Is this a mad way to start?

381 to 400 of 56,022 messages
18/09/2007 at 18:49

i found this when i was ahem looking around the internetty

disclaimer NO NO NO ..i dont DO running I dont want to ever DO running a marathon

unless i could power mince??

kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 18:51

Thanks Buney *mwah*

I'm also having random stupid thoughts like..... can I waterprrof my Garmin and wear it all the way round?

kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 18:53
Also, i know nothing about bikes, what if it breaks on the day??
18/09/2007 at 18:55

have you got a stationary bike at all ?

maybe a useful if you cant get a turbot trainer

have you got any weights and gym ball - you could do some core stability and upper body stuff now while you are waiting for that ankle to heal and that would be useful for your swimming and biking i reckon ( MTB seems to help me get a bit stronger )

18/09/2007 at 18:56
i dunno - you might be able to borrow one - but you need to know how to fix punctures, put your chain back on and unstick things that might get stuck at least - but you have got ages to get all that stuff havent you?
kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 18:58

Another thing..... during my degree we were put in ability groups for practical lectures, one was dictated by your ability in gymnastics (Group 1 top *polishes halo*); the other one was dictated by your swimming ability (group 6  - will drown if taken out of the baby pool). Ok I knew I was crap but not only was I in the bottom group but I was (a) the only student to fall randomly into the pool after she got changed into poolside clothes, and (b) the most used student in demonstrations of appalling stroke technique.

There was one bloke worse than me, he just regularly sank - now that was funny!

Garr    pirate
18/09/2007 at 18:59

If you get a puncture on the day, make sure you can fix it.  You need appropriate tools to take off the tyre (tyre levers), put a new inner tube on (new inner tube and your hands!), and pump it up (air cylinder and attachment).  About £15 for that lot, plus £5 for a new inner tube.

Sensible to take a tubular tyre, just in case your tyres blows completely, but this is very unlikely.

A chain tool, very small, cheap, and easy to use.

The only big problem you'll have is if you wheel breaks or something, but then there will be an emergency vehicle to help you out.  Odds on you needing the emergency help are virtually nil.  Don't even worry about it!

kittenkat    pirate
What's a stationary bike?

but that is also stuff you will probably get used to on those long training rides

i dont think i could even entertain the idea of IM distance ..i was totally in awe of Jane Tomlinson doing it

Garr    pirate
18/09/2007 at 19:01

Terminology:

clinchers - the kind of tyres you will be used to.

tubular - instead of hooking into the rim, it's a proper tube that sits over the rim and is held in place with a very strong adhesive.

18/09/2007 at 19:01

Exercise Bike ?

better than nothing if you get a half decent one for indoor biking - lots of people do Spinning classes too dont they ?

kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 19:02
Sorry, daft question Buney
18/09/2007 at 19:03
i started doing some bike/powermince/swim training in the gym up until a few weeks ago when i lost the plod -but im only intersted in those mini tri things
kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 19:05

you've made me think of klinkers Garr, and they're something entirely different!

Buney, erm, can't afford an exercise bike and with the children issue it probably makes more sense to get a turbo trainer.

Why don't you come out to Nice for a week holiday in June? Nam and TT are considering it!

18/09/2007 at 19:06

most peeps will probably tell you they are no good but an exercise bike would be better than no cyling at all in the winter if you cant get out much (and havent got a bike and turbot ) or can only get to a gym?

have you ever had proper swimming lessons tho ?

DG is very uncoordinated but managed to do the swim so im sure you will be ok  with a few one to ones

18/09/2007 at 19:07

lol what date is it ?

- i would love to but it will depend on pennies as i may be seriously broke by then (or before)

kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 19:09

lol at powermince!

Buney, the only reason I've rashly done this is because I am so naive about triathlons that the distance at this point is irrelevant. I veer between genuine fear that I'm going to look a complete tw*t and get nowhere near the distance I need and..... the thought that I can do it from scratch, I wouldn't have entered if I couldn't foster that belief.

kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 19:10
No, not had swimming lessons... it's June 22nd I think....
Nam
18/09/2007 at 19:13

and you need very flexible ankles for FC kick

Whoohoo!!!  I knew my floppy ankles would have some use of some sort... 

Shame about my running tho...

kittenkat    pirate
18/09/2007 at 19:18

Nam - you and TT must come out to Nice, it'll be such fun. Mr kk has booked the time off and i think we'll go for a week....

Really tri

381 to 400 of 56,022 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.