Let's celebrate shorter and faster in triathlon!

(Not a sexual thread, sorry)

1 to 20 of 49 messages
11/06/2012 at 19:52

I'm short, but slow...

ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
11/06/2012 at 20:09
I'm pretty confident that this weekend I'll be short and slow, and agree totally that getting fast over short distance is potentially much harder!

By default short means less distance for things to go wrong, more technical skill required and I would suggest to do well you probably need to be quick in at least one, if not two, of the three core disciplines (comparatively speaking to age group peers)
TheEngineer    pirate
11/06/2012 at 20:23

I'm short and fast, unless I've had a couple of beers. Then I'm short and slow. 

meface    pirate
11/06/2012 at 21:53

KK,

Depends where you are on two spectrums, body type and age.

Body Type - some are naturally better at short and fast and some are better at long and slow. Doing the opposite to your natural ability is harder.

Age - The older you get the harder it is too improve at short and fast and the bigger the risk of injury is. Simply we are less elastic as we get older, I am sure there is a granny that can put her toes in her mouth still but I have a 15-month old that can do that for ages and giggle at the same time. In general we are less elastic and therefore training for short and fast is riskier. Plus improvements are small and it seems easier to improve at long and events.

So for many of us training and improving at short and fast events will be harder than long and slow events.

Personally I have done lots of ultras, 3-road marathons, one IM, a few half IMs (my preferred I think) and the only real injury I had was achilles following a 10km training plan in the off-season. Too much speed work.

Having said that I am itching for another go at a sprint Tri at the moment.

M.eface

Hope    pirate
11/06/2012 at 22:07
You know what? I think people should celebrate and enjoy doing whatever distance they like at whatever speed they want to. The PSOF is an Ironman focussed group I believe, so I guess that's why the long stuff tends to be more prominent here.

Getting faster over long distance ain't easy either!
WildWill    pirate
11/06/2012 at 22:17
My auto signature on another US forum I frequent is "Sprint / Ironman ... Just different types of pain"

Done loads of sprints love them .. They are all out adrenalin rushes
11/06/2012 at 22:20
You mean they all hurt will? Dammit I was hoping for a peaceful serene Sunday doing my favourite things with a couple of hundred other like minded loons
Ironholgs    pirate
11/06/2012 at 22:31

love sprints as well - just about going as quick as you can until you feel like throwing up. Harbour ambitions of going sub 70 minutes almost as much as I'd like to go sub 12 for IM.

11/06/2012 at 22:32

Hi KK

I did an Olympic tri in 2001 ( maybe 02).  I was 24th in the NW region.  Some idiot tried to interview me for local radio while I was pulling off my wet suit (last out of the water... I made up for this later!!).  After the race, some other guy said I should take the pannier rack off the back of my bike.  The T shirt mispelt Olympic!

Anyway, I only did it because my mate talked me into it, it was his first event of any sort...  He went on to long course European Champs...

I gave up tri... not my scene... all that swimming and buying expensive bikes!!!

Just as well, the way the sport has developed in the last 10 years.

KK

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
11/06/2012 at 22:38
kittenkat wrote (see)

This forum by way of history celebrates long distance, and I applaud that because it's what got me into tri. But to address the balance I would say that getting FAST at shorter distances is AS hard, if not more so and the balance should be redressed.

love kk xx

Lets do it, ill race you at a super sprint next next year, which one do you want to do

11/06/2012 at 22:47
BossHolgs won't be trying to go sub 70, let's see at best 15 swim, 45-50 bike, 25-30 run, so that's errr more like a minimum of 90 mins
Ironholgs    pirate
11/06/2012 at 22:55

Sub 90 is something good to aim at.

my sprint pb is 71 mins

11/06/2012 at 23:09

PSOF National Sprint Champs 2013?! Liking that idea!

11/06/2012 at 23:15
+1
11/06/2012 at 23:15

I was just thinking that Gladys, for a few years there has been talk of getting some teams together for the National Club Sprint Relay champs, usually takes place end August (probably 2-3 weeks before Challenge Henley next year)

M...eldy    pirate
11/06/2012 at 23:18

Its Bank Holiday August weekend ..

11/06/2012 at 23:19
Training coach?
11/06/2012 at 23:31
gastank wrote (see)
Training coach?

Maybe one day

Doner Kebab    pirate
12/06/2012 at 01:07

you gotta love sprints - it hurts so fooking much - how can you not enjoy that buzz.

12/06/2012 at 10:27

sprints and standard distance races - as DK says - give you a great buzz.  equal to if not better than an IM buzz - the buzz of an IM is making the finish, the buzz of a standard distance race is adrenalin and endorphin rush that you don't get in IM.

you can also fit training into life rather life into IM training

me and Petal are going short this year - Windsor and Nat Champs coming up over the next 2 w/e's and then a few more later in August and September (one in France)

and with some local sprints, you can be home for breakfast - that big fry up is just waiting for you as you've done the hard work for the day.  what better way eh??

1 to 20 of 49 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.