Long Distance OW Swim

training advice appreciated

141 to 160 of 176 messages
02/01/2013 at 18:07

Clean water. How lovely...

09/01/2013 at 19:02
Just entered the 10k swim at the utterly Butteremere swim in June, time to get training. The 5k was amazing last year.
09/01/2013 at 22:26

I'm doing the CWSC too and then the following week I'm doing the ChillSwim in Windermere.

In April I am doing a 24 mile swim - 1 mile per hour on the hour for 24 hours

10/01/2013 at 11:40
SuperCaz wrote (see)

In April I am doing a 24 mile swim - 1 mile per hour on the hour for 24 hours

Where's that?  Don't you get cold waiting for the hour to restart?  That's a serious sleep deprevation challenge.

11/01/2013 at 16:10

Guildford lido, ITB.  I'm doing it solo, but lots of people are doing it as a relay instead.

Its going to be a huge challenge for me.  Nutrition will be an issue, sleep won't happen, the cold will be a big challenge and putting wet swimming costumes back on.  If I can do that then I think I will be well prepared for the Channel.  I'm using it as a training session for my Channel crew too

17/01/2013 at 09:32

SuperCaz that swim sounds like an epic challenge!! Good luck with it and the training.  Sounds like perfect pre channel training.

Im psycing up to finding somewhere outdoors to train for my swim in May. Got to get me used to outdoor swimming and make a wetsuit or no wetsuit decision  

anyone else got any challenges on the horizon? 

17/01/2013 at 09:37

Oh anyother question. Has anyone used one of these Garmin swim watches. I quite fancy the one that counts pool lengths and total distance swam in a week (£110 ish) and I like the look of the GPS one but cant afford really  

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations. 

17/01/2013 at 19:50

I think they are great. Well I haven't used the swim, but I have the gps one. The swim watch is probably better in the pool as its a much slimmer watch. Not as useful for OW swimming obviously. Though it probably gives you a stroke rate in OW as well so still better than a normal watch. Tracking the total distance swam is a good motivator as well. I usually set a monthly target of say 30k and it helps get me to the pool!

Any reviews I've seen put the garmin watches ahead of the competition and at pretty reasonable prices too.

18/01/2013 at 14:13

I've got the Garmin 910 I think.  I love that it counts the lengths for me, now that I'm doing significant distance in the pool.  It isn't 100% accurate but its more accurate than I am capable of counting for distances over 100 lengths.

I'm less worried about distance in OW as so much depends on tides, currents, wind etc so the distance can be quite decieving.  For example I did 1.2k in 9 minutes in the river last month whereas it would take me about 21 min in the pool.  The difference was because the river was flowing particulrly fast that day and had nothing to do with the level of effort I was putting in.

18/01/2013 at 14:43

Thanks for the info B. Gonna buy the pool one for training and attempt to save for the GPS in time for swim in May I like the idea of getting performance stats online. Nice way to track progress. 

19/01/2013 at 21:11

I did my first swim in the snow today.  In fact I loved it so much that I did 3!

Not sure whether that is worthy of a Long Distance thread though, as I only did about 400m total

23/05/2013 at 11:51

Hey guys long time since any one has posted here so thought I would post and try to get some advice from you guys. 

Its my Eton 10k swim on Monday and I am getting a little bit nervous now . I did a (very) small practice open swim in my wetsuit and it seemed ok to swim in. 

My question is do any of you have any advice?  I am anticipating doing the 10k in 3hrs 30mins at a steady pace with a break or two. Any last training or diet or wetsuit or ?? tips?? 

I am not training this week as I am guessing a good rested body is going to help. Training prior was good got to doing 5k in the pool with relative ease and could have gone on. Crams were an issue in the pool but mainly pushing off the wall so I am guessing these will be lessened on the day? 

Thanks guys 

23/05/2013 at 12:32

Hi Jamie, can't offer any advice but will be interested to hear how you get on, I fancy doing some longer swimming events. I do find I get less cramp in open water but still cramp up occasionally.

Good luck on Monday.

23/05/2013 at 15:18

When I did my only 10k swim I was aiming for a similar time. Have you got a personal kayak with you? I did and loaded it with food and drink. You say a break or two. Get a clear idea in your head of when and why you will take breaks is my advice. You'll be swimming for a long time and when you're alone in your head it helps to focus clearly on these things

I took a short break every kilometer. Just 30 seconds or so to grab a gel or half a bar and a sip of water. It worked out well. I didn't suffer at all and found the swim much easier than expected. You'll want to eat things that you can swallow quickly as its pretty difficult to stay above water while eating. Swallowing a mouthful of water along with a bite of a snickers wasn't pleasant. Bananas would be good.. Of course if you don't have a kayak with you then you can't control this.

Cramp isn't as likely to be an issue as you'll be kicking a lot less in the OW and as you say not pushing off the wall. That's usually when i cramp as well.

The wetsuit will possibly cut into your neck over time so some oil / vaseline or bodyglide if you have it would be good to rub on first. Make sure you have used your goggles before. I used new goggles and spent the first 15 minutes of my swim messing with my goggles as they kept leaking. Finally got it sorted though!

If you're doing 5k in the pool I think you're in a great place for a 10k OW swim. Best of luck with it!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
23/05/2013 at 15:41
B_Kins wrote (see)

The wetsuit will possibly cut into your neck over time so some oil / vaseline or bodyglide if you have it would be good to rub on first. 

This.  If you feel the wetsuit rubbing your neck even slightly then stop and sort it out - it's always worse than it feels at first and by the end of 10k it will have sawn your head clean off your shoulders without you noticing.

23/05/2013 at 19:35

For nutrition I would recommend tinned peaches cut into pieces small enough that you can drink them from a cup with minimal chewing.  Those and a sports drink low in electolytes but high in carbs are the fuels I will be using for my 6 hour swim on Sunday.

Having said that, I am not convinced I will make it through the whole 6 hours as it is open water without a wetsuit and it is still a bit chilly out.

23/05/2013 at 20:35

Are you doing river, lake or sea SC?

Good luck Jamie!

23/05/2013 at 20:56

This weekend is in a lake.  Generally I avoid lakes as I find them as monotonous as the pool but with the added discomfort of weed, but there are lots of other people doing a six hour swim and its hard to find other people willing to swim for so long

24/05/2013 at 11:22

Hey guys thanks for the advice. 

Its in the Eton rowing lake they used for the olympics. I dont have a kayak but the total swim is 4 laps and there is a general feeding point at one end for all distances and one at the other end for just the 10k people. On the 10k only one you can take your own food onto the pontoon. 

I guess on breaks a planned small breather at each end of the lap would be good? So every 1.25k. 

Thanks for all the nutrition advice!! I am going to get shopping for supplies for the pontoon  

Good luck on your swim Caz. 6 hours sounds like a big ask! 

24/05/2013 at 15:50

I've done further JT, but that was in a heated lido.  Doing it in cold water is going to be a big ask

141 to 160 of 176 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.