Kinetica Spring Ballbuster - 3rd March 2012

Who's in?

21 to 40 of 40 messages
Golden Boots    pirate
02/03/2012 at 22:49

So in November I only managed about 4 hours sleep before the race because of travelling with work and stuff

well today I have moved back from Edinburgh, it's nearly 11pm... and I havent even started thinking about tomorrow yet To make it worse I only slept 3 hours last night and just 1 hour (!!!) the night before. Can't even remember what time I need to be up to get to the train station but I think possibly 4am or something stupid! I fear I may fall asleep on the bike tomorrow...

See you guys there! anyway!!!

02/03/2012 at 22:52
Good luck for tomorrow guys and gals. Race strong...
Trogs    pirate
03/03/2012 at 05:34
Have a great race all, think you've got better weather than us at the moment!
M...eldy    pirate
03/03/2012 at 05:44
Enjoy the race guys

Watch out for Joddly the sandbagger !!!
Golden Boots    pirate
03/03/2012 at 05:55

OK so as expected my body shut down and i didnt wake up in time for the train!!! Taxi booked... would rather face the £50 cost than lose the £70 spent on the race

see you there guys

PSC    pirate
03/03/2012 at 08:54
have fun guys......

Golden Boots - you nutter!
Cheerful Dave    pirate
03/03/2012 at 15:16
Let's just say that GB has a story to tell, and it's an expensive one. Sorry to see you standing there mate.

Decent enough race for me though, second into T1, dropped a few places on the bike but held it together on the run for 5th. It rained though, the bike was getting a bit dicey towards the end and I felt for those with a lap to go on the bike when I got to T2. As usual it was bright and sunny by the time I bumped into joddly at prize giving.
Golden Boots    pirate
03/03/2012 at 16:13

well.... I should have just turned over and gone back to sleep when i slept in... losing my entry fee but nothing else.

A £60 taxi ensured that I was early enough to get there as i had missed my train, then I registered, racked etc etc. Went off on the first run and decide to conserve a lot more than last Novembers race as I wanted to finish the second run stronger (52min/57min last year for the two runs).

Was happy with my pace and feeling fresh, overtaking many around me who were really struggling so early. Finished the first run in 49:51... 2 minutes quicker than last time... the difference being though that I felt really good as I got into T1. First lap on the bike and I was having a ball, finished the first lap and as I passed the crowds and then followed the road as it bent left... back wheel starts sliding behind me and I was unable to bring it back in..... BANG. Before I know it im sliding along the floor. 

Jumped straight up to check the bike and apart from putting the chain and water bottles back in it needed nothing else... great! Started along the road and took a look at my handlebars... and saw blood dripping off them. The effect of the adrenaline  then stopped and I realised my hands were in agony and I was struggling to hold the handlebars. Tried holding the hoods or the drops, tried going on the bars... same effect. Because I hadnt worn any gloves my hands had taken the whole impact and grazed right where I need to hold on to the bike... GAME OVER. Made the ride of shame backwards to be cleaned up by the first aidersand collect my things as I was getting cold.

Shortly after I went over somebody else did exactly the same on the exact same corne... HR were quick to react and put several staff on it and before to warn others... thought that was very well done (though pity i had to be the first to come off there )

No bike damage, only small grazes on both hands that wouldnt bother me if they were anywhere else but just meant I couldnt put weight on my hands for the twists, turns and sharp descents that the box hill course calls for! One of my wrists has slowly got worse and worse is hurting quite a lot now though, oh and I ripped my brand new Pirate Armwarmers!!!!!

Hopefully will be running the Saucony 10k tomorrow at the tri show, at least I wont be tired for that now... but I dont know if my wrist will feel up to it or not!

Sorry I didnt stay until the end Dave... looked good as you came off the bike. Just couldnt hang around as I was getting cold and starting to hurt more and more!

Golden Boots    pirate
03/03/2012 at 16:39
Just looked at the results and saw I was 21st after the run and first in the age group...
03/03/2012 at 17:00
Take the positives GB, sounds like you stayed well within yourself on the first run which is good. Do you know what made you and the other person fall?
Golden Boots    pirate
03/03/2012 at 17:16

Think it was just slightly wet on that corner where as everywhere else it had dried up... yet later when they were warning everyone going round it they shouted that it was greasy on the floor(??)

Dave did you see anything? It was the left bend just after going past the entrance to transition and before the exit?

Oh well... Will just have to head back at the end of the year to see how well i can do there!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
03/03/2012 at 17:43
It looked wet and a bit slick GB, but I didn't see any oil down or anything like that. They'd put some sand down in the middle of the corner when I started the third bike lap so maybe they found something. By then there was a bunch of diesel down at the corner where they'd dug the road up, so it was tiptoes round there too.

Sorry to hear of your woes, can't blame you for not hanging around. At least you didn't have to wait to get a car out of the car park.
Golden Boots    pirate
03/03/2012 at 18:24
I had just got out of the first aid van when you started your third and They had about 4 people warning of the corner before hand, a red flag on the corner, and then a couple shouting as people actually were going around it.

Oh well, it was obviously not meant to be!

Great racing Dave!
03/03/2012 at 19:19
Nightmare, GB - really sorry to hear your tale of woe, and I hope your hands heal quickly. I wondered why I didn't see you....

Good race for me, though the bike was a bit frustrating, with congestion and slowing for poor road surfaces, and I got another PB though still outside 3:30.

Top male and female 40-49 were Pirates, so a good day out all in all.
Edited: 03/03/2012 at 19:19
PSC    pirate
03/03/2012 at 19:29
good racing Joddly and C-Dave. Sorry to hear about your tumble GB.... bit of a nightmare day all in all. Heal quickly.
IronCat5    pirate
03/03/2012 at 19:48

Good ballbusting Pirates. Next time GB!

03/03/2012 at 21:42
Hope all ok GB,  well done to the podium pirates good stuff guys
Golden Boots    pirate
03/03/2012 at 21:52
Great racing joddly! Was looking for you but obviously just missed you through the morning!
Slagiatt    pirate
03/03/2012 at 22:10
Well done pirates !!
Unlucky GB , real choker especially after all the faff to get there in time . Get an early night and destroy the saucony 10k tomorrow to make up for it mate. See you at the show.
Trogs    pirate
04/03/2012 at 22:01
Bad luck Boots, hope the road rash heals quickly and your wrist settles down soon too.

Well done Joddly and Dave claiming your podium places once again

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 40 of 40 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.