Long Distance OW Swim

training advice appreciated

161 to 176 of 176 messages
25/05/2013 at 22:35

Jamie, I did the Dorney 10k last year. the pontoon was well supplied with gels & other food, sports drink & water. Did take my own sports drink but didn't use it much. You need to make sure you put it in a memorable place. & easily identifiable. I placed mine on the junction of the 2 pontoons before the race. Came in at the end of the first lap, couldn't find it. Unknown to me they'd added another pontoon & I was at the wrong join. Think there are 300 entered this year. I stopped each 2k lap, came in less than 2 minutes behind a clubmate who went non stop. Another clubmate tried a technique I'd been told, which was to drink 500ml of super concentrated sports drink just before the off, & then go non stop - he beat me by over 5 minutes. Wish I hadn't told him.

It is a slightly boring swim, like a giant pool. even has ropes just below the surface to help you follow a straight line. O

One thing there were complaints by the slower swimers being swum over as they were being lapped. My advice would be swim slightly wide out, let the fast guys, have the 'inside lane'. They dont always look where they are going.

Did suffer with cramps towards the end, but on the side closest to the bank it gets quite shallow in places & I could stand up & stretch the calves.

Was hoping to try it without a wetsuit this year, but just not got out in the lakes to practice or aclimatise.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, its a great achievement, good luck.

27/05/2013 at 22:42

Reporting in after my 6 hour swim

Water was 12 degrees and I was convinced that I would be pulled from the water by 3 hours, if not before.

But through very careful management of my emotions and feeds by my wonderful support buddy, I was coaxed through to the full 6 hours and swam 11.5 miles.

It hurt.  It was cold.  I hated it.  I cried.  But I did it and now I feel so proud of what I achieved.

28/05/2013 at 08:42

Very impressive Caz! Well done.

28/05/2013 at 09:32
SuperCaz wrote (see)

I hated it.  I cried.  But I did it and now I feel so proud of what I achieved.

And so you should be, congratulations, it's a great achievement, both physically and mentally. Hope you've been recovering with plenty of tea and cake (or cheese)

Now for the next one......

28/05/2013 at 18:29

I did have cake.  By coincidence we found a tiny coffee shop hiden away that we had walked past loads of times and never noticed before.

And the best bit was that it did not 1, not 2, but three!!!! different sorts of gluten free cake.  Its not often I can have cake and even rarer when I get a choice!

26/10/2013 at 18:16

Helloooooooooo! Anybody here?

27/10/2013 at 10:54

Hello Hen *waves*  Haven't seen you for a while

27/10/2013 at 16:43

Are you planning on any trips down here any time soon? Sounds like you're happily sorting out your new place.  Don't suppose you're going to the CSA do next week?  A few of us are going. Plus loads of Big Ricks. We're going to liven it up. 

27/10/2013 at 17:03

Pah CSA?  Not a hope.  But I will be going to the far more fun CSPF one in March.

I was thinking about coming down there for the Duck Relay, and possibly for the Christmas do if it falls on a day I can make, but at the moment I have deadlines to meet here so I don't feel that I can commit to anything until I know whether my deadlines have a hope of being met

27/10/2013 at 17:31

You are always welcome up here Hen

seren nos yn canu    pirate
27/10/2013 at 17:57

we had a great OW swim last saturday for the fullmoon in barry.....half were in wetsuits including me and half were without.... (true idiots).........it was lovely and everyone had glowsticks attached and the sea was warm and the rain stopped and the sky cleared so we had a beautiful view of the moon the whole time....

the next one is the 19th November but that is hubbies birthday and I'm not sure he will think that a fitting way to celebrate his birthday........

i'm not sure if he has forgiven me his 50th birthday present yet a few years ago...a place on his first ultra  and so a day running 46 miles in the beacons in the rain with me 

27/10/2013 at 18:01

I don't understand.  What's not to love?  Sounds like a perfect present to me

seren nos yn canu    pirate
27/10/2013 at 18:09

for some reason he doesn't like swimming and he doesn't like his bits getting cold.....I am having my doubts about his suitability as a husband 

07/11/2013 at 15:28

Caz I think a little trip up to do some well 'ard river swimming would be a fine idea.

Seren - so glad you had a lovely swim on the full moon. Magical isn't it?  I don't think it matters if you're in a wettie or not - the main thing is getting in the water. The funny thing is that recently I've really enjoyed the coldness recently (down to 12 deg this am at Fishermans). Perhaps after a year I've learned to love it and finally am getting that cold water buzz. Mind you, it's relatively warm still.  I did my 2 hour swim in 12.7 yet only lasted 50 mins today... although I wasn't freezing.

07/11/2013 at 15:30

Oh and the CSA do was truely dire. It lived up to its reputation. Simon heard one lady say, "I've been coming to this for 40 years and it's still as boring as ever."  Stuart (our pilot) said that at teh AGM the next day two 'young' girls wanted to go on the board. Hope they do - newblood etc. Was lovely to see people and chat and celebrate, but the actual awards bit *insert smiley hanging itself*

07/11/2013 at 21:16

I'm sure the Fisherman's bunch tried their hardest to liven it up Hen.

I've got to confess that I've lost interest in swimming at the moment.  I will probably get back into it next spring but right now I really can't be bothered to drive for 50 min to find a decent river

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
161 to 176 of 176 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.