Ironman Wales 2013

Conquering the dragon beast ...

161 to 180 of 822 messages
02/01/2013 at 17:08
M..TRIumphant wrote (see)

Standard allow road wheels that came with the bike.  I;ve tried all carbon tubular wheels, and OK with swisstop pads, but prefer the allow braking surface, and whatever wheels I get will need to be training and racing wheels, can't afford to have both.

Yup - same for me.  And would prefer clinchers, as I already have 60 quids worth of race tyres sat waiting!

03/01/2013 at 09:55

I ran 60mm clinchers for the race last year (and Long Course Weekend); the dirt-cheap Chinese ones via ebay. I had no problems with them. Only place I got bothered by crosswinds on either ride was the 500 metres along the beach at Angle on LCW when it was Force 5. Take your point about the braking performance, M..Tri.... lots of hard braking required on wet lanes and slippery leaves... but it was all fine. In summary - no need to sweat too much over your wheel choice .

AndyB99    pirate
04/01/2013 at 13:43

cant stop andy (SoS) from buying things can we??

its gonna be ace this year mate.

i dont think you need new wheels...the ones you've got are great (similar to RS80s i run) and to make a big gain you'll have to spend about a grand....may as well pay Jase to coach you for half that!!!

You'll be reet without new wheels this year...i just KNOW it!!!

04/01/2013 at 14:32
AndyB99 wrote (see)

cant stop andy (SoS) from buying things can we??

its gonna be ace this year mate.

i dont think you need new wheels...the ones you've got are great (similar to RS80s i run) and to make a big gain you'll have to spend about a grand....may as well pay Jase to coach you for half that!!!

You'll be reet without new wheels this year...i just KNOW it!!!!

Hey!  I haven't bought anything for the bike for ages and ages!

Provided Beatrice stays well this year, that Dragon's going DOWN!

05/01/2013 at 21:07
Is there any way of finding out how many have entered, I fancy this after spectating last year but haven't got the cash yet. Don't want to miss out
07/01/2013 at 22:58
Jedwards, I had an email from the Ironmen people today saying UK 70.3 nearly full, so I guess (but don't know) they will do this for Wales too and give a bit of prior warning. If I hear anything I will post it here (as I'm sure others would too). Hope you don't miss out.
08/01/2013 at 06:00
Thank you Leah
MTri    pirate
08/01/2013 at 16:53

The deed is done, the entry confirmed, and accommodation booked.  Long Course full distance swim and bike also entered, together with Wimbleball as a nice warm-up.

Off now to lie down in a dark room, and think about what I've done.

MTri    pirate
08/01/2013 at 16:54

Oh yeay, bike fit Saturday for a nice shiny TT.

And next week sorting out travel and accommodation for Challenge Vitoria in July.

2013 is the year I break myself, financially, physically and mentally

08/01/2013 at 16:56

If the course has the amount of climbing people keep mentioning, would a road bike be a better choice then a TT bike for this?

seren nos yn canu    pirate
08/01/2013 at 17:40

glad to have you on board M.tri...........will you be taff swimming this summer

08/01/2013 at 18:35

A TT bike wouldn't be an issue, FF.

MTri    pirate
08/01/2013 at 19:55
Seren, yep, I'll be up for some swims in the Taff, but not quite yet
08/01/2013 at 21:23

FF, I don't have a TT bike, but a road bike has been fine for me at both IMWs so far - and although it wasn't too windy last year, in 2011 quite a few people were struggling with their TT bikes (I know because I passed plenty !)

08/01/2013 at 21:28

Cheers Jods, I have both but i'm more comfortable on hills and technical courses on my road bike.

Think i may give the long course weekend a punt on the road bike and make a choice after that.

08/01/2013 at 21:32

It's not v technical, but there are certainly some decent hills - I'd go for the lightest choice, but LCW should help you decide.

The Silent Assassin    pirate
09/01/2013 at 08:43

FF

What do you descend best on?

some of the descents are a bit technical with bad bends at the bottom

MTri    pirate
09/01/2013 at 11:09

Subject to getting a TT, I'll be trying it out at the LCW to see how it does, and then make a decision.

Noted about some of the descents being technical, the one into Narbeth before the climb into town was particularly unpleasant (if I remember correctly), bu quite a few of the ascents and descents were fairly striaght forward, so it's still a tough call.

Having volunteered in 2012, there were a lot more TT bikes on the course than in 2011, I think the feedback generally was that TT bikes were suitable, although 2011 did have stronger winds, but that really had a biger impact on wheel choice than bike choice.

09/01/2013 at 22:36

I did the LCW 2012 on a road bike and IM Wales 2012 on a TT. Added 30 minutes to my time using the TT bike and within 10 miles wished I was back on the road bike.

I'm doing IMUK 2013 and tempted to do IM Wales again as well. If I do will definitely use road bike. To be fair though my TT bike experience was pretty limited, but with all the hills the road bike was just more comfortable to ride for me.

As always, it's what you're comfortable with and would recommend the LCW if only to get an idea of the course. A good weekend as well.

Good luck to those doing it, 2012 was an amazing event, support is fantastic especially at the end of the first bike loop and during the marathon sections in Tenby.

12/01/2013 at 16:43

SA, i'm best on my road bike tbh, i have a TT but options toi use it are limited...wonder why i bought it some days.

161 to 180 of 822 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.