Mentors and Mentee's thread 2014

1 to 20 of 259 messages
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
17/07/2013 at 09:50

Plagurised from FB's 2013 thread:

"For those who are new, mentoring has been taking place for a few years now and it's a way for newbies to pick the brains of the more experienced.  Mentors aren't intended to be coaches, although I know some do offer some coaching, but as sounding boards so they can assess what they are doing, pick brains, get support, and generally get the benefit of someone's experience and knowhow.   

The way it works is that a newbie can PM a mentor to ask if they want to hook up and then take matters from there on a private basis.  a mentor can have as many mentees as they wish, but I usually limit this to 2 or 3 on a first come, first serve basis.  there is no compulsion, there is no structure - it's up to the individuals concerned as to how they work with each other"

Edited: 17/07/2013 at 09:53
17/07/2013 at 11:17

I am happy to give something back to the community that has helped with advice (and a poke in the eye, when appropriate) over the last three years.

I am by no means a technical guru but with the best part of 1,000 hours of training under my belt (the notches of which I am thankful, have got a little closer in that time), I will pass on what guidance I can for anyone training from sprint (15 completed) to IM (2 completed).

seren nos    pirate
17/07/2013 at 11:18

I am willing to mentor.but am not technical...........and have a mix of encouragement and tough love

17/07/2013 at 11:41

Realistic, honest, plain talking but supportive.

Pudge    pirate
17/07/2013 at 11:42

So, how about it Seren.......me.........you...........tough love........?

M...eldy    pirate
17/07/2013 at 11:50

I'm available if anyone is brave enough 

will add more later

17/07/2013 at 11:54

I'll help if I can

Nurse Ratched    pirate
17/07/2013 at 11:54

and she mentors as well

Nurse Ratched    pirate
17/07/2013 at 11:55

Oops x-post! That was for Melds 

17/07/2013 at 12:26

i would love someone to offer me advice and bully me along

WildWill    pirate
17/07/2013 at 12:37

Im available too - if intrested PM me

PS ... I'm not a Fink fan

Cake    pirate
17/07/2013 at 12:44

Fat lad know's what to do just doesn't always do it myself and loves hill's. Live up north in yorkshire where men are men and also some of the women are as well.

If you need help with crawl through I would ask someone else.

citizen 146    pirate
17/07/2013 at 13:50

gods own county , or so they tell me

17/07/2013 at 13:56

I am looking for a mentor as well. 

I am looking to do my first Iron distance event in 2014 and deliberately avoid calling it a race as I have I will not be racing against anyone just trying to get around in my own target. 

My swimming is awful and needs a lot of work. My cycling is ink and improving steadily and my running is best not mentioned. 

one great advantage for me is stubbornness. If I am told I need to run 8 miles at 5 am tomorrow morning I will do it, if I am told to cycle for four hours I will do it. I know no better so will do as I am told without question !

for lack of a better plan I intend to follow Fink as I need the structure to work towards.

so if anyone is willing to mentor me let me know. I live in West Wales very close to e Ironman course so much of my bike training will be on treat course.

take care and keep smiling

John

17/07/2013 at 14:05
Nurse Ratched wrote (see)

Oops x-post! That was for Melds 

None taken Nursey

17/07/2013 at 14:25

Would be really grateful for any support/mentorship, looking to do Outlaw 2014, did a half IM in June but was only allowed to finish as there were no cut-offs (I readily admit my training was pants (too many excuses: job, family etc, one good thing about reading forum posts is that those are not acknowledged as excuses!!)

My goal is firstly to finish, but the icing on the cake would be under 14 hours, the bad news is I weigh far too much but at least I know my swim is OK but needs a fair bit of work, cycling is crap, running slow, I guess I am trying to say I am in the remedial class at the moment.

I live in Gloucestershire/South Gloucestershire border, would be excellent to feel that extra push and different training always freshens things up a bit.

Many thanks for any help (or arse-kicking) that anyone can provide, it will be all be hugely appreciated

Cheers 

17/07/2013 at 15:12

Could I jump in also - I would like a mentor if someone is looking to beat me down!   I need someone to be straight with me and say it how it is!

I live in the Monmouthshire area, and I am very much like LittleBigHorne, the best part of my triathlon is my swimming and I also weigh far too much, but hopefully not for too long - just getting back into fitness at the moment, so my mentor also needs patience and lots of it!

I am looking to do IMWales 2014 if it is still running. 

Thanks and hope I don't infuriate someone too much!

IronCat5    pirate
17/07/2013 at 15:51

I've only done one IM though I've done a handful of sprints and raced pretty much every sensible tri distance there is to race. I did all of this with a young family and vast work travel.

I'm happy to give back to the community if anyone wants some similar advice. Warning, life is very much black and white for me.

17/07/2013 at 16:13

Me too, please.

I'm a total novice and am planning to enter Outlaw 2014. It's been a long ambition of mine to complete an iron distance and I just feel that now's the time to try.

I'm a reasonable swimmer (ex-county in my teens) but OW freaks me out a bit. I run often but slowly, and cover about 30 miles a week on average. I've not spent much time on the bike and I've only ever done one sprint tri, so this will definitely be where I will need the most help.

I am a good trainer and have grit and dogged determination by the bucket-load. I don't mind tough love or straight talking and I'm realistic about my own (fairly limited) abilities. 

I live on the Fylde Coast in Lancashire

Cake    pirate
17/07/2013 at 16:33
citizen 146 wrote (see)

gods own county , or so they tell me

Ay lad *odd to new world in background*

1 to 20 of 259 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.