Micro-cyles

...and I'm not talking about mini-me bikes!

21 to 40 of 60 messages
04/09/2003 at 15:19
Daz,

When i was training hard i found that was the only way i could do it - alternating running one week and cycling the next. It definitely worked for me. I didn't need to do the swimming so just fit a session in whenever (i was national level and on less than 45 km swum this year still swim 1500s at 1.15-1.20 pace per 100). I can't do it at the moment as i can't run (ITB) so trying to cycle in my running weeks too.
04/09/2003 at 15:21
Ps. National level a long time ago but technique stays with you once you have it mastered.
04/09/2003 at 15:21
(I think he's still reeling from the THWAP)
04/09/2003 at 15:24
Thanks missus!
you think it might work then?
i think id feel more comfortable skipping cycling and running one week out of every three. would be better for me as could def get a good 4+ sessions of the two disciplines in each week and be able to do some decent interval and hill sessions.

btw, excuse my ignorance, but what does ITB stand for?
04/09/2003 at 15:25
missus l, the swim technique is something that haunts me and i will take to my grave. i just dont know what im doing wrong to make me so slow :O(
if i could afford a personal trainer i would!

jj, you dont mean it....
04/09/2003 at 15:25
ml - can you still swim close to that speed then?
04/09/2003 at 15:27
What is slow and what is fast for swimming. Only just started swimming properly again since 14 years ago. Can now manage a mile non-stop crawl which I've never been able to do before, takes me about 35 mins.
04/09/2003 at 15:28
ITB is illio-tibial band, runs from your hip to your knee....fairly common running prob but a right old pain.
04/09/2003 at 15:32
You'll get quicker Matt.

if you need to know about technique as pantman, spans and missus l by the sounds of it!
04/09/2003 at 15:34
ITB - illio- tibia band (sp?) the hard band that runs from your hip through your glute hamstring and quad to your knee. Every time i run it spasms and pulls my knee and hip out of alignment - bit sore:-(

For swimming go along to a tri-club swimming session or a masters session, the tri ones are usually better though as they should have a coach who is prepared to teach first principles rather than make you swim hard/fast.

Am swimming at 1.18-1.20 ish at the moment in the pool (fast at tumble turns so a bit slower open water more like 21-22 minutes for 1500) - should come back a bit faster as didn't swim other than races for 3 months (kept "forgetting" to go).

I found doing the weeks about i could do lsd, hard, hills etc whereas when i tried to do both disciplines i seemed to end up doing loads of recovery rides/runs. Every 3 weeks would be fine too

04/09/2003 at 15:38
Daz - can you float?
Sounds odd but some people can and some can't. If you take a breathe then tuck yourself into a mushroom do you bob around on the surface of the pool or sinkk?
I am teching/coaching a guy hwo wants to start tri at the moment and he bounces off the bottom of the pool when he does that.
04/09/2003 at 15:40
How much time do you think can be saved in say a 25m pool over 500m by doing an average tumble turn over an average em standard turn (no name for this?).
have two races left and intend to tumble for part of both.......but i occasionaly go VERY wrong! :O(
cougie    pirate
04/09/2003 at 15:42
Oh. I'm gonna try this floating mushroom thing. I do suspect the lifeguard will need to jump in and rescue me though.

If I go missing for a while from the fora, can someone ring round the pools and ask them to check please ??
04/09/2003 at 15:43
hahaha poor fella. i thought everyone floats!?
yes i do, float that is.
cougie    pirate
04/09/2003 at 15:45
I certainly seem to have heavy legs (too much bike) and they drag through the water too much.

Would a wetsuit help this ?
04/09/2003 at 15:47
remember that game you played at school in the swimming baths where you had to curl up in a bawl holding your breath. the winner was the one who came up last. the teachers used to start this game every week.

i always thought it was fun (well i was young and competitive) but god, we used to almost pass out at times trying to beat each other.
04/09/2003 at 15:49
I think the term is negatively bouyant.
My problem, that is. And apparently Cougie's too.
04/09/2003 at 15:49
I float.
I don't tumble as I feel as if it is showing off in the pool, used to be able to, didn't think it saved much time. I also swim in shorts, how much quicker could I get in trunks?
04/09/2003 at 15:52
Daz - tumbles, i reckon i take about 0.5-1 second per turn out of most swimmers (tri level) but my touch turns are also faster (26 years of practice and knowing how to be aero(aqua)dynamic) If you are not confident that you will come out of the turn in the right lane or pointing in the right direction then don't use them as you will end up slower (i have seen people end up in the wrong lane at loads of swimming galas where they are promptly disqualified) if you did it in a tri i don't know if that would also be the case.

Cougie - yes a wetsuit will help you float. If it is just your legs buy a pull bouy and try swiming with that.
04/09/2003 at 15:56
Trunks - or lycra shorts - will improve your speed, for people who sink a lot it will also make them less negatively bouyant.
tumble tunring isn't showing off and to be good in a race you have to practice in training.
21 to 40 of 60 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.