Migraine after swimming in the Pool :-(

8 messages
29/10/2012 at 13:25

Does anyone else suffer with Migraines after swimming in the Pool ............
I'm a fairly strong swimmer and can swim a mile in 26mins, but after I swim in the pool I get flashing vision about 1/2 hour after the swim.
Today I did 2500 meters and when I got home from the pool I couldn't type on a keyboard or read correctly (just like a migraine)
I always take a bottle of water with me to the pool ........ I'm fine if I swim in a lake
Just concerned as I'm training for the Outlaw and I will need to do most my swimming in a pool during the winter

29/10/2012 at 13:37

If it's just from pool swimming then I'd think that there's something different you're doing in a pool to in a lake. Do you wear the same goggles/cap? It could be that your body position is different for not wearing a wetsuit - strain on your neck could contribute. Or it could be the chlorine in the water, or the water temperature... 

I get exercise induced headaches, and you can get medication to prevent them. As it's only happening in the pool though, I wouldn't have thought it's just from the activity. 

Nurse Ratched    pirate
29/10/2012 at 14:33

Is it only visual disturbance or do you have pain as well?

29/10/2012 at 15:17

its mainly Visual.......... i dont change anything from OW - Pool........ I sometime get migraines with energy drinks, but today I was only drinking water.

on another forum people are saying try a nose clip as it maybe a sinus/chlorine thing

worth a try

29/10/2012 at 15:28

Nose clip and beconase? nose squirty anti-histamine thing , only a few quid and worth a go?

29/10/2012 at 15:39

I would suggest it's a chemical/sinus thing - I suffer with chlorine stuffiness and sneezing after pool swimming and Beconase certainly cuts the reaction down to amlost zero.  if I don't use it, the stuffiness can feel a bit headachy so maybe you're experiencing a more extreme version of that.

I've tried a nose clip - didn't make any difference - whereas Beconase does.   and the key with Beconase is to use it both before and after swimming.

29/10/2012 at 17:46

If I swim more than an hour in a pool I have allergic reactions to the chlorine - eyes puff up (even though I've been wearing goggles), nose runs, I get a headache and I know I'll be sneezing for the next 8-10 hours. Never thought of Beconase. Cheers!

29/10/2012 at 20:29

I have purchased some Beconase and a nose clip so I will see what happens on Wednesday ......

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.