I was thinking of Cta when Elbean posted.i thought you would be perfect

IronCat5    pirate
01/11/2013 at 14:21
seren nos wrote (see)

I was thinking of Cta when Elbean posted.i thought you would be perfect

I do have some uses!

M...eldy    pirate
01/11/2013 at 14:40

I'll think you'll find it is currently just the one use Cat ...!

tricoops    pirate
01/11/2013 at 14:59

Thanks Gaz, I am unfortunately in North Cumbria. I have joined Arragons Tri club and am going to their swim training which is a help. I am going to go on my first club ride tomorrow, hopefully I won't be left behind too early!

TR
01/11/2013 at 17:30

KateF - i think thats the same run route as the FM. The Tritalk folks rave about FM, its not the sort of race that would appeal to most Pirates though. I only race 1/2 IM distances but would consider FM if I was going to race longer.

01/11/2013 at 17:53

Right, sold TR. I'm doing Cotswold full in Aug which is completely different so hopefully will feel easier by comparison.

Cake    pirate
01/11/2013 at 17:53

Whats the FM out of interest?

seren nos    pirate
01/11/2013 at 18:26

forestman i would guess 

TR
01/11/2013 at 18:27

KateF - its supposed to be slightly eaiser than the Middle Distance but obviosuly is double the length, it certainlt cant be twice as hard as the Middle. It never usually sells out, so you can enter nearer the time. I might do one of the other distances, but will probably do the Swashbuckler instead which is 2 weeks later.

Cake - Forestman, there are some films of it on YouTube or on the Race New Forest web site. http://www.racenewforest.co.uk/the-forestman-22nd-june-2014/

Edited: 01/11/2013 at 18:28
01/11/2013 at 21:06

Yup, FM is Forestman, I've entered and Mr F is doing the Boskman 3/4 distance.

flyaway    pirate
02/11/2013 at 08:52
TR wrote (see)

The Tritalk folks rave about FM, its not the sort of race that would appeal to most Pirates though

What does that mean? !

TR
02/11/2013 at 10:20

Flyaway - I'm sure you'll agree with me (as usual) when I've explained myself......FM is a slow, low key race in the New Forest with about 120 to 150 competitors, the weather can range from sunny to p*ssing down. there's not many supporters (except ponies), and its pretty exposed and tough with most of the run off road. Most of the pirates like well supported races, with more competitors and the chance of making a holiday out of it as far as I can see (which can be done in NF). The TT folks like it as its tough, run by nice folks in an amazing place. FM would appeal to some pirates though, your mentor has done it, one time it had rained so much he nearly had to swim through the fords on the bike course...............see you there ?

02/11/2013 at 11:34

TR the bike part of Challenge Barcelona last month was hit by a thunderstorm, ankle deep water in some places, driving rain in the eyes and a drizzly run so abroad has no guarantees either! I feel I'm acclimatised.

Doner Kebab    pirate
03/11/2013 at 11:32

id do FM if i was closer - didnt mind going to the new forest for the double but wouldnt travel that far for a single or less. and i agree with TR not to a lot of pirates taste although the ones that do the lower key events are the ones that arent after the " go pirate" at every corner

TR
03/11/2013 at 19:13

Kate - sounds like ideal prep then, If you've done the Middle Distance (which was a hard day out this year with that ran route) and the Heartbreaker then you are well set for the FM.

DK - sounds like you live a long way from the New Forest then, I live about 30M away so its ok for me.

OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
03/11/2013 at 21:29

I have 1 mentee for this year (that i have mostly ignored so far....oops) 

I am happy to take another is anyone is interested.

I am better at Ironman than i am at being a mentor, but a crap mentor is better than no mentor?.

03/11/2013 at 22:29

Picking up on FM - I did it this year for by cherry-popping first IM distance. Not from the area at all, just fitted in at the right time of year when talked about training & effects with rest of family etc...

Made it into a genuinely brilliant week holiday for all the family (two pre-school kids, the missus and in-laws). The event itself is awesome - the run truely horrific! It is the same course as Heartbreaker earlier in the year.

Organisation is spot-on, made to feel really welcome. Free food at pre-race briefing, free food at end. You can stash your own food at the bike feed stations, and you even get to pick a finish tune to be played as you come through the holiday park at the end

In short - a low-key event, spectacular scenery along the whole route, good organisation and in lovely area. What's not to like?

Duda the Mutineer    pirate
02/01/2014 at 21:37

Dragging up a thread that has not been seen for a while but I have been thinking about this a lot of the Christmas break.

Would one of the experienced pirates be prepared to mentor me? I am planning top follow Finks competitive plan and have entered Titan Middle distance and IM wales.

I would really like to put in a decent time for my first IM and do feel like I have potential. Having not really done  a lot of excessive in the past 10 year but  I have been training fairly consistently for the last two months and am averaging about 15mph on the bike and about 1hr for a 10km  both over hilly terrain.

Cheers and Happy New Year.

Dustboy    pirate
02/01/2014 at 23:26

Ah yeah, I can help with duathlon, yeah says Cat5 as he ponces about in the GB kit. Brilliant.

Hey Cat5, how are yer, Pole, he is actually a pretty good bet to learn from.

18/01/2014 at 19:29

Bounce for this one. I'm training like a dick, 45 mile run last Saturday, marathon next Sunday as part of a holiday to Gran Canaria with my brother which will involve cycling, eating and drinking. Is there any training plan anywhere which allows running every day as I'm struggling not to? A bit like looking at weather forecasts, keep going until you find one which suits you. First IM is in June, when should I be swimming the full distance? 

221 to 240 of 250 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.