Ironman Wales 2013

Conquering the dragon beast ...

221 to 240 of 822 messages
The Silent Assassin    pirate
06/02/2013 at 15:06

07/02/2013 at 18:53

Thanks both. 

Gatorade Lemon Thirst Quench and Powerbar gels it is then. Good heads-up about the bottles as I too am that shallow that the prospect of getting a plastic bottle with Ironman printed on it excites me.

chasethepotato.wordpress.com

Edited: 07/02/2013 at 18:53
08/02/2013 at 10:24

Sounds like I need a nice baggy cycling jersey so as to pretend to be the team bidon boy & stick 12 bottles down my jersey.

I wonder how many are on eBay the next day!

The Silent Assassin    pirate
08/02/2013 at 10:25

I know i saw a finishers tshirt on ebay 3 days after

10/02/2013 at 17:59

30 weeks today.

Fink starts tomorrow with a day off.

MTri    pirate
12/02/2013 at 15:29

Nothingbeats a plan that starts with a rest day 

12/02/2013 at 16:35

I even got twelve 20 second rests in the swim today, this Fink bloke is great.

12/02/2013 at 19:21

Sports suppliment shop GNC are selling Lemon Gatorade Series Pro 02 350g powder (i.e. Lemon Thirst Quench) as used in IMW with a buy one get one for £1 promotion. You do need to sign up for their gold discount card but it's just that and not a store credit card or anything. It works out about six quid per tub, which is a fair bit cheaper than I've found it anywhere else so I bought half a dozen. The guy in GNC told me the offer ends tomorrow, so get in there quick! The offer is also online.

http://chasethepotato.wordpress.com/

MTri    pirate
13/02/2013 at 08:21

I must admit I didn't really touch the Gatorade on the race course.  Nutrition on the bike came from an aerobar mounted bottle with 16 gels added, topped up with water, and then all washed down with water.  The odd banana and slice of malt loaf thrown in for a change, and a couple of extra strong mints, just for variety.

Run was just survivial, water, gels, bananas, and then onto coke for the last 10km loop.

Having assisted on an aid station, the strength mix of the Gatorade can vary considerably, so don't try to get too scientific about how many calories you'll be consuming from any drinks from them.

13/02/2013 at 16:51

Interesting to see your food and drink intake for the event, duly noted. I too am a big fan of malt loaf, the most underated energy food out there!

I'll give Gatorade a go as I have to use something when training and have never used it before so think it's best to try as I'll almost certainly take it from the feed stations on the big day. I learned the hard way on the Etape du Tour a few years ago; I took my own powders but it was incredibly hot and I ran out so I tried the official energy drink for the first time at the feed stations and it was awful (don't recall what it was). Water was fine after that, although they eventually ran out of that too and I had to stop at a cafe to buy some.

I also now have a ton of the stuff in the cupboard to get through  ! 

26/02/2013 at 13:02

I decided to blog my way to Tenby, started a couple of weeks ago, for those interested you can find it here http://aztecorange.blogspot.co.uk/

Probably a bit basic for pretty much anyone on here I would imagine, I am aiming it at my work colleagues & the parents at my kids schools who have shown such an interest in the last few months.  They all think I'm soft in the head.

26/02/2013 at 18:59

Nice one Final RV. I know loads of people do blogs when they do an IM but I love doing mine, just writing any old rubbish helps me keep focused and it'll be something to look back on when IMW is a distant memory.

23/03/2013 at 06:07

How's the IMW training going for everyone? I've started my 24 week plan and to celebrate I've caught a stinking cold! Still doing all right though and my training up until the end of this week was really positive.

AndyB99    pirate
23/03/2013 at 07:11

hey guys, you might have read on the imuk thread that i'm out of wales.

a new job (forced through redundancy) has to take priority and i'll be travelling too much to train properly.

we'll still be down there cheering you all on tho!!!

23/03/2013 at 10:56
I just wish the weather would sort itself out boo hoo!! I'm struggling with a foot problem but seem to be keeping on top of it so far hopefully.

Andy - really sorry to hear that, but good news on new job.

Ctpotato - so many germs around just now! Hope it clears quickly.
23/03/2013 at 17:30

Week 6 of Fink, followed religously so far apart from a few weeks ago I ran the Bath Half, sod staying in HR Zone 2, its flat so PB possible, sadly not but a respectable 1:34 in the end.

Long ride today was 2 hours, in the snow, I did it on my Hybrid, god it was hard work.

Andy, I was in your boat a few weeks ago, I turned down a new job & one of the main reasons was I wouldn't be able to train like I do now, there were other factors but that was a big one for me.  This weather can't continue, can it?

AndyB99    pirate
24/03/2013 at 09:58

hey final...yeah i know that feeling...couple of years ago i turned down a job so i can train....however...i feel i've nothing to prove now...i have the medal and although wales was important to me....the job i have landed is an amazing opportunity.

i'll stay in the thread...and see you all at the finish in tenby!!!

24/03/2013 at 14:22

I've posted an update on my Ironman blog, Chase The Potato.

http://chasethepotato.wordpress.com/2013/03/24/dodge-duck-dip-dive-and-dodge/

My cold's much better today, thankfully.

24/03/2013 at 20:59

Ok, I'm now doing IMUK and IMWales, training was all going well until I picked up an achilles injury so running is now off limits for a few weeks although all seems ok with swim and bike. Bloody achilles injury means I can run a half marathon in decent time and then hobble for two days.

Can't wait for Tenby (last year was superb). For those wondering about food intake, I finished the marathon last year on coke and ritz biscuits. My food intake plan went well until the run and started to unravel during the 2nd and 3rd run loops when my body decided my mind was a moron (something my wife already knew apparently!)

Whatever your plan, you will finish.

25/03/2013 at 08:22
Doing it for the first time this yr.. So daunting. God bless Mr Fink... Just wish the cold weather would vanish so I can get out of the torture chamber that is my turbo room... Anyone else finding as cardio endurance increases it's harder to get to a training HR without burning your legs off with Watts.. I know it's a good thing but God it hurts
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.