Mentors and Mentee's thread 2014

141 to 160 of 259 messages
seren nos    pirate
25/07/2013 at 17:12

I don't like tea either Cake.............tea slows you down don't you know 

Hope    pirate
25/07/2013 at 17:23

How can anyone survive without tea??? 

I swear, if I could get a teapot into transition I would! 

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
25/07/2013 at 17:23

Mouse, what do I get for £50?

Hope    pirate
25/07/2013 at 17:28

Tea AND a biscuit?? blinks

kittenkat    pirate
25/07/2013 at 17:47

I think that the success of the Forum 6 (I must be the 'others' someone mentioned), is that it mirrored RW's own project and format. In that it was it's own package.

IM mentoring is very established in its own genre, I agree fully that if it was more public on here there would be advantages for wannabe and established tri peeps. However, from personal experience of mentoring I know that a one on one private connection works better for the individual, especially given how much a head fuck IM training is and how much people involve themselves personally, physically and financially.

How about more generic 'training/mentoring' threads that aren't specific to individuals but would generate supportive groups?

25/07/2013 at 17:55
Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Mouse, what do I get for £50?

A clip round the ear from me, if you're implying anything inappropriate and/or sexual

25/07/2013 at 18:29

Well the last few years we had the Ironman training thread where everybody could post what they were up to and newbs could ask for advice it seemed to work well, covered all training and any race I didn't start it this year as the Fink for Outlaw thread started and two would have been too much, but an open General IM training thread where we bounce training ideas and help out 1st timers might be a good idea

M.r Zuvai    pirate
25/07/2013 at 19:04

KK - apologies no slight intended with the term "others" merely couldn't remember who else was involved

25/07/2013 at 19:16

If mentor/mentee pairs want to put themselves forward for a format similar to the Super 6, then surely they should be able to 

If someone wants to start an IM training thread, they are perfectly within their rights to do so

Isn't it up to the reader to decide which thread they look at and maybe post on

Hope    pirate
26/07/2013 at 08:04

I don't really see why it couldn't work to be honest.

It would interesting to see the journey. I especially like the idea of a mix of newbies and wanna be improvers.

With IM training there are so many ways to skin a cat and it would be good to hear how others tackle it. 

There's a lot more to it than simply following a training programme. I think it would be useful.

26/07/2013 at 08:19

I agree, I would definatly like to hear what advise is given to improvers, maybe there could be a mix of those, ie first time DNF 2nd attempt, targeted improvement under XX hours etc, aswell as the advise to first timers.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
26/07/2013 at 08:57

You don't want to complicate things though, because at the end of the day most of the advice given on these threads is pretty generic anyway - it's not rocket science.  If you have a dozen threads with very specific targets then nobody knows where to start.  I imagine there's a few newbies who don't look in the 'Fatman to Ironman' thread because they think they don't fit the brief, when there's lots of useful stuff in there that isn't weight-specific.

You only have to look at how the RW Asics Paris marathon lot struggle to find 6 distinct categories every year, then you find that everyone they pick could fit into at least three of them. 

TR
26/07/2013 at 18:10

I was asked to be a mentor on the marathon threads but didnt want to do it as some of those threads have attracted folks that show up simply to ruin the threads in the past through jealousy or whatever else, I said I was prepared to do it off-line though. Dont think that would happen on a IM thread though as the folks are more supportive.

Hope    pirate
26/07/2013 at 21:06

Wow! Does that really happen? That surprises me.

26/07/2013 at 21:26

I've not seen that happen on mentoring threads, but then I guess I don't read all fo them.  I ahve seen it happen when an explosive collection of people have decided to contribute on a general thread for a specific event.

My problem with mentoring publically is that I don't feel that I am The Expert and I'm concerned about people taking what I say as gospel because of the title of Mentor.  At the end of the day there are loads of ways of going about things and my way is only one of them.  There are too many people who like the black and white answers

seren nos    pirate
27/07/2013 at 09:27

TR.I have nticed it a couple of times with the offical threads.....but not on the unoffical ones......

they are always light hearted and fun and taken for what they are......as far as i have seen

Hope    pirate
27/07/2013 at 12:01

SuperCaz I understand that. There are so many ways to deal with Ironman training and many approaches to how to tackle the beast not just physically but mentally too. 
In my early days I used to go around in circles a lot, listening to all the advice going around and getting quite anxious in the process.

Some wise soul (Meldy probably) told me just to listen to my mentor and block out everything else. It's why finding a mentor for Ironman isn't as straight forward as wanting to attain a similar performance. You need support on a lot more levels than a training plan alone. Especially during the peak phase when the thought of a little light dusting can tip you over the edge .... It's important to find someone who *gets* your life's pressures.

It's very easy to feel you're not doing enough or too much if you're listening to too many voices. That would be my only concern.

TR
27/07/2013 at 12:16

Seren - yes, jealousy from folks not selected on the official thread etc, can spill over a bit onto the unofficial ones, depends a bit upon who gets into the thread, dont think it would happen on unofficial IM ones though.

kittenkat    pirate
27/07/2013 at 19:08
M.r Zuvai wrote (see)

KK - apologies no slight intended with the term "others" merely couldn't remember who else was involved

No offense taken, I'm just being me

kittenkat    pirate
27/07/2013 at 19:10
TR wrote (see)

I was asked to be a mentor on the marathon threads but didnt want to do it as some of those threads have attracted folks that show up simply to ruin the threads in the past through jealousy or whatever else, I said I was prepared to do it off-line though. Dont think that would happen on a IM thread though as the folks are more supportive.

Really? I've not seen that, but then I must admit to not really getting involved further than setting them up.

141 to 160 of 259 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.