Ironman Wales 2012

16th September

141 to 160 of 888 messages
Iron Pingu    pirate
18/10/2011 at 10:35

And it was also downright funny too!  1000+ athletes running through Tenby in various states of rubber dress, goggles and wet suits! 

And actually FB I hadn't thought about the way it shook your legs out for the bike, but yes, it did prepare you for the bike really well.

18/10/2011 at 11:45

Thanks a lot for your comments FB and Pingu, coming from a veteran and a first timer makes great input.

I completely agree that the run to T1, even short ones, makes for great post swim preparation. I can see the arousal impact running to your bike while cheered on for 1km can make! I really hope they keep it the same way since we can use all the help we can take hehe.

It's gonna be an honour to go into transition to be helped by the people who inspired me to do this particular race! /bow

20/10/2011 at 21:26

What the hell have we done?? A moment of madness,a pint to far or perhaps an early mid life crisis clouding our judgement. Two weeks ago everything was fine life was normal, and training was just done as a bit of fun in the evenings with a buddie of mine.. but oh nooo a bright spark has entered us into the ironman next year.

Anyone with any tips guidance or words of wizdom of where to start please share this way..cycling is not the problem as we race and have done quite well in competition over short and long distance its just everything else that goes with the ironman especially swimming !! what the..

Watching from a distance this year was admitably inspirational especially walking into the pub and back out to watch some more ..but entering is a bit touching cloth different at this moment.. 

If we have a yoda out there to pull us from the darkside all words of wizdom would be grateful!!

OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
20/10/2011 at 22:38

welcome rwty

Have a look at the outlaw / fink thread - its rapidly becoming the ewbie / geneal IM training thread of  2012. 

Even though those guys and gals are going early, you wil be going hard, so it could be worth jumping in there, reading back, and using that for general training help / support.

This thread will be great for race specific stuff at IMW, but there are more people training for outlaw........

21/10/2011 at 10:45
welcome RWTY

you won't regret the entry - you'll find the next 11 months training tough, and the race itself even tougher, but you'll have one hell of a big smile when you finish!

they key to starting the build up is to start now and get a good training base in place over winter so you arrive in spring in fine fettle ready to step up a notch. work on your weaknesses and iron out any areas of concern - clearly the biking is no deal so perhaps back off that to work on the swim and run. once the sea gets warm enough next year, get in there to practice - you won't regret that.

and get yourself some pirate kit - there's a thread around for that - so you can get the race support the kit always brings

21/10/2011 at 10:49
Spent well over £1k on race entries alone this year.  Add to that loads on travel, accommodation etc and not to mention loads more on kit, bike bits and bobs and gadgets; this sport is probably going to bankrupt me.  Notwithstanding all that I am sure I will be back at Tenby next year; just need to get my training more race specific - such as: Swimming at the bottom of Niagra Falls, cycling for 60 miles into a wind tunnel with occasional sideways gusts followed by riding up and down a cliff and then finally running into a deluge of icy water.  It could be worse and will - I will also be at Bolton spending the Saturday driving around the various venues dropping off kit, bike etc... Reebok for Race Briefing and Pasta Party.  You end up knackered and thats before the race starts at stupid o clock on Sunday morning.  Surely it is all madness...
21/10/2011 at 11:06
"Surely it is all madness..."

or a sign of creeping desperation that you're getting old

what always amzes me is that we keep doing the bleeding things knowing that they hurt! not for me any longer though - 5 is enough. although 6 has something about it.....
M...eldy    pirate
21/10/2011 at 11:11
Hah !!!!!

I knew it   
21/10/2011 at 11:15
Exactly
21/10/2011 at 11:24

Thank you o.range cannon & mr Buddah Finishing is all that I am after it just was amazing to watch last year so to be in it will be something else..Training is starting as soon as this everlasting flu has gone  

Will have a look for the pirate kit thread..Thank you

Golden Boots    pirate
21/10/2011 at 11:34
fat buddha wrote (see)
 6 has something about it.....

There it is!
21/10/2011 at 11:42
see my new thread.....

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
21/10/2011 at 20:04

"6 has something about it"

Yes indeed! I venture to say, IM isn't the same without FB.

C'mon FB - 16 Sept is my birthday. And I'm night blind so an overnight IM is out of the question.

Edited: 21/10/2011 at 20:07
24/10/2011 at 11:01

Having just got around to watching a recording of the Ironman Wales TV programme (screened a couple of weeks ago) a couple of points seemed worthy of note:

Recalling that my own egress from the sea was rather undignified,  I was encouraged to see that a number of elite athletes were also unceremoniously dumped on the sand.

Even Kirsten Moller (all of 4 stone soaking wet) almost came to a standstill on the hill at Saundersfoot as did I (14.5 stone on a good day) however the similarities ended abruptly as she skipped past me on her final lap of the run as I was lumbering along on my first

Oh happy days!

Hope    pirate
27/10/2011 at 19:23
Ironbloke wrote (see)
Spent well over £1k on race entries alone this year.  Add to that loads on travel, accommodation etc and not to mention loads more on kit, bike bits and bobs and gadgets; this sport is probably going to bankrupt me.  Notwithstanding all that I am sure I will be back at Tenby next year; just need to get my training more race specific - such as: Swimming at the bottom of Niagra Falls, cycling for 60 miles into a wind tunnel with occasional sideways gusts followed by riding up and down a cliff and then finally running into a deluge of icy water.  It could be worse and will - I will also be at Bolton spending the Saturday driving around the various venues dropping off kit, bike etc... Reebok for Race Briefing and Pasta Party.  You end up knackered and thats before the race starts at stupid o clock on Sunday morning.  Surely it is all madness...

That made me properly lol!!
27/10/2011 at 19:36
fat buddha wrote (see

5 is enough. although 6 has something about it.....

Retired my arse!
OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
29/10/2011 at 23:24

I'm in! Bought 'n' paid for
Hokori
Joddly
Kelvyn
OrangeCannon
Slagiatt
Slags mate Tony (forum name tba but he may get stuck with this)
Slowerthanilook
Ultra Ironwolf

Entering but procrastinating on actually paying up
Alan W
thedrainman

Supporting and Volunteering

Iron Pingu
Schmunkee
Mr Zuvai
M..Triumphant
Artful Hen - volunteering

Im in! - all bought and paid for!!!

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
31/10/2011 at 11:52
Great, OC!!!!
waving not drowning!    pirate
05/11/2011 at 20:43

I'm in! Bought 'n' paid for
Hokori
Joddly
Kelvyn
OrangeCannon
Slagiatt
Slags mate Tony (forum name tba but he may get stuck with this)
Slowerthanilook
Ultra Ironwolf

waving not drowning!

Entering but procrastinating on actually paying up
Alan W
thedrainman

Supporting and Volunteering

Iron Pingu
Schmunkee
Mr Zuvai
M..Triumphant
Artful Hen - volunteering

back for another try

08/11/2011 at 09:02
I am considering entering as my girlfriend lives in Pembrokeshire so that would mean free accommodation.However it would be my first IM distance.I have read that it is one of the toughest courses on the circuit which makes me somewhat nervous.
141 to 160 of 888 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.