Longest Day (Ironman) 2004 - Carl's thread

A discussion a motivation thread for newbies like me.

1,801 to 1,820 of 2,128 messages
M...eldy    pirate
02/05/2012 at 03:25
Back in the day eh Carlos!!!

Its good to look back on progress 

I was perusing the PSOF website and came across the link to this !
seren nos yn canu    pirate
02/05/2012 at 07:52
Did you ever get the sub 3:30 london marathon Barley.......
02/05/2012 at 08:15

posted
19/07/04 22:40
7988 forum posts
10 articles
2 bookmarks
21 event entries

Carl- As I said before your race, your efforts have been totally inspirational. The fact that you did not complete the full course does nothing to detract from your massive achievement as youve said yourself, well done mate.

Reading your race report and Candy's the other day has made me realise 2 things,
1) That i have to do an Ironman, and
2) That I could never do an Ironman

Hope the recovery goes ok and maybe see you on friday.

love reading back and seeing the old posts......can't do quotes on chrome......
02/05/2012 at 13:45

I remember this thread. I even posted on it in a previous life. Takes me back to when I could actually compete. 2003 TLD down hill ever since. Leave me as I wallow in my own misery.

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
02/05/2012 at 14:19
Ha ha, good memories and even though I didnt finish that one it just shoes a DNF doesnt matter in the long term.  Its all about the journey, ive had some fab fab fab times since 2004 and met some great friends. 
02/05/2012 at 14:37
yeh - and we've met you......

iirc - the 1st time I saw you was at the Vit in 2004 (the 2nd Vit I think) when I went past you on the dam thinking "who the feck is that??" with your strange gallumphing running style.

I still shudder at the memory of that - scarred me for life....
M...eldy    pirate
02/05/2012 at 17:48
I was talking to a guy at the weekend (who knows Oxy) and he was recalling meeting Barlos at AT the first year when 'this guy gets out of the lake after the swim and lights up a fag' ....  could only be one person 
02/05/2012 at 18:15
heehee - this must be the most revisited-over-the-years threads! Very high in "weren't we all nice to each other" points.

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
04/10/2014 at 04:57

Its hard to believe I started this thread 11 years ago, actually 11 years to the day when ill be taking part in the Ironman World Championships.  Given the coincidence I thought id bounce the thread and give a brief update.

Im flying to Hawaii later today, all primed and ready for anything Kona will throw at me.  I would be lying if I said id ‘pushed the envelope’, or ‘left it on the road’, in training, but the reality is that a penchant for enjoying myself, cookies, chips etc, injury and a long working week often get in the way.  That said id like to think im more ready for Kona than any race before. 

The last 11-12 years have been such an amazing journey, ive met so many fantastic people and had so many great experiences I can even begin to recall them now.  Many of you have been contributors on this thread (and others) and have helped me along the way , thank you.  Having spent the week working away I got home to a pile of good luck cards, very humbling, thank you.  All the cards are packed and will take pride of place in the hotel

Who was to know when I wrote the DNF race report on page 74 that 20 Ironman races I would be racing at Kona, it was watching the 2 lead men (or was it women) trading places through the energy lab on the grainy, constantly re-buffering Ironmandead coverage, which inspired me on this journey about 12 years ago.  I almost had to pinch myself when I realised this morning that id be boarding a flight to Hawaii later and (hopefully) running those same miles in a week.

I think its safe to say ive done this my own way, and my motivation has always been the experience, adventure and friendships.  Without the support on here from the start and over all the years since I don’t think id be on that flight later today.

The final build up has gone perfectly, I was out with for a ‘sharper run’ a couple of weeks ago with an internationally renowned athlete.  Admittedly Oxy and I walked half the 3 miles but we did avoid getting run over by forestry machinery, having ignored instructions that the paths were closed. 

Schmunks has been her usual rock of support and really does deserve a massive thank you for everything she’s done, the races she’s supported me at these last few years.  Im gutted you cant be with me but its understandable with your family commitments and Jnrs tri.  No doubt youll get your own back one day when he qualifies.  This is of course assuming its not just one big rouse to avoid 24-36 hours stuck in a metal tube with me

M...eldy    pirate
04/10/2014 at 05:50
Awesome Barlos

Go smash it and don't be shit
04/10/2014 at 05:59
Looking forward to reading about your adventures... enjoy the whole experience.. you deserve it after all the support and help you have given over the years
04/10/2014 at 06:02

Have a brilliant day fella, you've earned it.

04/10/2014 at 07:12
Go for it, and have a great time
Scuba Trooper    pirate
04/10/2014 at 07:50

Barlos - Have a great time you deserve every minute. Looking forward to pictures (except the pants run) and a report.

Duda the Mutineer    pirate
04/10/2014 at 08:06

Barlos well deserved for everything  you have done and achieved.

Have the best time every and don't be shit.

GO PIRATE !!!

04/10/2014 at 08:19

Amazing! All the best!

Magna Carter    pirate
04/10/2014 at 10:06

Top stuff Barlos.... knock 'em dead.... GO PIRATE!

Symes-lent night    pirate
04/10/2014 at 10:57

Excellent work Barley, look forward to seeing the great lump of a medal, not so sure I want to see the pics of you at the underpants run though   choooo wooooo!

Edited: 04/10/2014 at 10:57
04/10/2014 at 11:03
Have a great time!!
04/10/2014 at 11:11

Have an amazing time Barley. Can't wait to hear how it all goes. Congratulations on an amazing journey.

1,801 to 1,820 of 2,128 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.