Ironman Wales 2013

Conquering the dragon beast ...

81 to 100 of 822 messages
01/10/2012 at 10:56
slowerthanilook wrote (see)

Hokori's from warmer climes, Andy. He'll be back to answer for himself, I'm sure, but it got proper cold, wet and blustery on the bike and I think he basically froze over.

You are too kind on me my friend. I struggle in hot races since I moved here to the beautiful Albion due to reverse conditioning and I actually thought an 18C degree race would be the perfect thing for me.

I am not really sure how cold rollercoaster hill biking was better to a couple of moderate hills in mainland europe summer weather like Regens in my mind but that with the extra time to train and the life changing reports from last year I was sold to Wales.

The thing is the race is an absolute perfect match to the ironman dream challenge. Support on the day is the stuff of legend and it greatly distracts from its difficulty. If only the weather was not so changing.

My problems this year all rolled down from underestimating the effect of cold water swimming for 1h30min. I saved my legs a bit too much and I experienced a bit of cold muscle cramping on the second lap. Coming out of the water I did not overdid it on the way to transition in the way of running too hard.

However I never seemed to warm up. I took weather protection with me but no arm warmers as I hated them in my trial rides. I went for warmer base clothing instead but left the rain coat in the bike bag in transition as I thought it would be too hot a combo (tested in 20C no rain trial). I started soon with little leg cramp niggles on my quads, too early to be anything else but cold muscle based. They were never a big issue until Wisemans when I cramped really hard on my quads as I stood up, and to my shame walked it. I powered through Saundersfoot but I was prevented from out of the saddle riding since the start of the ride due to my quad issues.

On my second lap in the rain I started shivering as my effort on the bike lowered due to fatigue and eventually as you say I pretty much froze over. I struggled long before deciding to pull out as I definitely thought I could not go like this on the descents from Narbeth to Tenby.

I spent 10 months exclusively training for this event. I did 100 milers like HHH and beyond that like the Dragon Ride and the Alpe D'Huez triathlon that I also DNF'd due to mechanical issues in preparation for Wales. I not only felt prepared but I also looked forward to the realization of a dream.

It has taken me a bit to realize lining up at an Ironman is a feat on itself and that the array of challenges these races have beyond the endurance test are many and they can derail the day of many a seasoned veteran.

If any of you race Wales for your first Ironman make the most of your day regardless of how long it happens to be on the day as this race is an Ironman exemplar. You will read many people size you up for your bravery as this is not as easy as it looks.

And if you need any hardcore mind tips on how to tackle this race just ask Slag(as seen on TV). The dude was an original IMW finisher on his first IM and has completed the race last year.

See you guys next year!

AndyB99    pirate
03/10/2012 at 12:06

good stuff hokori....i dnf'd my first IM (IMUK) and came back much stronger the year after to finish strong and proud (also seen on TV...lol)

really looking forward to wales

05/10/2012 at 20:23

Been lurking here for a while so hello.

IMW 2013 will be my first IM distance race having decided to get back into the sport this year after a 22 year break.  Looking forward to it especially as I holidayed all over this area as a child & the Angle feed station is in front of my Grandfathers (now deceased) house.

Iron Pingu    pirate
06/10/2012 at 08:29

Hello Final RV

OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
06/10/2012 at 20:02

22 years!!

Welcome back!

Still prevaricating myself... Challenge henley, IM Wales or Challenge Bathelona.

IM Wales is recommended though

08/10/2012 at 14:48

Hello there!

I cant wait either. OC, Barna is amazing I heard and the weather is probably going to be very nice albeit a bit windy. We expect you to come Wales though

08/10/2012 at 14:55

@Andy ... I can only hope mate. I was devastated as I never thought I would hop off the bike.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
20/10/2012 at 21:38

My OH has informed that once again he will pay for my entry for this for my christmas.the only other time he has done this was last IMW when i didn't finish...........I hope he doesn't buy a dud ticket again

22/10/2012 at 17:24

I am sure it wont! I trust to see us both through this time!

22/10/2012 at 17:26

I have to inform that I will do Barna 1 month after Wales next year due to Barna becoming spanish tritards championships for my mates over there ...

As seen on FB my schedule for 2013 is now:

IMLanza / Alpe D'Huez Long / IMWales / ChallBarna

The Silent Assassin    pirate
25/10/2012 at 11:43

just found this, on the whole its one mans journey at IM Wales

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz4jlccN3Y8

but if you go 11:15 in to the video, who is that? Bobby Nobby?

03/11/2012 at 08:44
seren nos wrote (see)

My OH has informed that once again he will pay for my entry for this for my christmas.the only other time he has done this was last IMW when i didn't finish...........I hope he doesn't buy a dud ticket again

Gimme a slap for saying this, but I thought u finished in 2011, when I met you with M.Tri?  

What happened?

I've decided my DNF at IMWales in 2011 was character building.  I've also decided I now have enough character! 

Here's to us all crossing the line in style in 2013 

03/11/2012 at 14:58

no its my one DNF......missed the bike cutoff by 10 mins.........too many things went wrong in the build up and i wasn't stong enough on the bike ..my legs just weren't working

03/11/2012 at 15:01

Bugger 

Well you got further than me on the bike!  I was pulled off the course at 92 miles by the sag wagon who told me there was no way I'd make the cut off.  Best swim of my life followed by worst ever bike!

How was your swim?

03/11/2012 at 15:08

ok.about normal just over 1:30.and loved it...........but got on the bike and my legs wouldn't work...pushed and oushed even in the last few miles hopeing they would be lenient on the cutoff.but not to be.............

didn't go back this year as i knew i would have to rest well after the double

so have a some unfunished business next year

Golden Boots    pirate
07/11/2012 at 07:51

Oh dear... best friend has signed up as an introduction to triathlon... says it will be his only one... needs support... the seed of temptation has been planted

I hate my friends!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
07/11/2012 at 10:17

Go on GB, get your entry in.  The we can have a sweepstake on whic corner you'll fall off.  My money's on Wiseman's Bridge

07/11/2012 at 11:36

Any other IMW'ers planning on some reconnaisance time next year?

I was thinking about doing a Sat & Sun on the bike course early season, May? Saturday do the big loop of 70 odd then Sunday the 40 loop.  Coming back say July time to do the full distance on a Saturday & maybe take in 2 laps of the run on the Sunday morning.

After all time spent in reconaisance is time well spent.

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
07/11/2012 at 11:41

Final RV, sounds like a good plan, im not doing Wales next year so wont be there but just responding to let you know there is a Long Course Training weekend organised by the IM Wales team 14/07/2013

http://www.longcourseweekend.com/

AndyB99    pirate
07/11/2012 at 11:41

Hi Final...yep...we're gonna be there (staying at kiln park from the 4th) for a week from the may bank holiday weekend.....mate of mine is gonna take us round and you'd be welcome to join.

lots of people will go and do the long course weekend in July too (though i cant make it) which will give you the chance to do all three course of different days to see how you stack up.

81 to 100 of 822 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.