Magneto TT - resistance level

Advice please

8 messages
02/12/2008 at 16:27

Hello

I've had my Magneto TT for about a month but find it difficult to know how tight to set the resistance wheel.

I did 50 mins the other day and after finishing, the bits of dirt I thought had been falling off the pike/pedals/shoes, turned out to be rubber off the rear tyre.

The instructiuon manual advises to tighten the resistance wheel until it touches the tyre, then turn the tightening knob 2 or 2.5 turns. This seems far too tight - can anyone else with a Magneto offer any guidance - thanks.

PS now my tyre has a lot less rubber - is it more likely tto burst?

02/12/2008 at 17:06

If it's not slipping during normal use then it's tight enough - also I'd keep the tyre pressures pretty high. 

cougie    pirate
02/12/2008 at 17:09
Turbos generate a lot of heat - so they do wear tyres more.

You can buy a harder wearing turbo tyre - but thats v slippy on the road - so no use unless you have a dedicated wheel, or an un natural passion for changing tyres ?

You can get a cheaper tyre too for winter if you know you'll be turboing.

You need the resistance on enough so you wont slip the tyre against the roller - but not enough to damage the tyre.

If I were you - I'd try again but back it off a half turn ? Different tyres will have different heights - so there isnt one magical setting for every tyre.

50 mins is a good effort though - how hard were you exercising ?
Turbo isnt the same as outdoor cycling - it should be shorter but sharper - you need a book and a HRM to get the best out of it.
02/12/2008 at 17:16

Thanks Cougie

I do one long-ish ride per week on the road, but heading for IM next year, I wanted to get into a routine of doing high cadence rides at home as well. I live in London so spend most short rides dodging buses or at traffic lights.

50 mins - taking it up a gear every 5 mins, so by the end I was quite sweaty. It helped me avoid Strictly Come Dancing in the other room though.

seren nos    pirate
02/12/2008 at 17:21
So cougie..........which books do you recommend to read whilst on the turbo................do you rest them on the aerobars??
02/12/2008 at 17:41
I heard that Cougs can just about manage his Janet & John books on the turbo.....Solzenhitsyn he finds a little tougher.....

cougie    pirate
02/12/2008 at 17:57
I cant even spell that !

I did get an accessory yeeeeears back that was to put your book on the bars - what a waste that was. The vibration was rididulous and you cant concentrate on reading either.

So read your training book before the session. thats my advice.
G-Sport    pirate
03/12/2008 at 07:16
i tried to watch Kill Bill on the turbo last night, very tricky the only thing half dead was me as usual

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.