London to Brighton bike ride

Anyone doing this?

1 to 20 of 28 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
03/03/2009 at 19:33

Having only ever riden for about 18-20m I've entered the London to Brigton! *gulp*

I'm a complete bike numpty so have no idea about fuel on the bike (is it the same as for a marathon?) etc to the more simple things like training for a 54m ride and maintenance!

So any words of wisdom, recommended reading or sites really appreciated!

Also any information about the actual ride! Do I need to do lots of hill training or just endurance? Would tri bars help? How much drink do I need to carry!

Really appreciate the help

thanks

Pixie

seren nos    pirate
03/03/2009 at 20:57

I did the London Brighton in 1988..............can still remember failing to get up ditchling beacon at the end (my chain came off.....thats my excuse).

good luck

The Evil Pixie    pirate
03/03/2009 at 21:25

so it's tuff of nightmares is it?!?

cougie    pirate
03/03/2009 at 21:36
Dont try the tribars ! Its a very busy ride - so you'll be covering your brakes lots of the time. 54 miles on a bike isnt that much really - a marathon is harder - but you still need to train. Work on getting up to 40-45 miles before the big day, and any hills you can find would be a help.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
03/03/2009 at 21:40

cheers cougie

is it that busy then? I was hoping for about 4hrs (I'm slow and lardy!) but you make it sound like FLM for bikes?

would I use the same fuelling rules?

cougie    pirate
03/03/2009 at 21:50
Maybe FLM has the edge on busy-ness - but this isnt far off. Just practice your feeding on your training rides - you can eat more on a bike as theres less jiggling round of your tum. I'd go for a couple of energy bars, and have sports drink in your bottle and you'll be fine.

Practice makes perfect.
03/03/2009 at 21:53
You will only make good time if you are in the first wave to leave Clapham Common, otherwise think of it in terms of pen 9 at FLM!
Last year it took me two hours just to clear central London. There is always an accident or two to hold things up as well. [sympathies to the accidentees].
I've only ever had a couple of water bottles on the bike and a couple of choccie bars. There are plenty of checkpoints along the way and they are generally very well stocked with all sorts of food - bbq's, sandwiches, cakes, fruit. Many are set up by scout and guide groups so the snacks are well priced. The pubs en route are obviously more expensive.
Being fit enough to peddle up hills is obviously a good thing, but there is likely to be 20 people in front of you on their trusty-rusty with shopping basket who have absolutely no hope of cycling up a ramped kerb, let alone a 1-in-5 hill, so you won't get the option either.
Don't let the ascent of Ditchling Beacon upset you - the ride down the other side at 45mph makes the pain worthwhile!!
It's a party - enjoy it!!
03/03/2009 at 23:39
I've entered it too, never done any serious cycling so was wondering how long before the event i should start training? How many rides of 40+miles should i get in? Training for a marathon in May at the moment so have a fairly decent fitness base. Only cycling i've done is cycling to work and back for a couple of months during the summer (only 5 miles each way).
The Evil Pixie    pirate
04/03/2009 at 07:46

glad I am not alone Tom!

I've got the London tri in August and I hope to use this training to improve my base fitness and cycling in general  as it is my weak element (I'm a slow swimmer and runner but know what I am doing!)

Like you say though how many long rides do you do? I know fro FLM I did 1 long (20m) run and 2 at 18 but would have liked to have done another long one, is it the same?

Having never got to that distance (which still seems so far for me!) how much recovery do you need? I assume the recovery fuel (protein) thing is the same as a long run?

Sooo many questions!!

Thanks lots

04/03/2009 at 10:36
I've done the L2B a few times and frankly wouldn't do it again - with over 30000 cyclists on the route it's pretty slow going and when you come to the first sign of a decent hill loads of people start walking and clogging the route up so it becomes impossible at times to cycle which is very frustrating if you're a half decent cyclist......

and as cougs says - ditch the tribars, you won't need them
The Evil Pixie    pirate
04/03/2009 at 18:58

guess it's like FLM then in the "just to say i have done it" way

My mum is waiting to have a major heart op this month and this being for BHF it made sense.

SO treat it like a training run really!

05/03/2009 at 09:34
not even a training run EP - just treat it as a day out on the bike.........and beware - when you get to Brighton the queues to the finish line are ENORMOUS......I think the last time I did it (admittedly a good few years ago now) we queued for way over an hour to finish. the savvy riders who know their way around Brighton avoid this by going through the city using different roads and coming out at the queue head at the roundabout at the end of Madeira Drive.

the other BIG issue that bugs people is getting the bike back to London - if you can have someone meet you with a car it may be easier as the trains won't allow you on with a bike that day due to the sheer volume and disruption, and the transport trucks are very very busy adding to delays and frustration

the BHF do other charity rides so why not look at them as an alternative??
The Evil Pixie    pirate
05/03/2009 at 19:59

thanks Buddha ... already entered though!

I have this idea that the 7am start will be less busy and that once I get there I can rest a bit then start home and meet dad outside of brighton as I guess the town will be busy too

so cake run then?

Stump    pirate
05/03/2009 at 20:02
Pixie - Go Girl. Your boundless enthusiasm never ceases to inspire me
The Evil Pixie    pirate
06/03/2009 at 07:41

aww fanks stump!

Maybe you let some of the inspiration on Mr Speedy when you let me have him??

My main worry just now is getting to the start!!

06/03/2009 at 07:54

IMO Pix it's too crowded to go for a time unless you set off really early - so you're better off just enjoying the day.  In which case you may as well make use of the numerous coffee and cake stops along the route

I think you get sent a map with them on with the info pack

My experience was that there tend to be bottlenecks - particularly at hills.  I of course would have powered up them no probs if only all these people hadn't been walking.

Is 7am start the first one?  If so you might be in with a chance of going for a time

The Evil Pixie    pirate
07/03/2009 at 09:22

it's the 3rd start bear so hopefully it won't be too conjested

obviously I need to drive back to the midlands in the evening so I don't want to spend all day cycling!

I'm hoping dad will pick me up (he doens't know this) and err get me to clapham common in time as the trains won't otherwise my bike and I wil be in a cardboard box under a bridge in london!

07/03/2009 at 09:29

Pix - IMO it will be congested

it runs pretty near where I live so I'll pop out and give you a big cheer

The Evil Pixie    pirate
07/03/2009 at 09:43
thanks bear!
K9
07/03/2009 at 10:23

Hello.

I did the great north bike ride last year (50M but fairly flat admittedly) on a background of zero cycling, having only just bought a bike. I think I started 'training' 6 weeks before and did about 6 increasingly long bike rides outside - ranging from 25 to 58 miles and about 10 or so sessions of an hour on the gym bike - and I was fine. (apart from falling off the bike at the finish line because I couldn't get out of the peddles). I had a camelbak for water and a bottle of sports drink on the bike. Didn't need any food - but the GNBR is nothing like as busy as the LTB and there were no hold ups at all - so it didn't take long and there was plenty of food at the finish. It sounds like you'll be out on the route for a lot longer so may need a bit more water/ snacks or money to buy them.

I'm sure you'll be much better prepared than this as you've got several months and all of your training for the London tri will help.

Sounds a bit scary with 30000 cyclists though. I was quite worried about colliding in the GNBR and I think there was only about 1000 in that!

1 to 20 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.