Is this a mad way to start?

341 to 360 of 55,994 messages
18/09/2007 at 14:47
Re sighting - Ican turn 180 degrees in about 8 strokes on a bad day
flyaway    pirate
18/09/2007 at 14:48

Yeah, I guess a turbo would help. Hence the advice to save pennies, because from what I've been told, cheap ones are VERY noisy....which would wake the 3yr old and 5yr old....

Thats good about your neighbors, maybe ask if they are willing to make a regular commitment to looking after the kids on a weekday so you can bike?

I'm sorry, I sound so negative, which isnt my intention because like I said, I'm not done an IM yet, so really, I dont know!

flyaway    pirate
18/09/2007 at 14:49
Hilly is good though, as training for Nice!
kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 14:57

flyaway, I think I'm going to have to be very pragmatic about this and plan my weeks, things will happen like illness, the kids being ill etc.... a turbo trainer would definitely help.

I really am aiming just to get through it........ and I'm sure that friends will pick the kittlest one up from preschool and have her for a couple of hours. they're doing it now I'm in plaster... and I'll just return the favour on other days...

Cheerful Dave    pirate
18/09/2007 at 15:05
They can be noisy, but paying more doesn't mean you'll automatically get a quieter one.  Some brands/types are quieter than others, and using a turbo-specific tyre can help too, I'm told.  I use a tacx which isn't too bad but I have to use earphones to listen to music.  I've never managed to wake my children with it but I'm using it in the loft rather than the next room.
kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 15:07
I'll have to use the next room but my kids will probably sleep through it, it's Mr kk who is the light sleeper.....
kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 15:09

I've just read through the whole of the thread about Mr Bump and his pedals, whilst it was very funny and I got the pedals bit, I didn't understand a word of the rest of it! Oh, except I now know the significance of Pringles..

This is going to be good when I go into a bike shop....

kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 15:25

Ooh I'm impressed with this reply to my query about what a shop could offer me:

Hi Kate

We can certainly provide you with that service, a number of my

colleagues have had training in 'Body Geometry bike fit'. We would

normally associate the jig with building a handmade bicycle (static

fit). We would like to see you pedaling the bicycle in order to

accommodate the best fit. Useing a turbo trainer so we can see excactly

what your body is doing and adjust things accordingly, which will take

in to account your cycle fittness and flexability (dynamic fit).

We have a book you can borrow, which might be of help, Its by a Dr. Andy

Pruett who in his time has helped numerous world class tour riders, and

he explains the restictions of static fit and the benifits of dynamic fit.

If you would like to speak to Luke in our Exeter shop or Mike in our

Crediton Shop they would to happy to discuss it further.

Regards Dan

The Bike Shed

kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 15:25
Would I understand the book if I borrowed it?
kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 15:26
Er, is it a good reply...?
18/09/2007 at 15:27
nope
18/09/2007 at 15:30
kk - you need someone you can trust who can help you with bike choice, turbos etc and is knowledgable - just rolling up at a bike shope with MUG written on the forehead is likley to demoralise and baffle you.......do you have any friends who are good club cyclists??
kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 15:40
I habve MTB friends but no road cyclists really...
kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 15:45
This is going to be a steep learning curve on so many levels...
18/09/2007 at 15:45

I agree again with FB - I bought my bike by myself - test rode several and bought the one that felt 'best' - the set up was tweaked by the clubs bike guru - who literally sat me on it on a turbo looked at it asked how it felt and made lots of small adjustments - always asking for feedback and if it felt wrong why?

kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 15:50

Is there a good Uk Triathlon magazine?

Mrkk has some knowledge of bikes and not many people try to rip him off, however I don't think he would have enough knowledge.....

WildWill    pirate
18/09/2007 at 15:53

Tri a few and buy the one that is the most comfortable - you are more likely to ride it if its comfy ... never mind what he math says ...

COMFORT = WILL RIDE = WILL GET BETTER = WILL ACHIVE

kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 15:55

well, there are a good few places around here to try... I guess if we visit them all I'll have a wide range to choose from..

18/09/2007 at 15:55

And if most of it fits but not some of the accesory stuff doesn't quite work remember you can change things - like the saddle - going to change mine soon

18/09/2007 at 15:58
the key to any bike is the frame - components can be changed and/or upgraded.............so get a good frame

autumn is a good time to buy as shops will be clearing 2007 stock in prep for 2008 stock in the New year so there will be some good deals to be had..........

as for saddles - getting one you're happy with can be a lifetime's search!!
341 to 360 of 55,994 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.