Is this a mad way to start?

221 to 240 of 56,022 messages
17/09/2007 at 20:46

I've jsut looked at this and there seems to be a lot of over excitement.  With an injury history then all you need to do is tick over until Christmas - 6 months is plenty of time to build and get bored.

Mon - Recovery Run, tue - technique swim, Wed - medium bike into structured turbo.  Thu technique swim, fri Rest and drink beer, Sat 10 mile of so run max.  Sunday - work on winter miles makes summer smiles on the bike. My professionally made plan had no more than 3 hours by christmas. 

There are plenty of plan out there, but really just learn to swim and ride the bike 

kittenkat    pirate
17/09/2007 at 20:52

Thanks Nam, would LOVE you and TT to come. x

Gumps, I think you're right. I'll build up my leg again with swimming (can already see the quad atrophy and the calf will be worse)

I have good faith in my running, the cycling seems to be where it really counts. I have faith I can be ok, but I just need to develop the specific fitness as 5/6 years of little x-trainingfrom running is going to go against me.

kittenkat    pirate
17/09/2007 at 20:53
I think blind and naive faith is going to get me through a large part of this.......
Garr    pirate
17/09/2007 at 20:53

I'd like Nam and TT to come.

I'd LOVE at least one of them to do it!

Garr    pirate
17/09/2007 at 20:56

KK, while I'm still introducing you to the novelties of tri...

Clipless pedals:  they're the one's you 'clip' into.  The sort we were talking about earlier.

Clips are in fact straps that effectively tie you onto the bike.

You want the clipless sort, and you'll just have to get used to the perverse terminology.

17/09/2007 at 20:57
actually thinking about it, if you could fit in 2 more swims - no need for more than 1/2 hour at first and no more than 100m at a time working on technique you will be sorted.
Nam
17/09/2007 at 20:58

You know I just had a driunken flash-back from a SW social...  This is all Garr's fault...  Didn't he try to talk us into doing winter 'Tough Guy' as well....??!!

I'd LOVE at least one of them to do it!

Ha!!  Smooth!!!  You know even when he's not well he'd still have more of a chance to get round than me when I'm well!  LOL!

Garr    pirate
17/09/2007 at 21:00
Nam... if you'd met the burger boys Carl and Oxy, you would not doubt yourself!
Nam
17/09/2007 at 21:01

"perverse terminology"

You'll be talking groupsets in a minute...

Nam
17/09/2007 at 21:03
I've never swum in a wet suit... does the boyancy really help that much?
Garr    pirate

Btw, the only reason we didn't do TG this year is because we left it too late and it was too expensive by then.  We are definitely doing it again next year.  Tiger-skin loin clothes an' all.

I'll put your name down.

Nam
I've met Carl!
kittenkat    pirate
17/09/2007 at 21:04

Garr, Do2 texted me...... have you tried to bring him into your harem yet?

We've got a game plan, I've started emailing local bike shops to see what they can offer, I've got in touch with the local tri club to see how they can help and where they get their gear.

I've bought a mask thingy for swimming

I've ordered a recommended book on Amazon

I've emailed Swiss Bobby about accommodation

I'm going to ring round the local swimming pools to see if someone can help with my complete lack of technique

Mr kk is putting out the feelers to the tri people at his work - and there are a few...

I think when I'm out of plaster, I'll get a list from you guys about what I need bike wise and more importantly what questions I should be asking the bike shop.

17/09/2007 at 21:04

Burgers at Lanza (plus Dermot, Rosey and Cartman)

Swim and Bike

The rest - watch the finishing emotions

kittenkat    pirate
17/09/2007 at 21:05
The ONLY reason I have enough bottle to even think of doing this is because of the forum.
17/09/2007 at 21:06
Ask the local tri club about 1:1 swim coaching.  I had great lessons from a nutcase
Garr    pirate
17/09/2007 at 21:08
Nam yes because it makes you lie flat in the water, so someone who would normally 'drag their legs' suddenly becomes, errr, hydrodynamic, and surprisingly efficient.
kittenkat    pirate
17/09/2007 at 21:10

That's inspiring Gumps.!

I want to just cross that finishing line.....

Right, off to draw more inspiration - Shaun of the Dead is on!

I've been genuinely very touched by all the online support, emails and phone calls I've received today.

I'm going to trade you in for zombies now

Garr    pirate
17/09/2007 at 21:15
KK, I've not mentioned it to DoT. I reckon he can be roped in with a simple £5 bet that I'll beat him by 30min. He seems to be the kinda guy who will respond well to a challenge.
JD.    pirate
17/09/2007 at 21:31
ah lanzarotte, that was excellent wasn't it!  those clips bring it all back.
JD.
221 to 240 of 56,022 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.