Just finishing an IM in 29 weeks time

21 to 34 of 34 messages
20/02/2013 at 14:05

From what I saw of the first IM Wales the sea was a bit choppy so I suppose the first consideration is to beat the cut off when the conditions are bad otherwise it's all over.   Sea swim practice necessary?  Same goes for the bike.  I suppose you find yourself a challenging sportive (after you've done some training) and see if you can manage to do a time comparable to  60-90mins inside the bike cut off time.  As far as the running goes I think there's time as long it progresses smoothly.

My swim is in a rowing lake so not much problem with sighting or tides and currents but it could be warm and wetsuits may not be allowed.  The other issue is that the cut off is 15hrs.

My approach is you do your homework train as best you can and learn for the next time and above all work to a plan.  What have you got to lose?

20/02/2013 at 14:06

C68 - what's rugby league?? 

20/02/2013 at 14:09

"The other issue is that the cut off is 15hrs."

for IM Wales??  nope - it's a standard 17hrs. the only 15hr one is Germany

20/02/2013 at 14:10

No Chtriman FB.

IronChris68    pirate
20/02/2013 at 14:13

FB,

Rugby League, mans game and you need to be much fitter than an Union player, plus we don't have pockets in our shorts or have daft first names etc

Chris

20/02/2013 at 14:19

C68

Rugby Union, also a man's game, but where we have things called scrums and lineouts that RL stopped having cos they were afraid of getting hurt and where we have proper dogs, not whippets, and we aren't all called Arkwright.  Plus we play over winter - none of this namby pamby "ooh it's muddy" lark that RL players suffer from so they have to have dry pitches.  Wusses.  

FB

20/02/2013 at 14:27

JB - sorry - I misread. I thought you were talking about a 15hr cut off at IMWales.

I didn't realise that Ch'triman has a 15hr cutoff - good luck! Thank feck I'm only doing the 1/2!!  (Reminds me - must enter)

IronChris68    pirate
20/02/2013 at 14:34

FB,

Which is why when players retire from League or get dropped they go an play union, played both games, union, ha!

Chris

20/02/2013 at 14:42

I don't know FB but I get the impression it's not a race that's going to fill up quickly.  I took a look at the website last night and noticed they describe the bike section as two laps of 66miles.  A mistake I assume/hope.  Right I had better get out for a run.

20/02/2013 at 14:45

2 laps of 66 miles - excellent.  but to be fair, most of that is flat so no big deal to cover an extra 20 miles.... 

20/02/2013 at 14:53

and the water is flat as well......it's hardly worth going.

OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
20/02/2013 at 15:37

As above

The 'standard' training plans are 30 weeks, so you are not behind that much.
However they start with about an 6-8 hour traniing week..... (I think)  with 2-3 * 30 min runs, 2-3 * 1-2 hour bikes and 2-3 30 min swims.  However, this is just to get you into the swing of training every day.... before volume training ramps up.  If week 1 is killing you........

This will increase to 12 hrs+ up to 20hrs a week for the bonkers/committed.

However, on race day you will be exercising between say 12hr and 17hrs depending on your speed, so I think its a fair idea to do at least that level of training in a whole week instead of 1 day at some point...???

Perhaps those that went from nothing to IM n a year can give better guidance on this one...?

seren nos yn canu    pirate
20/02/2013 at 15:44

you need slag to come and tell you.he was close to all the cut offs on the day but made it......

Iron Pingu    pirate
20/02/2013 at 21:56

IMW isn't really an IM to try and wing it on, the bike course will eat you up and spit you out if you're not prepared for it!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.