Ironman Wales 2013

Conquering the dragon beast ...

141 to 160 of 822 messages
14/12/2012 at 18:33

Why not?...I would do the whole bike distance, will be a massive boost to you when you complete it.

Before my first i knew i could run a mara distance having done some before, so in the training i swam the distance and cycled several 100m plus rides....knew i could do them individually just had to put the together...on one day...one after the other......

14/12/2012 at 18:41

And as for the LCW...would like to do the swim and bike bits...not fussed about the run part.

seren nos    pirate
14/12/2012 at 19:22

i would definitely do the fuill swim and the full bike........if i was free...and then either no run or half the run........the run isn't the ironman course and you will have more chance of getting injured on that than on the others

seren nos    pirate
15/12/2012 at 09:19

I was wearing my ironman wales cycling jersey on the turbo this morning..........have left in the draw for over a year as it reminds me of my failure.........

but today i wore it as i am convinced that it was not beat me next year

Slagiatt    pirate
15/12/2012 at 12:36
Not been on for a while so catching up on news ... Flat footed , so you are doing Wales . Awesome .. Need to get out on some training rides with you in the new year fella

Riodog , Wales is an amazing course , a combination of race day atmosphere (which is just incredible)and determination will see you through (oh and some training), especially if you have some doubters to shut up . Best thing I did though was to "go pirate" and borrow some yellow and black .. Can't explain just how much the pirate support factor helps.. Has to be experienced to be believed.
17/12/2012 at 09:32

Thanks for that Seren and FF.  Have spent the weekend re-doing my schedule a bit to do the full swim and bike that weekend.  Nothing quite as satisfying as fiddling with spreadsheets 

seren nos    pirate
30/12/2012 at 14:58

right..........been looking for a half between outlaw and wales and the only suitable date is the cotswolds one which is flat.............so I'm looking to try and visit tenby around the 2nd weekend in august for some bike practice............

30/12/2012 at 15:45
I have literally just come in from driving the cycle route main loop. I'm glad I have already paid as I can't back out now... Terrified doesn't cover it!!!
seren nos    pirate
30/12/2012 at 16:36

its very scenic but it definitely a tough one.............9 months to train.........if a body can turn a single cell into a fully functioning baby in 9 months..then we can all train our bodies to handle those hills

30/12/2012 at 17:37
Ha ha, that's true!

On the other hand, at the rate it's going here at the moment, the cycle route will be in the sea and we'll be swimming the 112 miles as well! It's very sodden with lots of closed roads. Kiln Park is a lake... Probably reminds you of 2011
01/01/2013 at 20:00
Anyone have any idea if/when this sold out last year?

Want to enter but haven't got the spare cash yet
01/01/2013 at 20:01
I don't think it sold out last year - but neither did IM UK and that has already sold out for 2013, so a bit hard to predict...
02/01/2013 at 15:37

Happily recommend Bluestone Holiday Park as accomodation, especially if anybody's taking family or friends along. A real quality location. Not cheap, but nice.

LCW last year was excellent preparation and really well organised. The LCW swim actually felt like a bigger event than the IMW swim did! And if you don't fancy the full distance ride at that point in your programme, you can always just do the first lap (circa 72 miles I think) and then bimble off to do a bit more of the "interesting" stuff around Saundersfoot and Wiseman's Bridge.

The IMW run was horrible. Good idea to do plenty of hill work, because there are no flat, straight bits . At all .

The Silent Assassin    pirate
02/01/2013 at 15:44

Really hoping to get down for the IM Wales weekend, just to cheer you lot on.

02/01/2013 at 16:11
Like SA im hoping to be around that weekend but Im not taking part again this year
02/01/2013 at 16:13

Seren - Good on you for the turbo.  Time to kill the dragon  I'll be right there with you (only probably further back!)

Anyone have any suggestions for a decent wheelset for the course - had mavic ksyrium elites last time and was wondering what if anything to upgrade them to?

seren nos    pirate
02/01/2013 at 16:40

I have no idea on bikes.i can tell you the colour though

MTri    pirate
02/01/2013 at 16:41

Good question sonof.., I'm looking to move from road bike to TT this year, and the wheels I get will need to be suitable, looking at carbon/allow wheels, deeper rear than front

02/01/2013 at 16:52

What did you use last time M..Tri?

I'm after something that has an non-carbon braking surface.... I'm thinking about it now, cos I know I'll have to save up!

MTri    pirate
02/01/2013 at 16:56

Standard allow road wheels that came with the bike.  I;ve tried all carbon tubular wheels, and OK with swisstop pads, but prefer the allow braking surface, and whatever wheels I get will need to be training and racing wheels, can't afford to have both.

141 to 160 of 822 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.