London Bike Show, Excel 12-15 Jan

..anyone else going??

1 to 20 of 33 messages
09/01/2012 at 14:53
we're heading up to the London Bike Show at Excel on Saturday if anyone else is going....

going to check out the bling and try to source some ideas for the MTB I'm building up. I quite fancy the idea of slapping a Shimano Alfine 11 speed hub gear on it but want to talk to some people about the practicality of doing that.....
09/01/2012 at 14:56
How much are the tickets?
09/01/2012 at 15:01
errrm - no idea.....P booked them!

EDIT: £16 on line, £20 on the door
09/01/2012 at 15:02

Sixteen quid?! 

It's one huge collection of advertising, and they want you to PAY to be advertised at? 

They're havin a larf!

09/01/2012 at 15:16
wilks - as you don't understand bikes, £16 is not a bad deal to see what's what and more importantly, get your hands on them. damn sight cheaper than a lot of crap events as well!
09/01/2012 at 15:24

£16 quid plus my credit card taking a hammering...

Think i'm off saturday as well

09/01/2012 at 15:33
fat buddha wrote (see)
wilks - as you don't understand bikes, £16 is not a bad deal to see what's what and more importantly, get your hands on them. damn sight cheaper than a lot of crap events as well!

Hrrrmph!  Then there's lunch out, and (as FF points out) doubtless some spending......

I think it would probably just confuse me - too much information, most of which would go straight over my head!

09/01/2012 at 15:37
see you there FF....

wilks -

Golden Boots    pirate
09/01/2012 at 16:27
I went last year and was a little unimpressed... the road biking sections were pretty minimal... however I have been on the prowl for cheap tickets as I would go if I could get some cheap tix again (I think I paid half-price last year)
cougie    pirate
09/01/2012 at 21:44
Is this the one where there's four exhibitions for the same price ? An outdoor pursuits thing being another ?
09/01/2012 at 21:59
Yep I think entry is for the outddoor show and the boat show and a travel show as well as the bike show ...

FB, K will be " working" there ...
10/01/2012 at 09:21
yep - 4 shows on the same day. won't bother with the boats but might pop into the outdoor shows if we have the time.

B - I'll check on his "work" performance for you.....
10/01/2012 at 09:22
Talking about bikes all day for several days ... I've seen him do that for the for the last 20 years
10/01/2012 at 10:10
Like the idea of a hub gear FB - a few guys I know were talking about how practical they'd be in cyclocross after a particularly muddy one the other week where many rear mechs broke off at the hanger and the rest just didn't work after the first lap.

PlanetX/OnOne were talking about doing a hub geared disc equipped titanium bike sort of a double up cross bike/winter trainer but it doesn't seem to have made it past the prototype stage. Something like that might appeal to me.
10/01/2012 at 10:32
My overriding memory of this last year was sitting on the floor against a wall with Bassy and seeing how much longer his legs were than mine...

Oh and bikes. Lots and lots and lots of bikes. And bits of bikes. And things to stick on bikes. And things to wear when you're on a bike or mending a bike or making a bike. And a cool t-shirt that I didn't buy.
10/01/2012 at 10:37
On One are selling Alfine hubbed hybrids - Pompatine Hub bikes

not quite a CX bike but getting closer

my concern about slapping an Alfine on a MTB frame is how the gearing would cope under load. I've snapped chains before now when trying to change gear on standard setups and putting a lot of stress onto the change - I wonder how the Alfine would cope with that as I'd quite like to use the MTB for racing cross tri as it's a Ti frame so I can keep the weight down. it might be impractical for what I want to do vs a standard setup

Edited: 10/01/2012 at 10:38
cougie    pirate
10/01/2012 at 10:49
I bet you come out of there with a boat FB !
10/01/2012 at 10:55
will I bollocks. sailing is about the only sport that holds no interest to me. the technology interests me, but I am absolutely useless on water - I get seasick badly!!! I'm fine in and under water, but on it - useless.
10/01/2012 at 14:50
Looks like i'm going sunday now with my mate as he's decided that sunday is bargain day for him.
Plum    pirate
10/01/2012 at 15:01

Waste of time you lot going, I will have nicked all the stuff worth nicking on Thursday......

1 to 20 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.