Kit question - cold feet on the bike

21 to 28 of 28 messages
cougie    pirate
25/09/2012 at 13:28

Same as my Look cleats then. You'd have to do a lot of walking though.

If you're in your bike shoes - you've got your bike with you and you'd only walk short distances - like in the cafe or something. 

If you're waiting for the off at the start then you'd be on your bike anyway - not walking round and leaving the bike unattended.

And remember to wiggle your toes. 

25/09/2012 at 13:40

Look KEOs defintely need covers as they wear out very quickly walking in them.  are yours standard Looks Cougie??  I think they are more robust.

Shimano cleats are vety hard wearing  - my missus has them and I've gone through way many more pairs of Keos than she has Shims.  but then I do put more pressure through which may be a contributing factor??

25/09/2012 at 14:52

I've not found the Keos too bad FB - I get through maybe a set every 5k miles - I suppose it's all relative - I have only ever used Keos and the old Looks so can't really compare them to Shimano/Time etc.

25/09/2012 at 15:11

5k miles???  I think my last pair lasted about 2K.  and these were the Keo 2 Max cleats which have a rubber wear plate on the base.  the bloody wear plates wore off!!!

I've toyed with the idea of changing pedals to something other than Keo but the cost of doing that for 3 bikes kind of puts me off vs the cost of buying new cleats which after all are only around £10-15 a pair.  I must get hold of some of the Exustar KEO equivalent cleats and see if they last longer than the Look ones

Edited: 25/09/2012 at 15:20
cougie    pirate
25/09/2012 at 15:23
Standard looks for me FB. Cleats seem to last a decent amount of time.
Not as good as my Time Atac cleats though. They must be 15 years old or so and never been replaced. And they get used all through winter too.
25/09/2012 at 15:34

I've had Atacs in the past and they are pretty robust but I just never got on with the entry and exit with them for some reason.  C still uses them on her MTB and SS though.

26/09/2012 at 10:06

I won't bother with cleat covers then, I'm pretty sure that the person who told me you need them has way more money to spend on bits and pieces that I do!  

26/09/2012 at 12:49

I got dome covers off ebay.  Decathlon sometimes have them.  they are more popular on the continent and I like them for coffee shop mincing.  They are not essential.  You can get cleats with some rubber and these are a lot quieter.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.