Just a nother newbie

21 to 33 of 33 messages
WildWill    pirate
08/03/2013 at 15:32

Ive need to use a portaloo in all distances I've raced ... you never know when it may hit

But a TRI suit is a simple oprion and there are pleant inexpensive options out there ... even Aldi seen to sell them now and then

TTri shorts have some padding but it is much thinner than cycling short as they are designed to be able to swim and run in as well as cycle

08/03/2013 at 15:56
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
It all depends on the length of the race..

Sprint or Oly. I wear a tri suit and no socks

HIM I wear tri shorts and Monaco

IM I wear speedos under my wetsuit, change to bike shorts and bike top, and then run shorts and run top both bike & run with socks

All about comfort for the longer distance

More costume changes than a Janet Jackson gig.  Hope you don't 'accidentally' expose yourself on the way through. 

TheVicar wrote (see)

All Great stuff

Lou I think I prefer that option to be fair. Ill have a look for some cheapy shorts. Just going to be weird cycling with a soggy Ar**

Last sprint I did it was pissing down.  Getting wet was the least of my worries.

Edited: 08/03/2013 at 15:58
08/03/2013 at 16:19

Very true lol.

Chatting with everybody has put me at ease a bit. Last thing to worry about is the cycling because the rules are different to a normal bike race?

08/03/2013 at 16:44
TheVicar wrote (see)

Very true lol.

Chatting with everybody has put me at ease a bit. Last thing to worry about is the cycling because the rules are different to a normal bike race?

Unless you're an elite triathlete competing on the ITU circuit all tri bike legs are non-drafting and you can get DQ'd if caught drafting - warning for 1st offence, DQ after 2nd (some races will just DQ).  Essentially you need to keep outside a 7m box to avoid drafting - 7m is measured from the wheel front of the bike ahead to the rear of yours (7m is about the length of a long wheelbase Transit for reference).  and that goes up to 10m in long distance racing

08/03/2013 at 17:11

You usually get a big lecture at the start about the drafting -and then woe betide anyone who gets caught (or goes through a red light as happened to one of my club mates - got DQ'd from a middle distance tri)

08/03/2013 at 17:22

jumping a red light - or any other road traffic violation - is a straight DQ.   no questions or appeals

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
08/03/2013 at 17:36
Why would I expose myself Lou ?
09/03/2013 at 07:30
Reference to Janet Jackson's controversial superbowl performance. Nothing personal.
Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
09/03/2013 at 09:07
No costume changes for a sprint or Olympic...

None for a HIM just the addition of socks

And ok a change for a full IM....

So still not sure what you meant

I was trying to give DF3 a steer on the type of race may or may not require different kit...

Perhaps I shouldn't have bothered
12/03/2013 at 15:26

Hi again

I didn't want to start a new thread but has anybody ever gone through these?

http://freakevents.co.uk/events/Millfield-Triathlon-25-May-2013/

or done the event itself. I just thought the really easy one would be a good start for me before perhaps doing the slightly longer Sherborne event. Being new to Tri's I dont recognise many of the event planners. Of course finally do you still get your medal at the end of a Tri. I'm a bit of a mercenary when it comes to things like this

12/03/2013 at 15:43

Take a look at the naked strength events, i did the Bath Multisport super sprint triathlon last september. It was my first attempt so i went for the shortest possible incase i hated it, infact it was brilliant and i am signed up for 2 more this year.

They are designed as real novice events, so if you make a mistake you are just helped to do things right. I saw loads of people getting on or off their bikes the wrong side of the mount/dismount line but there's no disqualification the marshall just call out to you to tell you what your doing wrong. A huge range of outfits on show from tri suits, to a lady in a one piece swimsuit which she did the whole thing in with nothing else not even a tshirt. (brave lady!) There was also a massive range of bikes, loads of mountain bikes and i'm sure i saw a basket going around the bike leg.

Well worth a look if you want to try a super sprint tri first, now i'm off to look at the Sherborne one you mention as i only live down the road and hadn't seen this advertised.

12/03/2013 at 18:36

Yeah there is 2 in Sherborne this year. I had a look at the naked strength website and I like the look of the Bath July event

Im extremely surprised as to how many events are actually put on

12/03/2013 at 20:58

There are also a few run by total buzz, one in wincanton, gillingham and Taunton i think

Unfortunatly the 2 Sherborne ones are a no go for me, the May one is the same time as the Tour of Wessex i'm doing and i'll have to check but the July one is either the same day or a bit to close to another event i'm doing. Worth remembering for next year though thanks for the tip.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.