Ironman Wales 2012

16th September

81 to 100 of 891 messages
Darkness    pirate
11/10/2011 at 16:50

I stayed at the Fourcroft which overlooks the North Beach where the swim start was - my wife and daughter watched from the bedroom at 7am before making their way down to see me after lap 1.  I expect IMW will keep the swim at North Beach due to the positive reviews but can't be sure (the long course weekend training event in June has confirmed it will use North Beach).

They were really accomodating and set aside a meeting room to store bikes, laid on a great breakfast from 4am etc. 

Highly recommended.

12/10/2011 at 17:35
Darkness...they've said on the website that the swim will be on South Beach this year...not sure why the change. FB...I'll have to find some other way to identify myself as Canadian...I'll be too tired to say 'eh' to everyone I meet.
12/10/2011 at 17:43
CK - the swim this year was supposed to be South Beach but the weather conditions were awful so it was changed at the last minute to North Beach which is more sheltered.

many who took part feel they should keep it at North Beach as it created a special atmosphere on the day - go check out some of the IMWales swim videos on YouTube to see - and the extra 1km transition from swim to T1 added some "spice" to the event (they took the distance off the marathon!).

I think it will be a shame moving it to South Beach but I don't think it will make a huge difference to the event - it should still be a great swim - if conditions are good!
waving not drowning!    pirate
12/10/2011 at 18:22

After this years goggle catastrophe. i'll all signed up for 2012.

thanks for the room Iron Pingu  you're a star.

it was great to meet you all there this year now i'm finally signed up to the forum.

Slagiatt    pirate
12/10/2011 at 18:51
Hey that's great news WND ! . Swim cap over goggle strap perhaps this time maybe ... Be on the safe side
Darkness    pirate
12/10/2011 at 18:54
WND - great forum name!
waving not drowning!    pirate
12/10/2011 at 20:18

i would have signed up ages ago but took a long time thinking up a forum name.

imangine having to introduce yourself at races as something like pingu pongu

Iron Pingu    pirate
12/10/2011 at 21:09
 Oi ! It's not that embaressing, no, not at all!  I like the name WND.  Double goggles this year
12/10/2011 at 21:38
I'm in...signed up at lunch. Feels good to be committed, now I've just got to put the time in! Will be continuing to pick the collective brains here for advice as the months go on. Looking forward to meeting you all next September!
Slagiatt    pirate
12/10/2011 at 23:25
Nice one CK
M.r Zuvai    pirate
13/10/2011 at 09:32

Iron Pingu wrote (see)
Oi ! It's not that embaressing, no, not at all! I like the name WND. Double goggles this year

one of my favourite moments from this year was asking you what your forum name was and getting a rather embarrassed ...."errmmm...pingu pongu"

i actually don't thinks its too bad a name at all - was only funny because of your embarrassment

good to see you about WND!! - you'll ace it this time

13/10/2011 at 09:38
good to see you joining in the action WND....
Golden Boots    pirate
13/10/2011 at 10:29

WND it was the saddest part when I saw you half way round the run cheering all of us still out there on. I think our passing words were something like "Not your day mate? Not my day!" and I instantly felt so bad for you, sorry to hear what happened at such an early point in the day

But well done for managing to come back out afterwards, it was great to see you on every (I think anyway) lap just after getting a new band

Golden Boots    pirate
13/10/2011 at 10:33
waving not drowning! wrote (see)

imangine having to introduce yourself at races as something like pingu pongu

Like in Tenby this year when after not meeting a single pirate, a strange woman approaches me and asks if I am Shaun, as she is Pingu....

I still don't know how she knew me as I lacked any form of pirate attire..... *stalker alert*

Iron Pingu    pirate
13/10/2011 at 10:54
Lol, I think I stopped, pointed and shouted "SHAUN" at you, if I'm not mistaken. 
Golden Boots    pirate
13/10/2011 at 11:02
Yeah it was something like that... although I often have that happen to me by girls in the street so it was no big deal!
Slagiatt    pirate
13/10/2011 at 12:27
  although the momentary look of panic on your face was fantastic
Golden Boots    pirate
13/10/2011 at 12:33
I often get harassed due to my good looks and physique when walking down the street... I was just worried it was another
Slagiatt    pirate
13/10/2011 at 13:00
Yes I can imagine that would get very tedious GB .fortunately I'm fat and mutt ugly , saves all that being hassled by tri hotties nonsense lol
Golden Boots    pirate
13/10/2011 at 13:14

I wouldn't worry mate, 'tis not all it's cracked up to be!

I'm guessing you don't fancy this run on sunday? btw there is an Evans sportive starting/finishing in Epping on Sunday as well... get your name down for the 90 mile version!

81 to 100 of 891 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.