Live London Tri coaching - on this thread

Two newbies and a national-level athlete in their final weeks

1 to 20 of 163 messages
04/07/2006 at 10:02
If you're racing the Michelob Ultra London Triathlon on August 5 or 6, we hope you'll enjoy this thread.

Tri coach Ralph Hydes will be steering two newcomers through their final five weeks' training right here, and a national-level triathlete will be sharing his countdown.

Please join in - feel free to ask questions or add comments, especially if you're training for the London Triathlon, too. (If it gets busy, Ralph may not be always be able to reply, as he's doing this out of goodwill.)

Here's a summary of our three hopefuls - you can find out more about them and Ralph in this article.

Barry Arnold, 31, is racing the Olympic distance at the London Triathlon, and only decided to get fit in the New Year. He started swimming in April and bought a bike at the same time. He's raced one supersprint triathon in practice (56:35) and tackles his first 10K on July 14. He'd like to race sub-2:30 at the London Tri and carry on for an Ironman in 2007. One of Barry's main questions for Ralph is how to stop training flat-out all the time; he hasn't really got the hang of structured training.

Natalie Creswick, 25, will tackle the sprint distance at the London Triathlon: her first tri. She used to row for her university, but has trained little since 2004. He current training includes a weekly running time trial with a local triathlon club, but she'd very much like Ralph to help to improve her swimming. She's also never followed a structured schedule before.

Dave Aitchison has an Olympic-distance PB of 1:59:10, and only took up triathlon in 2005. He was selected last year for the London Triathlon Academy - a grass-roots programme to encourage UK triathletes to international level - and is now coached by ex-GB Olympic triathlon team coach Bill Black. He won his age-group at the GB team qualifying race in mid-June and has just come 10th overall at the national championships. "It's all going way better than I ever dreamed this year," he says.

Welcome, all three of you - and good luck!

Sean, RW
04/07/2006 at 10:06
'scuse me Mr Fishpoo -

how old's this whizzy chap Dave, then?
04/07/2006 at 10:09
Sign Barry up for Austria.....

most important question though is...

Will they be wearing pirate kit in the race?
04/07/2006 at 10:10
he's a youthful 28...
04/07/2006 at 10:11
Oh.

I was hoping there would be at least one of them in the most heavily subscribed age group...

;o)
04/07/2006 at 10:13
Dave currently traings 9 times per week....Think some of the IM peeps could learn from that!

Barry - Needs a new swim set 15X 100 - yawn.

All look pretty fit though, so no possible DNFs unless there's a mechanical issue.
04/07/2006 at 10:19
I s'pose might have been more interesting from the existing RW tri'ers perspective if one of them had been someone who actually posts on here but I am sure we wish them well.

And very good pb from someone who only started in 2005.
04/07/2006 at 10:21
So who can lend them pirate kit?

RW Dan obviously.
We need two more sets. Yellow is the only colour to be seen in ;~)
04/07/2006 at 13:04
my kit would be too big for those skinny whippets..........

hey Pishfool - choose proper age-groupers - those in the 50+ please............life's harder as you get older and we need more exposure....................

and - don't forget the Clydesdales.........

in fact what about a write up on the M50-54 Clydesale over 220lb category............

;O))
04/07/2006 at 13:06
Hmmmm who on Earth would fit that category?
04/07/2006 at 13:08
dunno

errrm.......
04/07/2006 at 13:08
Me in 29 years
04/07/2006 at 13:11
more to the point, who in that category would fit in an average sized lake?
04/07/2006 at 13:11
29???

[throws Gumps a calculator........]
04/07/2006 at 13:16
gook luck RW peeps.
can we get JJ on the team next year?
04/07/2006 at 13:16
Do you think they've been warned to leave it at least 60 posts before trying to write anything sensible?
04/07/2006 at 13:22
I reckon so

although they must be used to having the piss ripped out of any article they write now..............

especially ones about triathlon in this month's RW - hot on the heels of one a few months ago...........

"Dear RW

It has come to my attention that you have started including articles on this new fangled sport called Triathlon in you esteemed running magazine. Please desist or I shall be forced to buy Running Weakly.

yours

Angry "sponsor me to walk a marathon" of Tunbridge Wells"
04/07/2006 at 13:22
I am also not sure these people are fully representative of the triathlon community which is a shame. It's a very inclusive sport but focussing on people within a small age band and all at relatively high levels of performance already is bound to put some people off. I sincerely hope it does not.

I would be interested to hear more about the selection process and whther they were clients of the trainer already?

Anyway it's good to see RW going a bit Tri, but it should also reflect it's readership.
04/07/2006 at 13:36
<settles down on the sofa with a beer, waiting to find out how to reduce his oly time from 2:57 to 1:57>
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
04/07/2006 at 13:37
What about picking someone without a 6 pack! Or is the primary selector photographic asthetics?

I to would like to see someone that actually posts and is known on the forum selected for one of these marathon or tri improvement programmes. Somone thats a bit more beginner than the '3' elites chosen for the tri training article.

Whatever my thoughts I do wish the 3 of them all the best and will follow their training with a keen interest.

Oh and im doing London Olympic Tri so wo-betide any of them that get beaten by a lard assed chain smoker ;o)
1 to 20 of 163 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.