Long Distance OW Swim

training advice appreciated

81 to 100 of 176 messages
20/08/2012 at 18:15

And yay on the new job et al Caz

21/08/2012 at 17:55

I am swimming in a lake wwith the local tri club, but they are a bit tame really.  I am only allowed to go in naked if the water is above 14 deg, whereas I believe that the water is warm enough to swim in when it gets to 10 deg C.  However it is only 5 min from my house and when I get organised enough I will sttart cycling there.

I need to find other groups, but I've been so busy unpacking and getting my address changed with everyone that I haven't had time to hunt people out.

22/08/2012 at 21:50

Anyone doing the postponed Hampton Court swim?  I couldn't do the original date but it seems there are places now it's moved to 7th October so I've entered to try and swim a better line and beat my time.

best get back more serious training

24/08/2012 at 11:03

hmm, tempting

28/08/2012 at 14:22

It's a no from me, ITB.  My son's 18th bday that weekend.  Am not feeling the need to enter events like I did a few weeks ago, now that I've found the Seebrook Seals. As much sea swimming as I can handle (well, it also depends on petrol and time because it's a 100 mile round trip... but SO worth it, even if it's only once a week).

I've ditched the wettie, too, and a channel relay is on the cards next August.  The only prob is of course at the mo that I'm fit enough to swim a lot further than I can manage before becoming an ice block. I've got a lake 5k next weekend so might don the wettie for a good long swim in the sea this weekend.  But after that....

28/08/2012 at 19:10

I've found a group of long distance swimmers about an hour's drive from me.  I joined them yesterday for the first time and did a 10k river swim,followed by a pub lunch and cakes.  It was fantastic and I think we are doing another 10k this weekend.

purpletrilady    pirate
28/08/2012 at 19:15

AH - A channel swim relay, I'm impressed ! How did you find ditching the wet suit?

Supercaz - Great news that you've found a new group to swim with 

29/08/2012 at 08:14

So how does the channel relay work? Is there one route that you take with an official boat? Are there limits on team size? Its definitely something i'd love to try some time. I guess there is another month or possibly two of 'comfortable' swimming before it gets too cold. Would you swim in open water through the winter? Apart from tris it looks like my OW swimming is almost done for the year

29/08/2012 at 16:10
Caz - good news on finding some nice people. Just trotting out 10ks sounds quite hardcore!

B-k - channel relay same process as solo swim. Don't think there are rules on numbers but I guess there's an upper limit. Still have to do a 2 hr qualifying swim in cold water with no wettie, only one hat etc.

Purple - not hard to ditch the wettie when it had a big rip in the arm and the sky was blue and the sea blue and calm. Only downside is I an only do 1:15 befor I know I'm too cold. I might wear the wetsuit this Sunday just so I can get a good long swim in before my 5k next weekend. I do like being without it though. Very freeing. And invigorating. Apparently if I keep going I will gradually acclimatise. Some people take longer than others.

As for whether I keep going through the winter, the Seals do, even if it means splashing around for just 10 mins. But it's a 100 mile round trip for me so am not sure. Simon says he'll just hose me down in the garden on a cold day. Could work! But it would make starting again next spring harder.

Anyone else any views on this?
29/08/2012 at 19:41

The official options for Channel Relays are two person, three person and six person.  In reality if you have a 6 person scheduled and someone is ill on the day then they will let you go with only 5 people.

You generally swim for 1 hour each and rotate round until you reach land.  For two and three person relays you can chose to do 2 hour legs instead, but whichever you chose you have to stick with that all the way through.

You need to book a boat quickly as there is a two or three year waiting list for the best slots.  Or you can find a charity that will do the organisation for you.  I did mine with Diabetes UK but there are other charities that regularly organise swims.

You don't have to swim outside season for a relay, but you do need to get into cold water at least once per week in season to get acclimitised.  If you can go in two or three times per week then that is even better.  You can do some of that in unheated lidos, lakes or rivers but I would strongly recommend getting some sea experience in as it is quite different.

I do intend to swim all year round this time, but that is because I have a solo booked for quite early in the season so I will be needing to do 4-6 hour swims outside by May.  For a relay I would suggest that you aim to be doing only 20-30 min outside in May.

31/08/2012 at 09:56

Thanks for this, Caz.  All useful stuff. 

Re 'my' relay, it's just that Dee was talking about how we had enough people for another team and I suppose I assumed she could somehow get a boat at roughly the same time as the other two teams that are going in Aug 13.  Unless you coudl have two teams with teh same boat? Would only work I suppose if they swam at exactly the same pace which isn't really going to happen is it?  I would love to do it but perhaps I ought to chat to her now that I've kind of got used to the idea.

31/08/2012 at 14:08

You can only have one team per boat.  The boats aren't big enough to get two teams on, and it is considered unsafe for more than one swimmer to be in the water at a time as it is harder for the swimmers to stay together (they would have to be exactly the same speed).  It also complicates things in an emergency situation if one swimmer needs to be pulled out.

It is possible to get a cancellation slot at short notice.  Generally this is difficult to do because of the hoops you have to go through with the paperwork (qualifiers, medicals and also most people don't have that sort of money laying around), so timescales usually prevent it.  However, someone like Dee organises a lot of teams and will have a good relationship with the pilots so they might trust her to do things a less conventional way.

The general procedure is:

• Pay £250 holding fee when you book the boat.  This can be done months or years in advance
  • Pay £750 deposit in December to the pilot.  You also have to complete the booking form at this time, but they will allow you to confirm the team members at a later date
  • Between Jan and April all team memebrs need to get a medical form completed by their GP.  This typically costs between £20 and £100 depending on the GP
  • Around April the fees to the authorities have to be paid.  I think this comes to between £250 and £500 for the team if my memory serves me correctly.  This gets you registered with the officials and pays for an independent observer to witness your attempt.
  • All team members have to do a qualifier swim of 2 hours (6 hours for soloists) in water below 16 deg C.  This can be in the sea, a river or an unheated lido.  The limiting factor here is that it needs to be done before the water warms up, which is usually around June.
  • Six weeks before the swim the paperwork for the qualifier has to be received by the office and the pilot needs to remainder of the money, which is £1500

The T&Cs are slightly different depending on the pilot and whether you are with the CSA or the CS&PF, but the general guidelines are much the same.

31/08/2012 at 22:42

Thanks Caz.  I'll talk to her about it on Sunday.  I daren't add up all the numbers you've sited...

01/09/2012 at 11:00

Its between £2500 and £3000 for the team.  Divide that by the number of swimmers to get an idea of the cost

03/09/2012 at 15:50

Sounds in line with what Dee was saying.  You know Alice Hubbard, don't you?  She's due to do her solo this weekend!

03/09/2012 at 16:13

Hey folks - spotted this forum by accident and then noted you chatting about the channel relay next year. My eldest daughter has been invited to swim as part of a 6 swimmer scottish team - she is doing her qualifier this weekend as part of the Scottish east districts open water competition - she plans to swim the 4k event and then go around again with the organisers confirming her total swim time. Average temp is currently around 12-15deg in the lochs at the moment.

03/09/2012 at 17:15

Hen, I was about to say that Alice isn't going until September... but it is September!

Welcome hipster!  Good luck to your daughter

Can I just say that there are a lot of other long distance events, other than the Channel.  I don't want this to become a Channel swimmers thread where we pooh pooh everyone who only wants to do shorter distances, as is the case with other threads.  My definition of long distance is anything over a mile or two.

04/09/2012 at 12:55

Hope your daughter goes well Hipster.

I got a bit of chaffage from the neck of my wetsuit on Sunday. Hasn't happened before - but then I haven't swum that distance in the sea with it without  a rashvest before.  Could it have been salt?  I became aware of it after about 20 mins.

04/09/2012 at 12:56

In other news I have a 5k lake swim on Saturday. 

07/09/2012 at 13:15

Swimming in wetsuits/ - my kids would call that wimpish Open water comps do not allow wetsuits - they have to use fina approved swimsuits only which makes the challenge all the more difficult in Scotland. Forth crossing being swum this afternoon approx 6pm for anyone in or around Edinburgh who wants to watch an amazing open water swim - they battle sea water, tides, sharp seaweed, jellyfish and the occasional tanker or container ship while swimming from South Queensferry to North Queensferry. Water temp for this afternoon expected to be 13-14deg.

81 to 100 of 176 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.