Is this a mad way to start?

55,881 to 55,900 of 56,035 messages
kittenkat    pirate
26/05/2013 at 17:04

All I need to do is go for a run with my pup... Oh wait.

kittenkat    pirate
28/05/2013 at 16:57

First run today after my calf crap. Luckily all good, so I can look forward to the SWRR weekend away at the castles.

Really missing Cole out on the road though.

kittenkat    pirate
30/05/2013 at 17:59

Flexi day, 2 medical appointments and a house clean. Cup of tea with a neighbour and a few work emails.

Bought Cole one of those interactive treat toys. He worked it out in a few minutes. We're also flying through the dog tricks book. His latest accomplishment is 'weave'.

It'll be knitting next.

kittenkat    pirate
31/05/2013 at 08:15

Coral Jones, her speech was heartbreaking. My biggest fear in this world is something awful happening to my children. 

kittenkat    pirate
31/05/2013 at 14:24

Flexi day off again today, I was going to run but a prod of my calf muscle made me err on the side of caution. So took the boy for a long walk instead. Straight up through the farm into the forest. I got stopped by one of the local farmers asking why we weren't running so told him about Cole. Everyone round here is so used to the 'running dog', if I'm honest I was really tempted to run him this morning. It's not denial but I am going to seek further vet advice. It's like seeing a GP who isn't active themselves and therefore can't understand the drive to be active and how much the body can cope with. Basically what I'm saying is that I want a vet who understands Cole's high octane energy and his psychological needs, and to weigh that up, rather than just err on the side of caution.

I'm not saying that the vet D saw isn't that person, I just wish I was there for the conversation.

Ug, this is silly, why am I having such a hard time not running with him? I KNOW part of it is selfish, we had a good thing going.

kittenkat    pirate
31/05/2013 at 14:26

Anyway, we had a good walk in beautiful countryside so I can't really complain.

kittenkat    pirate
31/05/2013 at 14:32

Ok, yeah maybe denial is a slight factor in this scenario. Plus the wonky dog has now got what presents itself as conjunctivitis. I will buy him human eye drops to treat that unless someone comes barrelling in here to tell me that he will wither and die the instant they touch his eyeball.

31/05/2013 at 20:26

I read your decision about Cole but personally I would continue running with him. Dogs run always have, they are hunters. He loves it. It would not be selfish of you.

I felt that your scenario of Cole's future compared to what you had been doing with him was like making him a lap dog. You said in an earlier post that he does not know anything is wrong. So, just let him continue to enjoy his new life with you.

When the time comes if you cannot afford treatment or do not wish to see him change for the worse even with treatment, let him go. You will have given him a full life that he would otherwise never have had. No need to feel you let him down.

What might be selfish is giving him a longer life but restraining his natural instincts and in time he will still become infirm.

31/05/2013 at 20:30

nicely said Martenkay,

KK do seek a second opinion - but don't let Cole go stir crazy because you keep him on a lead forever - find that balance - let him run but keep a close eye on him and maybe don't run him as far

kittenkat    pirate
01/06/2013 at 13:52

Thanks for the replies, he is driving us a bit nuts

kittenkat    pirate
02/06/2013 at 22:33

Had a lovely day, there's been a lot of bottled up stress in our house over the last few months. We have dissipated that with a great BBQ yesterday and today D is revising for his final exam. Oh the burdon of doing a degree as an adult (a proper adult), he does actually revise with intensity. I was spared that being young and uni being something that frequently got in the way of my social life and almost full time job. Yes I did work more hours through my degree than I spent in uni. I managed to skip a whole 2 years of 'Education Theory' lectures until I got found out.

I'm with him, anything I would try and pass now at whatever level, I want the highest mark. Didn't give a shit back then, we always assumed that if you got a third, you were really shit, if you got a first you had no social life or social skills. A 2:1 you were bluffing between the social and nerd stuff. So therefore if you hit the 2:2 right on the head, that was good.

However, hoisted on your own petard with all of that of course (as with any other closed group mentality). Because ultimately who cares, and I think with my cohort in uni, we were so involved in the group thing that you didn't look beyond that.

Although I did to a point because my job and social life through that, overtook my uni friends.

Edited: 02/06/2013 at 22:52
kittenkat    pirate
02/06/2013 at 23:09

Oh and Martenkay, I approached D with your 'discussion' about Cole in a watered down version. The history of his rehoming after rescue to us was that he was only given to us because we have a knowledge of working dog ownership and we live on acres of land.

We've agreed that we've got a bright and potentially neurotic dog if not allowed to be a collie from his background. He was rescued from a working farm from Tipperary, there is no way that he has come from a line of 'pets', and judging by the farmer charging money not to drown the pups, it's all inbreeding hence the genetics with his hip joints.

So it is a balance between being allowed to be a dog, and the pace of his degenerative condition(s).

All he wants to do is race round the farm, thing 2 and I took him out into one of the large crop fields today. It's already up to her chest, so we invented a game. I hold Cole, she runs off and hides by sitting down and I instruct him to find her. He does because he knows her name and the command 'find'. But he's using other cues rather than smell I think (but Iw can help me with that).

If he's still not seeming to have problems with belting round the fields, I will take him for a short run (5 miles), if he has no percievable problems 24 hours after that, I will do short runs a couple of times a week with him.

Again, anyone reading please speak up if you think that's wrong. We're still at the suck it and see point.

Edited: 02/06/2013 at 23:10
kittenkat    pirate
02/06/2013 at 23:16

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/227429/gallery/976943_10151708046684048_1749822114_o.jpg?width=350

Both Cole and Thing 2 are in this picture somewhere. This was the game I just mentioned.

kittenkat    pirate
06/06/2013 at 19:49

Way too fucking busy in every aspect of life, but that's good to a certain degree. We are scatterbombing as a family this weekend, I am off with the club to run the Welsh castles (2 night on sports hall floors, ugh) but the weekend itself will be fun, the kids are off to Cornish grandparents again and D is revising for his last final. My beautiful friend Freya has volunteered to drive to Truro to pick the girls up for us on Sunday.

kittenkat    pirate
12/06/2013 at 19:43

I have no time.

If I'm going to be nausingly or abusively infreqent, I'm going to do it here.

If you want a more uncensored version, there is here...

kittenkat    pirate
12/06/2013 at 19:45
kittenkat    pirate
12/06/2013 at 19:45

And the first one should have been there

kittenkat    pirate
12/06/2013 at 19:50

Execution points kk- 6ish

Sentiment at the time -6ish.

Ok, average is good.

kittenkat    pirate
14/06/2013 at 18:44

My neighbours are trying to kill Mr Rat. He is king rat on the farm and has lived here for years. I had no idea until this evening when I walked up the road with Cole and there is poison down. I asked them what that rat had done to deserve that. No answer. Don't live on a fucking farm unless you have the honesty to put yourself in the proper order. Every farm has rats, every farm needs them. 

17/06/2013 at 21:46

will miss you kk, might send a request shortly

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.