Lard Arse

Training for the Outlaw

1 to 20 of 28 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
04/03/2013 at 14:50

Hi Folks,

I'm training for the Outlaw which is going to be tough enough as it is for me but I'm carrying a shed load of extra lard and TBH it's creeping up not down.

Is it sensible to try and lose whilst training or now just aim to not gain any more.

Any advice well come - I had kinda hoped that as the training increased I would lose anyway just because I'm doing so much more

Pix

M...eldy    pirate
04/03/2013 at 14:52

Ironman training is not a license to eat, many have found this out before

Advice is difficult as we dont know what your diet is like currently

Eat well, eat healthy and eat natural.

Fuel and refuel, dont eat rubbish

The Evil Pixie    pirate
04/03/2013 at 14:54

I don't eat too badly (I don't think!) just too much and don't seem to be able to think before I eat

cougie    pirate
04/03/2013 at 14:57
The less blubber you're carrying round on the bike and the run - the better you will do.

Probably makes sense to look at the amount you're eating - its far far easier to eat 1000 calories than it is burn it off.
04/03/2013 at 14:58
The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

I don't eat too badly (I don't think!) just too much and don't seem to be able to think before I eat

the answer's in your own hands EP - it's as simple as that

WhizKid    pirate
04/03/2013 at 15:00
Try and keep the bad stuff out of sight... If you have kiddies or whatever hide the chocolate in a different place, in general when doing ironman training the weight should drop off because of the sheer volume of activity.... I just got back from a long ride and shoved a load of veg in before I hit some sweet stuff... But yeah in conclusion if your doing the miles in training and eating well come July you will have dropped a fair few pounds
M...eldy    pirate
04/03/2013 at 15:10

FB is right

Jamie ... hide this, hide that ??.. Just dont buy it ?? 

04/03/2013 at 15:13

EP I'm finding the sme. It's very easy to eat more calories than you burn even with Ironman training.
My long bike on Saturday only burn 616 calories so a McDonalds meal would be more than that, or a big chocolate bar etc.
It's hard because after the work out you are extra hungry but really you don't have much more food intake required. Especially if you ate a gel or a cereal bar on the ride.

WhizKid    pirate
04/03/2013 at 15:36
I agree with the don't buy it... But long term change and all that jazz Nowt wrong with a little of what you fancy now and then, but 1 biscuit not a pack etc
WildWill    pirate
04/03/2013 at 15:41

Keeep a food diary and write down everything you eat or drink : anything from a notepad and pen to livestrong my plate will do

This will help you focus on what you are consuming and give you time to think about it  

04/03/2013 at 16:35
Tbh if you are IM training and you are carrying weight it should be dropping off you i am the king of pigging out and treats but once i get into that IM long slowish training groove i drop most of my extra body fat no matter what i am eating i also have an office job which dosent help
Take a good look at what you are eating in relation to haw much training you are actually doing
seren nos    pirate
04/03/2013 at 16:38

Ridge.....it seems a big bigger problem for women than men...I have put on 7lb again over the last 3 mionths whilst training over 10 hours a week............

it seems to put me in the mode of over compensating each time..........

YEp we need to be strict......and I think a food diary is the best way forward..........the extra weight will not help on the day..........

and if you carry on it will just get worse

04/03/2013 at 17:15
Fair enough Seren i am carrying extra podge at the moment as i am not training like a loon this year and as mentioned my diet is shite and i know it
I need to get a grip and limit my piggin to my training effort easier said than done
Crash Hamster    pirate
04/03/2013 at 17:21

We've been playing with a food and exercise diary on myfitnesspal.com and have lost 44lb between us over 18 weeks. I've lost my half of that weight (and a bit) while marathon training and have just taken 5.5min off my half marathon time. I'm now just about at goal weight in time for the last 8 weeks of marathon training (there are a couple more pounds to shift, but I'm now looking at a calorie deficit of 150/day, which should do the job nicely in time for a week's maintenance eating before the big day)

Shifting the weight will make a far bigger difference to your Outlaw experience than training IMHO; I'd have a crack at losing it now, then call it quits when you get to the really big weeks.

Iron Pingu    pirate
04/03/2013 at 17:28

EP, what are you drinking?  I think it's really easy to take in tons of extra unnecessary calories in drinks, ie, sugary drinks, sugar in tea/coffee, milky drinks, alcohol especially.  Just small changes there could make a big difference if you are drinking the calories.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
04/03/2013 at 21:07

Nice to see some folks having similar issues.

It is hard and I know that now I'm almost 40 *next month* that it's not going to get easier.

Drink wise

diet coke - 1 can a day at weekends
tea - white (semi skimmed milk) 1 sweetner at home (2mugs) 1 sachet sugar at work (2 cups)
weekdays - 1 options hot chocolate (40cals) a day to start the day off

Alcohol is Fri, Sat Sun if hubby not working (he does odd shifts) and will normally be 1/2 btle of wine

I think 1 of my issues is that I've been overweight for 15yrs now and "on a diet" haha lots of times but I hate my weight and try to forget it so therefore block out what is happening with food. So I don't think and serve up on autopilot meaning too much.

I also have a sweet tooth so 1 biscuit or work sweet and I'm lost for the day. Plus I comfort eat (again volume not lardy) and dad had cancer last year (was given the all clear Oct) then was told in Jan he has prostate cancer. So another excuse.

Garmin tells me I use loads of calories and although I think I mustn't eat all those cals I do naturally compensate and allow for extra hunger. I have, however, sussed the post swim hunger is hydration not food!

05/03/2013 at 07:58

I never lost a pound training for my first IM - it's all too easy to come back from a session and think that you 'need' to refuel or 'deserve' a treat when the reality is unless you're doing big sessions (90 minutes plus) you don't need anything extra. If you're doing a double then sensible refuelling after the first session (tuna sandwich/ glass of milk) and your usual lunch within two hours will fuel the next session.

To be honest though EP you know all of this don't you? You've read the books - Racing Weight etc - and can do the maths. You know you're an emotional eater so you have to break that side of the habit as well as the hand in the biscuit tin one. Have you ever looked at any of the Paul McKenna  hypno self help stuff (assuming you can't afford to pay for personal counselling) or thought about joining a group such as SW (I'm not a fan of WW, think that SW is more of a healthy life style option than the WW counting everything diet mentality but that's just my view)?

seren nos    pirate
05/03/2013 at 08:21

my fitness pal.com has set my sugars for the day at 25g but if i put in a breakfast of porridge with syrup and nilk ( small) and a small apple juice I alreay get to sugars for the day of 39......

i only have one small fruit juice a day.........but it has a days worth of sugars for me

Mr StOat    pirate
05/03/2013 at 08:58

Its all true. I'm a nightmare for getting home after a long run / ride and eating whatever I want. Or stopping for coffee and cake whilst out. I had lost halfa  stone but its mostly all back on now

I'd like to be closer to racing weight when I get to Outlaw, but thats very unlikely (my apparent racing weight is ridiculously small) but I am going to make a concerted effort between now and race day.

I think one of my problems is I started drinking again, there's loads of calories in cider, and I do like a pint or three - might try knocking that on the head first, and be more sensible. I find tracking my stuff on  My Fitness Pal tracker useful, so I'll start again, there's no hiding with proper tracking

The Evil Pixie    pirate
05/03/2013 at 16:26

Back on MFP and have been shopping (online) for Paul Mckenna CD

I need to not gain and ideally lose before Outlaw and need to gain more awareness.

Starting again today

1 to 20 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.