Mentors and Mentee's thread 2014

21 to 40 of 267 messages
9Iron    pirate
17/07/2013 at 16:48

Hand up at the back of the class, but not for a wee.....could do with help planning so I build up gradually. Started f/crawl in Feb this year, had a bike since last June (not done many miles though), but do come from running since 2009 (couple of road maras, lots of off road stuff incl lakeland 50 / fellsman). Did the slateman in May and had to b/s most of the swim, walked the last 500m of llanberis pass, but enjoyed the cramp throughout the run!!! Was 50 in June, so time running out!! will do Outlaw 2014.

Thing is I find it hard to plan (due to 4 kids / 2 dogs & the OH who thinks I'm rying to kill myself!) Every day is a juggle, but I need to sort that out ASAP.

Pool swim on monday / penn flash thurs and long bike (40m for me anyway) using parbold hill area.

Have to go bck to that lake inllanberis to beat this ow thing so finger hovering over the brutal half entry button....is this a swim too far though....

any help please?

Hope    pirate
17/07/2013 at 17:49

I have done 3 IM distance races and although I still feel I am learning, I would be more than happy to mentor and encourage a newbie.

17/07/2013 at 17:59

Mentees - if you see someone you think would suit you as a mentor pm them and have a chat about you, your life, goals, ambitions etc and see if you think the response is in a vein that would work for you. We're all different!

Hope - the day we have nothing to learn is the day we beat the world record!

Edited: 17/07/2013 at 17:59
17/07/2013 at 18:10

Hope, would be great if you could mentor me, 3 IM races is 3 more than I've done!!

Hope    pirate
17/07/2013 at 18:28

I would be happy to. PM me 

M...eldy    pirate
17/07/2013 at 18:52

We seem to have a lot of newbies in here today ..

read a little about us www.pirateshipoffools.co.uk  get to know the vibe

Take time to read and lurk and post and get to know people.   These are pirates who have raced and done Ironman, they are (for the most part) contributors to the forum and to the club.  These are people who (for the most part!!) have a day job ... they wont come looking for you !!    Get to know the person and see who best suits you and your lifestyle
This is not neccessarily someone who will sit down and plan your week for you for the next 12 months or so, they are there to listen and advise and to kick your arse when you need it, its a two way thing !

Britrisky    pirate
17/07/2013 at 19:34

Just to +1 for what Meldy said - I had a mentor last year, having first read a lot of posts and posted a bit and done an oly tri ...

I got Fink, read it over and over, spent a looong time with bits of paper saying "Swim" "Bike intervals" "Long run" and the like on, moving them around on a typical working week to work out where all the sessions would fit in. I got OH on board and to agree with my plans ...

Then I ran this past my mentor, who suggested a tweak here and there, and I was off. For me it really helped to have someone to offer a bit of advice about different stuff now and again, and sometimes just to tell me what I was doing was good. 

And then I did Outlaw, and want to do it again ... and a public thanks to Running Postie!

Symes-lent night    pirate
17/07/2013 at 20:07

My mentee beat me, and I'm not entirely sure he wasn't responsible for some of the punctures I suffered that day. Be warned potential mentors, some of these people are sneaky 

M...eldy    pirate
17/07/2013 at 21:05

good point fruitcake .... mentees are not allowed to beat their mentors 

OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
17/07/2013 at 21:07

I am available if anyone wants me....

My mentoring history is a bit rubbish though

7 IM distance races done, 2 more next year.
I was (am) a bit of a faster pirate, and base stuff on Gordo / Friel / Going Long approach, so I like HR zones, sorting a basic week out that you repeat 40 weeks a year, (just increasing the endurance sessions up) etc etc.

Happy to point a fitter enthusiatic newbie in the right direction, (ie hold them back   ) rather than helping a total newbie to exercise...(if that makes sense) as there are people on here with much better relevant expeience in that than me.

PM me if you need a hand

oh and I'll buy you a pint if you beat me in Nice !

Edited: 17/07/2013 at 21:09
MTri    pirate
17/07/2013 at 21:12

Im up for mentoring if anyone fancies it. 

Two IM races under my belt, UK in 2010 and Wales in 2011. This year I'm doing Challenge Vitoria and back to IM Wales. Not fast, 13 1/2 hour PB, but down to earth, and stubborn, do I don't give up. Im South Wales based. 

purpletrilady    pirate
17/07/2013 at 21:19

I'm available if needed. 

I've done 2 IM's and am doing my second attempt at the Double next year.

I took up tri's 3 yrs ago at the age 47, previous to that I had done 1 marathon and absolutely no cycling. I know what it's like to struggle on the bike and I still hate hills!

I met the pirates in Sept 2009 when doing Nantwhich sprint tri, thinking I might complete an Oly in the following year, They spun their magic, I completed Outlaw 11 months later. I had a fab mentor and can really recommend using one, She was similar in age and ability and that definitely helped.

To summarise; I'm female; old; slowish but happy to help

17/07/2013 at 21:37

I am available to any wear country newbies who want any advice be it training or technical I have 6 IN a behind me and am a mid packet PB 11:13 don't mind what level you are as long as you are fully committed and willing to work hard

17/07/2013 at 21:38

That's West Country

M...eldy    pirate
17/07/2013 at 21:43

He's old ...  you have to be used to dealing with old people who cant drive a computer 

seren nos yn canu    pirate
17/07/2013 at 21:46

is an IN one up from a IM......maybe a IronNed

17/07/2013 at 21:48

I have been on a number of the Pirate trips since 2005, most recently in Lanzarote and am happy to provide my perspective/experience. I am contemplating Nice next year. I suspect that this would be of most use to those born before 1965 as I am of 1950s vintage and I have found that there is a need to manage your effort differently as you get older.

I do not come on the forum very often so best way to get me is to PM me. 

M...eldy    pirate
17/07/2013 at 21:50

Blimey Dermot !   You only usually appear when there is a race looming 

17/07/2013 at 21:59

Indeed  - fair point. I have a bit of spare time at the moment and I saw this thread and thought there may be some more elderly members of the community needing assistance!

I had originally come on to see if there is a plan for Nice next year as was talked about after Lanza. I think this works for me.

M...eldy    pirate
17/07/2013 at 22:01

Nice is most certainly the plan for next year, hopefully you wont have to wait quite so long for me this time !!

21 to 40 of 267 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.