Is this a mad way to start?

161 to 180 of 56,022 messages
kittenkat    pirate
17/09/2007 at 17:29
I'm excited in a very scary way........
17/09/2007 at 17:29
you can't shorten the top tube though.  popsider is right, you need to get sized up by somebody who knows what they're talking about.  a £200 bike that fits goes a lot faster and is much less painful that a £5000 bike that is one size too big
kittenkat    pirate
17/09/2007 at 17:32
Thanks, I will do it properly.....
jaggy...    pirate
17/09/2007 at 17:33

KKat - good luck. I managed to do IMA from a standing start in September last year. Same situation - no money/kit etc etc but somehow over time I gathered all the stuff I needed. There's lots of experienced folk on the pirate threads - some even know about training! If you have any questions someone will be there to help.

I found the forum really supportive on bad days and a great place to share the good days.

I wish you ever success in your quest.

Go well!

debbo    pirate
17/09/2007 at 17:35

experienced folk Jaggy - where?!

How's your training anyway?

M...eldy    pirate
17/09/2007 at 17:39
he is mistaking us with Tritalk
debbo    pirate
17/09/2007 at 17:43
easily done of course.  especially with the likes of you and me poncing around. 
17/09/2007 at 17:47
Where do you live KK - there must be someone local who could recommend a couple of shops and go along with you - even if you ended up buying over the internet - although it's not always cheaper and the convenience of being able to take the bike back for a service is worth something.
M...eldy    pirate
17/09/2007 at 17:47
at least we dont post photos of ourselves in our underwear on the turbo .........
jaggy...    pirate
17/09/2007 at 17:48

Training has been good thanks Debs.

I had the chance to run you over on Queensferry Road last week but you managed to avoid me! You look like you are in serious training mode at the moment.

I did an adventure race last week which was great fun. 52k of off road MTB with something like 5,000ft of climbing - it was fab. Pity my MTB is crap! It also had some orienteering and kayaking - really enjoyed it. My hip has never settled since IMA and I think that I'm finally going to have to resort to a trip to the Doc - it's not really painful but it kind of grinds along moaning at me.

Not long to Florida - How's BtS's training going? Has the swimming sorted itself out?

debbo    pirate
17/09/2007 at 17:52

yuck - I'd forgotten about that - I might get bts to do it though.

oh, and my local bike shop has just started stocking planet x - should I take that as a sign?

debbo    pirate
17/09/2007 at 17:54

I'm always in serious training mode Jaggy! 

I forgot about the adventure race - sounds awful to me! 

BtS is at the pool right now - I wouldn't go so far as to say his swimming is sorted, but Scott is kicking his ass!

M...eldy    pirate
17/09/2007 at 17:55
Its def a sign Debs!         In fact I must see if mine is being lovingly built and polished    
debbo    pirate
17/09/2007 at 17:57
I think it is a sign!  I'm going to investigate whether I can get on on the cycle to work scheme.  When are you expecting yours?  Are you keeping your other one for training or for the turbo?
PSC    pirate
17/09/2007 at 17:58

Kk, I looked at the link to your LBS! No mention of measuring so it could be a classic high street type shop (the cycling equivalent of JJB Sports) . You need to find a shop that will measure you properly as in floor to crutch, shoulder width, arm length, etc. The kids method of checking you can reach the ground isn't how to do it. The wrong frame size will lead to injury. I guess you are bored of everyone saying that now! If you look on the bike shop link I posted they have a picture of a measuring jig! That's what you need to see in whatever bike shop you use.

jaggy...    pirate
17/09/2007 at 17:59

How many bikes do you need?

Has BtS been brave and told Scott what he's doing?

debbo    pirate
17/09/2007 at 18:02

It's not what I need, it's what I want.  I quite fancy a tri bike now. 

Yes, Scott knows, but I think he doesn't really appreciate how littel training BtS has actually done.  Having said that he's done two 50 mile rides in the last 3 days.

kittenkat    pirate
17/09/2007 at 18:05

Thanks Jags,

I live in Exeter popsider, i've just found a tri club and sent them an email

PSC - I hope there i somewhere,  I'll ask the tri club.

In all honesty at the moment it's the swim that really worries me. I am nervous of water.... and it's the thought of getting kicked and pushed and swum over.....

jaggy...    pirate
17/09/2007 at 18:08

Go for it. 

If you fancy a training run in Fife give me shout - you could cycle to the bridge, do a tour of fife and then cycle back. I would be able to manage the bit in the middle as part of one of your long runs! Get BtS out as well. 

I'm building a mtb at the moment. I've not got enough money to buy a new decent bike so I'm using the best bits off the cheapo bike I bought combined with a second-hand frame and a top pair of suspension forks.

Exterra here I come.......

kittenkat    pirate
17/09/2007 at 18:09
161 to 180 of 56,022 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.