Is this a mad way to start?

401 to 420 of 56,022 messages
Dark Vader    pirate
18/09/2007 at 19:46

Aren't bike tyres available in 'run flat' variety, like car tyres...?

I have a proper ex-gym spin cycle that I already use and no doubt it will be used a lot this winter...    kk..  maybe look for one of these on ebay..?

I have a Schwinn Johnny G Pro Spin Bike.  I think I only paid about £60 for it on ebay..

kittenkat    pirate
19/09/2007 at 06:59

Before I read back, this is the question I woke up thinking about and it is a serious one.

What happens when I need a pooh, which I will do if I'm out all day. I guess there are toilets but what do you do with your bike on the cycle leg? And what if there's a queue? And I get er 'performance anxiety in other people's toilets, especially public ones, surely I can't afford to sit there for 20 minutes??

And regarding no 1s - do people just pee themselves or is it more civilised? Surely the top guys can't afford to lose any time, what do they do??

kittenkat    pirate
19/09/2007 at 07:09

Right I've read back now -ha ha, just wanted to get the above question out.

Now, Mrkk's leave is booked and the accommodation is sorted (thanks Swiss Bobby and Garr)

Feeling positive about it this morning and had a big chat with Mr kk last night, he's looking forward to us cycling together when we can.

kittenkat    pirate
19/09/2007 at 08:20

I might have a shifty on ebay then DV

I've already got a Garmin 305, I want a cadence thingy... erm is that it or do I need putting on bike thingies with it?

The guys who sold me my Garmin (Red Lion Sports) were excellent, so I could ring them again I guess....?

kittenkat    pirate
19/09/2007 at 08:20

I might have a shifty on ebay then DV

I've already got a Garmin 305, I want a cadence thingy... erm is that it or do I need putting on bike thingies with it?

The guys who sold me my Garmin (Red Lion Sports) were excellent, so I could ring them again I guess....?

kittenkat    pirate
19/09/2007 at 08:30

Ha ha ha, I've just found out that a horse can use the Garmin 305, there's a special girth strap - honestly!

Now, just looking, apparently there is something you can get to be able to use your Garmin indoors when you're on the bike......

Does anyone know anything about any of this, it's thoroughly confusing.....

kittenkat    pirate
19/09/2007 at 08:31
Also, my swim cap has got ear flaps, is that desirable?
19/09/2007 at 08:58
kkk - do you talk at a 100miles an hour in real life??? never seen so many questions from one person in such a short time..... ;O)

poo - make sure you have a good dump before you start and accept what happens during the race - so if you have to use a strange bog, jfdi - or a field, or anywhere..........though I've never wanted a dump on the bike, only on a run......

pee - some people pee as they ride/run - I can do the latter but not the former..........but for most mortals stopping and having a pee is preferred as you don't lose that much time..........

and forget gadgets - just ride and run - get the gadgets come later
19/09/2007 at 09:03

kk, in Austria I stopped on the bike a couple of times for a pee which was good as other people were getting dehydrated and it showed that I was taking on plenty of fluids.  It also gave my legs a couple of minutes rest.  I also stopped a couple of times on the run but as it went through the transition area twice on each lap I just stopped at the toilets there.

19/09/2007 at 09:12

I never had a pee problem in a tri after the swimming leg

Regarding bike tyres. One of mine went flat when doing the vitruvian 3 years ago (time flies, eh?) The organiser even offered me a lift so I could abandond the race. Luckyly I found somebody in a petrol station with a one of those gaspumps.

Nam
19/09/2007 at 09:14

surely I can't afford to sit there for 20 minutes??

Babe you're gonna be out there for 15 hours or so, so I'm sure you can find a bit of time for a poo!!!

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
19/09/2007 at 09:14
I still think peeing on the bike is a bit gross. Id rather take a few minutes longer than be covered in my own pi$$ all day.
Nam
19/09/2007 at 09:16

Nam - you and TT must come out to Nice, it'll be such fun. Mr kk has booked the time off and i think we'll go for a week....

I'm working on it.  He's a bit mopy, not sure he wants to watch something he so much wanted to do himself before he became poorly, but I have my ways and means of tempting him... 

19/09/2007 at 09:21

I hope you managed to persuade him Nam I have said I will support this one - he doesn't have to watch he can drink with his eyes closed

Garr    pirate
19/09/2007 at 09:58

KK, I wouldn't have thought you'd want flaps on the ears.  It's not something to wory about though.  You'll be given a brightly coloured swim cap in your race goody bag to wear.

Regarding peeing:  If I were trying for sub-10, I might consider doing it on the move, otherwise, what difference is 5 minutes going to make?

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
19/09/2007 at 10:03
I think some people just like it Garr, they probably do it at home.

Apparently quite a popular activity behind closed doors.
JD.    pirate
19/09/2007 at 10:13
what difference does 5 minutes make?  depends on how close to the cutoff you are.
JD.
19/09/2007 at 10:15

kk, are you going to write all your research up? It could be really useful for any of us still wavering?

I would think with 5 mins to the cut off I would be sh!tting myself anyway.

19/09/2007 at 10:16
Re. spin cycles - not a bad idea but your own bike on a turbo is best for training as any slight changes in position mean the training isn't quite so specific as it could  be - but if you use your best bike on a turbo I'd invest in a tacx sweat catcher as it does wreck bike bits.
Garr    pirate
19/09/2007 at 10:16

Ok JD, fair point.  I suppose there are the two extremes, and if you're at neither end, then 5 minutes makes little difference.

401 to 420 of 56,022 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.