Just a beginner

21 to 40 of 45 messages
19/04/2012 at 16:50

Hello! Sorry to gatecrash your thread Lewis, I'm Helen, 27 and I'm new to tri's as well, been a runner for about 5 years and recently decided to jump over to multi discipline to mix up my training a bit.

A friend and i have entered a local sprint triathlon (Great Dunmow, anyone know it?) which i think is perfect for a first timer as the swim leg is in a pool, to be honest at the moment the thought of open water swimming terrifies me! I'm a very weak swimmer but have signed up for a course of lessons so itching to get started now!

The tri isn't until the 9th September but i wish it was sooner!! Hopefully it will be the start of many.

Although i'm weak at swimming and cycling i have every confidence in myself that I can train for this, when i started running i stopped after about a quarter mile, sat on the floor and cried cos it was so difficult. 3 months later I did my first 10km and i've since completed 2 marathons and a few weeks ago beat my half marathon PB finishing in 2hrs 4mins!

Iron(wo)man one day? Maybe!

I'm sure i'll find all the advice i need on here.

Thanks for reading and in advance for any advice you may give me!!

Helen x

Nurse Ratched    pirate
20/04/2012 at 15:08
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of that thread, Bouncing Barlist. You are all a dangerous bunch - I now feel I can actually achieve Ironman. You'll make a pirate of me yet.
Ironholgs    pirate
20/04/2012 at 16:09
Lewis11 wrote (see)
I'm actually at university, so it would be quite difficult to train consistently I think! Maybe I can get in earlier... I'm not sure, it could happen I've read the book! It was actually one of the main reasons why I wanted to try a tri! I'd love to enter IMW 2013, but I don't think I could train well enough! Thanks for your reply!!

Glad the book had an effect on you, and sorry that was making you want to do an ironman

I shall try and fit it into the sequel that Dave The Ex Spartan is a genius......might be difficult though.

Good luck to all the newbies, brilliant that you all starting your journey to Ironman - you won't regret it.

ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
20/04/2012 at 18:02
My goodness loads of extra new recruits!!! Helen needs a new name along with Lewis, nurse will be younger than 43 when completing IM in 2013, Lewis needs to bring fwd timescale on IM while he has a study loan to pay for it and a new bike and a wetsuit and tri suit and cycle computer and hrm....
Dubai Dave    pirate
20/04/2012 at 18:42
Ah fresh blood, what are you all waiting for ? what is it 11 weeks to Outlaw and 50 extra entries available? Good luck on your journey, its a great ride!
20/04/2012 at 19:04
"Helen needs a new name along with Lewis"

I agree, how boring is Lewis? Open to suggestions!

"Lewis needs to bring fwd timescale on IM while he has a study loan to pay for it and a new bike and a wetsuit and tri suit and cycle computer and hrm...."

I actually have my next loan going in on Monday, please don't tempt me gastank

Welcome Helen and Nurse, I hope everything goes well for you and good luck in your journey too!
Edited: 20/04/2012 at 19:05
20/04/2012 at 19:10
Hello everyone from the other side of pond.

I'm to blame for young Lewis' Ironman aspirations haha

Apparently I'm in for Wales 2015 with him. Good for me as I need a few years to save.

My only Iron distance event so far is Ironman Louisville where I currently live but I am registered for a second iron distance event in September.

I'm impressed with all the love in this thread!
Edited: 20/04/2012 at 19:14
Nurse Ratched    pirate
20/04/2012 at 20:04
Woah, woah, woah, gastank - 2013? I would just lurve to be able to do IM next year, but until small person starts school, I won't have the time to commit to training. But once he sets off on the path to enlightenment there'll be no stopping me...........................................
20/04/2012 at 20:12
Padawan
Govtfunded

What are u studying?

Welcome IronYank

Helen Pells = HellsBells ?!?
20/04/2012 at 20:17
Sound engineering and production, try and get a name from that!

Padawan and Govtfunded made me laugh!

I think HellsBells is great for Helen! Let's hope she's an AC/DC fan
Rafiki    pirate
20/04/2012 at 20:18
Lewis11 wrote (see)

Lewis - Gastank and I are going to the bike show tomorrow - come with us and we'll help you with some shopping - go on, you know you want to......
20/04/2012 at 20:19
<runs off to find papoose thing for young one>

Or

Swimming dragging child in small inflatable boat - resistance training
Cycling with child in rear seat, just like a couple of heavier hydration bottles
Run with a stroller

Sounds like great training

20/04/2012 at 20:27
SoundOfMind
SoundMind
SoundOfPain
20/04/2012 at 20:33

HellsBells it is! Although there is already a HellsBells out there somewhere (imposter!) so i've stuck my lucky number on the end. My friends have been calling me Hells Bells my whole life actually and found it hilarious when i married Mr Pells!

Happy training everyone. Hope you all have a good weekend.

Dustboy    pirate
20/04/2012 at 20:49
Hmm, Lewis Lugholes, or just Lugholes?

Welcome Ironyank. (We had another one a while back, what happened to Keg Killer? Lovely bloke)
IronCat5    pirate
20/04/2012 at 21:50
RafikiD wrote (see)
Lewis11 wrote (see)

Lewis - Gastank and I are going to the bike show tomorrow - come with us and we'll help you with some shopping - go on, you know you want to......
It'll be like kids in a sweetshop!

Welcome aboard all you new Ironfodder.More fresh meat for Surrey Hills!
Rafiki    pirate
20/04/2012 at 22:10
Except kids with credit cards!!
Nurse Ratched    pirate
21/04/2012 at 00:13
Oooooooh, gastank, if I thought for one second that small person would comply....................
Dustboy    pirate
21/04/2012 at 00:40
ooh, Surrey Hills, must get a route sorted
18/12/2012 at 16:05

"Hi Everybody!"

Lewis (aka Budgie - did I miss where that nick came from?),

I hope like Hells you don't mind me hijacking your thread, but I saw you post about the Kindrochit Quadrathlon - I am due to do this next July (2013) with a pal, and wondered if you had any thoughts or tips for me, btw "Don't Do It!" isn't an option, I've already paid!

Thanks in advance all,

Dr Nick.

21 to 40 of 45 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.