301 to 320 of 56,022 messages
kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 12:20
and turn the page.
kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 12:24

I got a reply!

Hi Kate

Thanks for your e:mail. Sorry, but you do sound a bit mad - with the broken ankle, not the plans for your first Triathlon!  But good on you - it's never too late to have a go at something!

You are, of course, most welcome to come along to the swimming sessions. There are all abilities that come. The sessions cover three speeds, so each lane does the same set (mostly FC), just less of it, depending on their speed. Of course you will need separate coaching until you can get the FC thing sorted! But I'm happy to help if you would like me to!

We recently had a lady who could only do head up FC, and I have been working with her to improve on that - she is doing really well!

So yes, I can definitely help you with your stroke, and this can be done during the sessions.

As you probably already know, training is Monday 7-8pm, and Thursdays 8-9pm, although M/moor will be closed for maintainance from Thurs 18 Oct to Fri 23 Nov, which is a bit of a nuisance! I understand the Tri Club are trying to obtain some space with Dawlish swimming club, but I'm not sure how that will work, or whether I will be required there or not yet.

If you would like some one2one lessons in the meantime, I work at Lords Meadow Leisure Centre, Crediton, and could do you 1/2 hour lessons, which would cost £10 (standard set charge). Alternatively, you could wait until the swimming sessions are back on at m/moor and I can help you there.

Do e:mail me if you have any other questions, or if I can help in any way.

Hope the ankle is soon better!

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
18/09/2007 at 12:30
Id say 1-2-1 sessions are definatly the way to go intially, one a week for 6 weeks will get you going quite well, then have top up sessions every 2-3 weeks to refine your stroke.

A bit of an expense but I dont think youll get the individual attention youll need going to the group sessions, or not until youve had 3-4 lessons and are on the right track.
kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 12:30

Yeah yeah yeah!

Just wrote back saying I would love to start with private lessons as soon as I can after getting out of plaster!

kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 12:32
Barley, I'm thinking maybe 2 sessions a week for a few weeks? Or do I need one session and then use my other swim time to build up distance?
18/09/2007 at 12:47
At the moment go for as much coaching as you can to get your technique right.  There will be plenty of time to build up the distance later.
Garr    pirate
18/09/2007 at 13:09

Agreed Mister W.  KK, it's important to get your technique correct asap.  When you are swimming alone, just concentrate on doing what your instructor has told you.  If you go for distance, you'll get tired, stop stroking correctly, and end up practicing bad technique, which overall will create negative progress and waste your money on personal tuition.

Just do 2-4 lengths at a time when you are swimming alone, until you reach the point where you get to the end of 4 strong, good technique, lengths and you're feeling fit as a fiddle and hardly out of breath.  Well, not quite, but you know what I mean.

kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 13:22
Ok, I can't afford more than 2 a week and maybe I'll have to cut that down to one after a couple of weeks. She has her work cut out, but I really would love to be able to FC. Mr kk has rung and told me he's putting out the feelers at work for help too as they have a lot of fit blokes there........
kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 13:25

Mr kk can help me with the basics of the bike when I eventually get it but I'll need someone to go into further depth I guess........

By the time the open water season comes around I should hopefully be able to swim with the tri club?

I'm really worried that I won't be able to FC as I've tried for years

Garr    pirate
18/09/2007 at 13:27

KK, once you get a pool boy between your legs, you'll find you're stroking becomes much easier.

Or is that pull buoy?

Garr    pirate
18/09/2007 at 13:28
Seriously though, when you're legs are static and you only need to think about your arms, it'll make things a lot simpler.
kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 13:30

pool boy

Now, that's my problem, I lack upper body strength, that's something I'm going to have to work on!

18/09/2007 at 13:30
Agree with Garr - disengaging my legs has been a great help over recent weeks in terms of body position etc.  They were really carp before that being a natural breaststroker - yes I know boys
18/09/2007 at 13:31

you could probably do soem weights even with your ankle KK

18/09/2007 at 13:33
and to a large extent you can also forget about your legs in a wetsuit as the buoyancy helps keep them up, so training with a pull buoy mimics wetsuit swimming
kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 13:34

I would actually say that backstroke is my fastest stroke, but that's not very practical is it?

So Maddy, how easy do you find FC?

kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 13:35
so it is all about upper body strength fb?
Garr    pirate
18/09/2007 at 13:35

KK, as has been mentioned before, swimming is nearly all about technique.  I have quite a lot of upper-body strength.  I used to think I was a decent swimmer till I went with my girlfriend at the time and she utterly kicked my ar5e.  Strength counts for squat if you have bad technique.  Ergo isn't strong (sorry Ergo), and she's a way better swimmer than most pirates.

And then you've got people like Pebble who is a human fortress, but named himself Pebble because he swims like one!!

kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 13:38
Once I've learnt a skill, I'm actually quite good at taking it on board. It looks like the only times she can offer me is Sat morning and Wed lunch. The Wednesday is no good because of childcare but I'll jump at Saturdays. Also hopefully somone will jump in who can give me a few pointers as well....
18/09/2007 at 13:42

ermm also agree with fb there - I need my legs in pool swims (otherwise they sink) but not in a wetsuit

KK it is OK now - I like open water because once I get the sighting right I can relax and cruise.  But it was a bit of a struggle at first and breathing is still a bit of an issue (I try too hard) but is slowly getting better

301 to 320 of 56,022 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.