at 11:02
Yeah it was something like that... although I often have that happen to me by girls in the street so it was no big deal!
Slagiatt    pirate
13/10/2011 at 12:27
  although the momentary look of panic on your face was fantastic
Golden Boots    pirate
13/10/2011 at 12:33
I often get harassed due to my good looks and physique when walking down the street... I was just worried it was another
Slagiatt    pirate
13/10/2011 at 13:00
Yes I can imagine that would get very tedious GB .fortunately I'm fat and mutt ugly , saves all that being hassled by tri hotties nonsense lol
Golden Boots    pirate
13/10/2011 at 13:14

I wouldn't worry mate, 'tis not all it's cracked up to be!

I'm guessing you don't fancy this run on sunday? btw there is an Evans sportive starting/finishing in Epping on Sunday as well... get your name down for the 90 mile version!

Slagiatt    pirate
13/10/2011 at 13:17

edit to remove duplicate post .. grr

cant do the run or ride this weekend mate sorry  .. which one are you doing. or you gonna try both

Edited: 13/10/2011 at 13:20
13/10/2011 at 15:10
Watched the French language video on the IM Wales FB page with my son last night. The swim looked ghastly. For someone who's not overly comfortable in the water, it's got me worried. Can someone over there order up some calm for raceday? How bad was it?
13/10/2011 at 15:13
CK - I loved the swim but I'm relatively at home in the sea (I live 400m from it so get in quite often). I think the hardest part for those not used to it was getting in and out with the big breaking waves but once you were swimming it was fine - the swell was big but there weren't that many breaking waves on top so it was easy to sight and breath. more of a rocking and rolling swim than anything too tough.

one tip - learn to spit not swallow...
Slagiatt    pirate
13/10/2011 at 15:18
it looked worse than in was CK ... once you got beyond the breaking waves it was fine really.. quite rolling but nothing scary, just made for some buoy sighting challenges ... trying to make sure you sighted  when you were on a peak not a trough  Very well supervised by the RNLI and lifeguards, so nothing to worry about . 
Edited: 13/10/2011 at 15:18
Iron Pingu    pirate
13/10/2011 at 15:21
CK, the swim was awesome.  I'd only swum in the sea once before and that was in a harbour where the water was as flat as a pancake.  (and about as deep as bath water). 

The footage of the swim is amazing imo, yes the waves were huge and the swell was big but it was all perfectly manageable, I'm not a strong swimmer at all, slowest in my masters class and I absolutely loved the swim, would have happily swum another lap if it was required.   Don't be put off by the swim.

Slagiatt    pirate
13/10/2011 at 15:21
 ok maybe it was just me that struggled with sighting then ...  but otherwise what FB said  
Iron Pingu    pirate
13/10/2011 at 15:35

Slag, I think on the first lap I went quite far out to sea between the 1st bouy and the 2nd and after that made more effort to sight.  But tbh, I has having too much fun to try to be too precise!

CK, as FB says, the waves did make getting in and out quite difficult, I got knocked flat a couple of times, though not a problem, just made it more interesting

81 to 100 of 866 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.