Long Distance OW Swim

training advice appreciated

101 to 120 of 176 messages
07/09/2012 at 14:18

Sounds... lovely, Hipster.

Alice Hubbard is into her 11th hour. Apparently the sea is very rough and it looks to me like she's slowing. However, it also looks like she's definitely turned for the coast now.

07/09/2012 at 20:19
She did it! 13:55.
07/09/2012 at 21:38

Well done Alice!

08/09/2012 at 17:41

Just back from a 6.5 mille swim in the Ouze.  A new route for all of us so we took it very carefully so that we could suss out any hazards and potential exit points in case of emergencies.  Very scenic route and the water was crystal clear.

09/09/2012 at 23:07

Crystal clear sounds great. Haven't manged a proper ow swim but have been in the local lido (50m). Local pool is quite claustropobic in comparison.

10/09/2012 at 09:13

Agree - crystal clear is wondrous.  And 6.5 miles is pretty wondrous, too! Sounds like your new gang are a good find.

Bos - at least a lido is better than a pool, even if it isn't OW.

In other news I did my first race on Saturday and *drumroll* I was second female vet!  I nearly spat my coffee out when they said my name.  I know it's shallow of me but getting a prize has given me a boost and has made me feel enthusiastic for more swimming.

10/09/2012 at 09:30

Well done AH, it's always a boost to win a prize

I won a race on Saturday as well, but it was for running.. it will be a while before i win any prizes for swimming

10/09/2012 at 09:52

It'll be the 1st of Never before I win a prize for running!

13/09/2012 at 11:34

Well done on the race results.

AH, no need to feel shallow. definately something to put on the cv!

Have been to the lido a few more times, water temp definately dropping. Just a chap in a wet suit and me in the pool yesterday, overlooked by two lifeguards. Did a nice relaxed 90 minutes, only stopped because time was up.

13/09/2012 at 11:52

Sounds fabulous.  Am v. jealous of the peace and quiet.  I think that's what I like about swimming in OW when it's calm.

13/09/2012 at 19:35

I'm off down to Cornwall tomorrow for the Festival of Sport.  I've only entered the 10k swim as the prices were a bit high for multiple events but I am camping all weekend.

14/09/2012 at 09:39

Oooh - dying to hear what the FoS is like, Caz.  Looks a lovely event.  Esp if it's sunny and calm.  Have a great swim.  10k must seem pretty doable at the mo for you! 

14/09/2012 at 15:40

The FoS sounds great. Am more than a little bit jealous

It's really not fair that the sea is so far away ...

16/09/2012 at 14:10

Well FoS didn't happen.  I felt rough at work, so came home and fell asleep.  When I woke I felt properly ill so decided that a 6 hour car journey wasn't a good idea.

Feeling better today but seriously lacking in energy

I will be putting my name down for next year though, when entries open.

17/09/2012 at 17:43

Pity about FoS, but sometimes stuff happens and rest is necessary.

Went to indoor swim pool on Sat. It was far too hot and felt nauseous after 5 minutes (couple of earlier lattes may not have helped). I dont think I have turned into a hard core OWer, after just a few dips in an unheated outdoor pool, but I find I am more sensitive to temp. At last, I am a sensitive human being!

17/09/2012 at 18:26

http://www.festivalofsport.net/individual-entry.aspx?dm_i=14EX,YJ15,5JH12X,2VXMD,1

Entry for the FoS next year.  Prices are discounted if you enter before the end of October.  I'll be entering as soon as I get some money.  The feedback from my friends was that it was a great event.  It would be nice to get a few more people there next year... possibly even a Pirate outing?

17/09/2012 at 20:27

I'll bookmark it, but will need to get a bit more money in the bank before I commit.

17/09/2012 at 21:25

Aww SC what a shame you missed it.  I might well be in next year as I know when it is and can stop off in my hometown on the way; not so far from there to Marazion.

I noticed that my leisure centre is running a swim technique course soon, need to find out when it is but looks like a reasonable price depending on who's actually running it.

24/09/2012 at 21:39
Hi all just found this thread, great to hear so many people enjoying swimming. Just done my last open water swim at Pennington flash tonight, very cold. Most people seem to be from down south, but for all you northers a great event is the utterly buttermere swim n the lake district, cleanest water I have ever swam in. I did the 5k in 1 hour 39. They run a 1.5k,5k and a 10k swim.
24/09/2012 at 22:29

I did the OSS River Dart 10K on Saturday. A pretty well organised event, bit of a queue to register, but everyone got through on time & it all got underway on schedule. Although not strictly a race, chip timing was a nice addition.

No chance to acclimatise, race brief & then the off, walk over the timing mat & in via the boat club steps & off you swam. Quite good in that for the early big starting waves there was no start line scrum & none of the normal starting biff on the off.

The water was pretty cold, officially

101 to 120 of 176 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.