Is triathlon a fleeting obsession on a personal agenda?

41 to 55 of 55 messages
TheEngineer    pirate
17/10/2012 at 22:14

Most likely a temporary thing for me, inasmuch as I don't envision maintaining the level of commitment I do now until I'm incapable of doing so. I imagine I'll continue the three disciplines, but see less of transitions in future! That is... after I've achieved everything I want to.

For me it's something I've found myself to be reasonably good at, relatively speaking. I started by running and was never any good at that. It has introduced me to cycling though and for that I will be forever grateful - I envision continuing cycling for a long time in the future. 

I want to do lots of things though, triathlon being just one. For that reason, I don't see myself continuing long term (more than the next 5 years). Mountaineering is something I have a passion to do, but have never had the combination of time and income to do to a high level. I'd love to do more running over extreme distance, despite not being very *good* at it (and provided the physios sort me out!) - the stage races really appeal to me, both purely running and stuff like the Wenger Expedition Race/Primal Quest (though now defunct). RAAM and cycling across Europe appeal to me, as do Red2Dead and the channel swim. I'd love to ski more. And skydive (not necessarily from Baumgartner territory, but one summer I nearly saved up enough for an AFF course in Spain and then couldn't go). And white water raft. 

In short, I love triathlon, but it's mostly about testing me. There are plenty of awesome places to throw yourself off, push yourself through, and suffer in. And lots of other fun ways of doing them. But you never know, I might jack it all in and spend my wages in the pub for the rest of my miserable little life.

kittenkat    pirate
18/10/2012 at 07:01
TR wrote (see)

KK - you ask a lot of questions

Curiosity hasn't killed the kat yet (just maimed slightly)

WildWill    pirate
18/10/2012 at 07:56

TheEngineer: An intrestining responce ... Im in a similar boat there is so much out there that I'd like to have a go at but for me it's time (and cash) that is the deciding factor.

Working away from home; I can train lots of time through the week, but my weekend sand holidays are devoted to those that are close to me rather than my sportining endevours. So for now I aim for an anual big race that I can do in a day and gives me the feeling i enjoy. For now ... long distance Tri it is

If my circumstances improve that may change as like you said ... there are so many things out there to try... 

Edited: 18/10/2012 at 07:56
18/10/2012 at 12:01

I’d break down the influencing factors as follows:

1 - Competition and satisfaction from achievement – personal or relative to peers;
2 - Social inclusion – part of a group or community that share an interest;
3 - Exploration and desire to ‘try something new’;
4 - Fitness and health benefits;
5 – Enjoyment of the individual elements and the whole sport;
6 - How it fits in with your life and other priorities – family vs training;
7 - Practicality – economic, travel, injury etc.

If I answer them on a personal view then it looks like this for me:

1 – I’m competitive and get more challenge from Tri than running – reason to stay;
2 – I do the occasional social tri, but more for competition –n/a;
3 – Been there done that – looking at other stuff  and Tri has opened my eyes in some areas – reason to leave;
4 – Yep, I get fit from Tri, but I can do that elsewhere also – n/a;
5 – Love swimming, love running, dislike road bike, love MTB – reason to stay, maybe;
6 – Sprints and short stuff are fairer on family – unlikely to go long;
7 – Fortunate that these are aligned at the moment, although I’d choose local first – reason to stay.

Some of these answers will change over time – I doubt I’ll be as competitive when I am older, but will maybe have more time to train. So on balance at the moment I’m in, but not for the whole IM, just Sprint and Oly.

I’ll predict that Tri will polarise like this with most people doing shorter events because of practicality, but a hardcore and ‘one-and-only’s’ still going long at premium events. I’ll also predict that it will stay relatively small because of the cost barrier to entry.

18/10/2012 at 13:52
m..eface wrote (see)
SuperSparx wrote (see)
So to me I think it has become an obsession and I hope it stays that way, I have even had to force myself to have a rest day tomorrow, 4 weeks ago even I would not have believed I would be forcing myself to rest.

Wise man says you only get fitter rest.

Yoda says fitter you want, rest you must

rest will be two days, as wife's birthday tomorrow. How fit will I be come Saturday?

meface    pirate
18/10/2012 at 20:03

Not as much as on the first day of rest - very quick diminishing returns with rest. It is a tricky balance. But try it without rest and see how quick you fail.

No rest, no sleep, no no lounging. See if if you can run a 5k in 14 days time!

Happy bithday to your wife - get her something nice (a wetsuit in your size? a turbo trainer?)

M..eface

kittenkat    pirate
18/10/2012 at 21:50
Rob_Cooper wrote (see)

I’d break down the influencing factors as follows:

1 - Competition and satisfaction from achievement – personal or relative to peers;

If I answer them on a personal view then it looks like this for me:

1 – I’m competitive and get more challenge from Tri than running – reason to stay;
2 – I do the occasional social tri, but more for competition –n/a;
3 – Been there done that – looking at other stuff  and Tri has opened my eyes in some areas – reason to leave;
4 – Yep, I get fit from Tri, but I can do that elsewhere also – n/a;
5 – Love swimming, love running, dislike road bike, love MTB – reason to stay, maybe;
6 – Sprints and short stuff are fairer on family – unlikely to go long;
7 – Fortunate that these are aligned at the moment, although I’d choose local first – reason to stay.

Some of these answers will change over time – I doubt I’ll be as competitive when I am older, but will maybe have more time to train. So on balance at the moment I’m in, but not for the whole IM, just Sprint and Oly.

I’ll predict that Tri will polarise like this with most people doing shorter events because of practicality, but a hardcore and ‘one-and-only’s’ still going long at premium events. I’ll also predict that it will stay relatively small because of the cost barrier to entry.

Ok, I like this breakdown...

18/10/2012 at 21:58
Thanks M..eface,
I can't run 5k now! But working on it. The wetsuit is a good idea, then might get her a Garmin 910 for Christmas. To be honest though, she doesn't use the bike I had fitted for me last week.
kittenkat    pirate
18/10/2012 at 22:04

My personal answers:

1 - I'm extremely competitive in sport, moreso because it's been my career as well as a hobby. It's what I know.

2- Yeah, I like talking about the sport and meeting like minded people. However, there are times when you realise that you're only like minded in liking a sport; after that maybe not!

3- I'm working my way through the sports, have tried most but the ones I have been best at... Gymnastics (aged 6 to last national comp for university champs age 19/20). Hockey, pretty useful on the wing, had speed and accuracy but not physically big enough at times where power needed. Climbing and trampolining, good at both. Skiing good but stopped when couldn't afford it.

4 - Yeah being fit feels good, I could never imagine a life of not wanting to use your body. It also makes for better sex.

5 - I sniff my trainers when no-one is looking.

6- Fuck I need to run for sanity, my time! But there is no way I could hack being single and without kids, dog, people. That's a reflection of my personality and my life I'm sure could be other people's idea of hell.

7 - Ok, this one is too boring to answer.

meface    pirate
18/10/2012 at 22:12
kittenkat wrote (see)

I need to run for sanity,

You need to run more

kittenkat    pirate
18/10/2012 at 22:15
m..eface wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)

I need to run for sanity,

You need to run more

Ok, well played!

meface    pirate
18/10/2012 at 22:20

Actually we probably all need to run more - sanity, weight and punishment for bad thoughts etc.

kittenkat    pirate
18/10/2012 at 22:23
m..eface wrote (see)

Actually we probably all need to run more - sanity, weight and punishment for bad thoughts etc.

Noooooooo.... Running shouldn't be a psychological weight management strategy or any form of punishment.

22/10/2012 at 09:34
kittenkat wrote (see)

4 - Yeah being fit feels good, I could never imagine a life of not wanting to use your body. It also makes for better sex.

Im not so sure KK.  I asked the OH to join me on a run and she instructed me to fornicate off!

kittenkat    pirate
22/10/2012 at 20:28
SgtLard wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)

Im not so sure KK.  I asked the OH to join me on a run and she instructed me to fornicate off!

Hey an invitation to do both... win/win!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 55 of 55 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.