Is this a mad way to start?

56,021 to 56,022 of 56,022 messages
kittenkat    pirate
09/06/2014 at 18:56

Had an absolutely brilliant time away at the Welsh Castles Relay with the club this weekend. For those of you that don't know this race, it's basically a relay down the length of Wales, starting in Camarthen in the North and finishing at Cardiff Castle. My club has been doing it for 9 years, I've done the last 3. It's absolutely knackering as we sleep on sports hall floors along with a lot of other runners.

We entered 2 teams this year so 40 of us went. One vets team and one open team, with the vets team looking to be competitive, which we were, we came second vet team overall.

I was really really worried about letting the team down because I have a grumbling achilles which has meant that I haven't trained in months, the odd short run here and there but I haven't actually trained properly for the last 18 months.

My plan was just to hold it together without my achilles going altogether. The first few miles were a confidence booster, 6.10, 6.20 and thereabouts for number 3. If I was injury free and fully fit, I could have carried on with that pace (or at least averaged out at 6.30 pace over the 10 miles). However I've been out of it too long to wing it, so I had to reign it in and I just slowed down and kept steady, averaging 7.30 over the whole distance. That got me 4th place female and 3rd placed vet, of course I'm disappointed when I can't be as fast as I know I can be BUT considering my complete lack of training, half stone weight gain and injury problems, yeah I'll take it!

Just loved the whole thing, my club are fab and the castles has such a teriffic atmosphere, when you're not running you spend the time leapfrogging between the stages in the minibuses and cheering everyone on. Already looking forward to next year!

Edited: 09/06/2014 at 20:22
kittenkat    pirate
10/06/2014 at 19:00

Was going to go to OW swimming tonight straight after work. I really wanted to go, given my Diva moment last week. But D has been called out for something really serious. The more we live with his job, the more I dislike people in general and only choose to be with people I really like.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
56,021 to 56,022 of 56,022 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.