Lance folds on drug charges

261 to 280 of 322 messages
23/10/2012 at 13:48

Head of WADA has some interesting things to say, but rather disheartening comments from Oceania's UCI committee member at the end of the article

http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/story/_/id/8540566/wada-chief-john-fahey-says-uci-take-blinkers-off

23/10/2012 at 14:40

Five-time Tour de France winner Miguel Indurain believes Lance Armstrong is innocent of the doping scandal that has seen the US rider stripped of his seven Tour de France titles.

Indurain, who won the Tour five consecutive years between 1991 and 1995, is now once more the joint-record holder for most wins after Armstrong's punishment.

He says: "Even now I believe in his innocence. He has always respected all the regulations. He has won all the cases he's had.

"What surprises me is that he doesn't keep fighting. I think he will come back and appeal and try to show that he played fair for all those years."

WTF!!

Tommygun2    pirate
23/10/2012 at 14:54

Mmm to many drugs ovet the years has affected Miguels mind

23/10/2012 at 15:12

Sounds to me like his brain beats even slower than his heart.

23/10/2012 at 15:36

All due respect to Bradley Wiggins hero but Indurain's as thick as the pig shit he shoves about with his tractor. Already drinking, again.

citizen 146    pirate
23/10/2012 at 20:14

mcquaid should go and maybe most of the UCI , then we can get all the big sponsers to follow Rabobank, get some new sponsers in on realistic wages to encourage those who want to race to come on up and those who want to be rich can go and play football. Plus new conditions of strict testing , lifetime bans for anyone caught , make it a sport for the athletes and the fans!

Look where money has taken football with the players too rich to be controlled

23/10/2012 at 20:34

Yeah genius and once we've got all the riders to sign up to lower wages and the vast majority of the public who don't even know who McQuaid* is excited about slower racing with less razzmatazz due to less money we'll get all the turkeys lined up and ask them to put an X in the box marked Christmas.

I'm not saying for one moment we don't need change but we are where we are and starting over isn't really an option.

As you were. 

* my poll today scored a big fat(Pat) zero on people realising the guy they saw 'taking Lance's wins away' was as much a part of the problem as Lance himself.  Crikey Samaranch, Blatter, whoever helped cover up Agassi's drug positive etc.  Having a complete tw@t at the top isn't the preserve of cycling.  People know Blatter and Samaranch are @rseholes and they didn't exactly get thrown out overnight.

citizen 146    pirate
23/10/2012 at 21:41

point taken. I like to think big, the small changes will keep us where we have always been, perhaps with LA out, and Rabobank out and the UCI being questioned closely maybe that will do for a start!

I follow the NFL closely and this year the first 4 games of the seaon (of 16 games )were presided over by replacement referee crews when the professional refs went on strike! It was a BIG deal and made everyone look at the way things were run. Not a bad thing to have a big change or at least suggest one and see what you actually value. They begged the referees to come back.

On a similar note the NHL missed an entire season a few years ago when the owners and the players couldn't agree on money. Imagine a year without a tour, it would be a shame but would put things in perspective for the 2014 tour !

24/10/2012 at 10:50

"On a similar note the NHL missed an entire season a few years ago when the owners and the players couldn't agree on money. Imagine a year without a tour, it would be a shame but would put things in perspective for the 2014 tour !"

with respect, that was an issue over money and the problem with cycling isn't money.  it's a system that needs cleansing not the financing of it.  if sponsors pull out because they have no faith in the way the sport is being managed and their brand gets tainted, that's a much more powerful argument in the whole issue than 2 sides arguing over money.

McQuaid will go eventually, either voluntarily or with a boot up his arse, and I suspect the "management meeting" on Friday could see the start of the process as there is an upswell of feeling from the constituent members of the UCI that will start pushing for this.  

cougie    pirate
24/10/2012 at 10:59
I think the lesson here is not to investigate sport too closely. As you will find cheats.
24/10/2012 at 11:37
Ultra cougie wrote (see)
I think the lesson here is not to investigate sport too closely. As you will find cheats.

it doesn't seem to matter if you're a pro or an amateur as the temptations to juice to win are there at all levels viz. the age group triathlete just busted in the US for testosterone.   and I guess amateurs feel they can get away with it more as they aren't as routinely tested but drug testing is filtering down now.   we did a local tri in SW France in September - probably on a par with one of the bigger UK ones with race distances of sprint, standard, middle and LD plus paratri and maybe 1000 competitors in total across all distances.   there was a drug test tent at the finish area - something I've never seen in any UK event outside IM.

24/10/2012 at 13:44

Its never going to affect me but imagine you were a good AG racer, but you always missed the qualification by 5 mins to get to Kona 6 or 7 times. Then someone says "look mate , youve spent thousands chasing qualification, 200 quid in my pocket and you will have that little extra to get you there"  There will be those who are tempted. Sadly it is human nature to look for an "easy" way.

It could be as simple as a few patches to get you from cat 3 to cat 2 racing say. People dont necessarily cheat for money. They sometimes cheat to say "I did this"  Yes I know they are only cheating themselves, but if people are prepared to dope just to get kudos, imagine what it is like when there is money and prestige at stake.

Zero tolerance is the way to go, but you cant turn back the clock. What we do need to do, is clean house at the top, where complicity compounded the problem as the man concerned made lots of people lots of money and make it known there is a new sheriff in town.  

cougie    pirate
24/10/2012 at 14:06

Exactly.  A new Sheriff in town.

Not the old dodgy one who was pals with the biggest Varmint around and took his cash.

Get someone in from another sport even. We need fresh blood to protect the riders. It has to be an environment where a clean rider can win and the penalties of being found out outweigh the benefits.

24/10/2012 at 14:12
Ultra cougie wrote (see)

We need fresh blood to protect the riders.

Possibly could have phrased that better!!

Anyway they'll need all the drugs they can get on Stage 18 this year Alpe D'Huez twice!

24/10/2012 at 14:44
Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)
Ultra cougie wrote (see)

We need fresh blood to protect the riders.

Possibly could have phrased that better!!

I had to guffaw when I read that - nice one cougs!

cougie    pirate
24/10/2012 at 15:18

Dammit.

Yes that twice up the Alpe will be awesome. I've done that descent off the back of the Alpe before now - its spectacular. Only the bottom half was tarmacced. The top part was a gravel road - with fords and unguarded hairpin bends.  I was clearly young and foolish in those days to come down there at speed ! 

I'm guessing they'll tart it all up a bit for the peleton if its not been done already. 

24/10/2012 at 15:27
mcs
24/10/2012 at 15:54

That will be a slow stage or will it!!!!

24/10/2012 at 16:23

cougie - I know the Alpe a bit but you must know it a lot better by the sounds of it - where is this road that they are tarmacing to get back down ?

cougie    pirate
24/10/2012 at 17:18
You have to go out the back - past the airstrip ?
And then you descend only to have to climb back up to descend back down again.
Didn't see any cars using it. Just Phil Anderson climbing coming the other way.
261 to 280 of 322 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.