Minimum to get round an Ironman

21 to 40 of 41 messages
16/07/2013 at 15:24

I'm going to express an opinion here that may not go down well

there are some wannabee Ironman who, given any amount of training, will not complete one - they just don't have either the physical or psychological ability to do so - unless they dramatically change their approach

the problem is that many of these people cannot see this, and tough love isn't dispensed to them, so they carry on in their own sweet ways taking platitudes from others and are doomed to fail

and sorry - but anyone who needs to ask what is the minimum needed (maybe even out of curiosity) is on the wrong wavelength to start.  

16/07/2013 at 16:16

FB- you're wrong mate.  I asked the question and I know 100% that if I train for it, I can do an Ironman.

I just wondered is all.

16/07/2013 at 16:21
Faithsdaddy wrote (see)

FB- you're wrong mate.  I asked the question and I know 100% that if I train for it, I can do an Ironman.

I just wondered is all.

Nah... You are already plotting your excuses 

16/07/2013 at 16:38

FB must have a point. After all

1. If it was easy everyone would do it
  2. It's not a knitting club

16/07/2013 at 16:43
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Nah... You are already plotting your excuses 

Ah you got me.  I should have set the title as 'Best excuses for not completing an Ironman'.

How about, it's been too hot to train?

16/07/2013 at 16:46

FD - asking shows there are doubts - that is all.

But my other points are still valid and aren't necessarily pointed at you and as I have no idea of your "pedigree" I can't pass comment on that.

16/07/2013 at 16:59
fat buddha wrote (see)

But my other points are still valid and aren't necessarily pointed at you and as I have no idea of your "pedigree" I can't pass comment on that.

Not much triathlon background- just a super sprint back in May. You know what it's like- underneath all the 'oh no, I couldn't possibly do it', really really, we all have at least a rough idea of what we can do.

FWIW, I wouldn't attempt one until I can put in the training and do myself justice.  I really don't want a 17 hour suffer fest.

16/07/2013 at 17:13

See you have doubts.   Now man up and get on with it 

Edited: 16/07/2013 at 17:13
16/07/2013 at 17:24

Dave
Have you ever thought of becoming a mentor or failing that a counsellor?

16/07/2013 at 17:28
Faithsdaddy wrote (see)
fat buddha wrote (see)

Not much triathlon background- just a super sprint back in May. You know what it's like- underneath all the 'oh no, I couldn't possibly do it', really really, we all have at least a rough idea of what we can do.

FWIW, I wouldn't attempt one until I can put in the training and do myself justice.  I really don't want a 17 hour suffer fest.

and that sadly is where a lot of people are deluded - they really have no idea of their ability, or lack thereof.  they see X friend doing one and think - if they can do it, then so can I - sadly that principle doesn't hold for an IM.  

it needs a recognition that an IM is fucking hard work; some are more gifted than others; many are more committed than others; and being a wannabee is not the way to approach it.

16/07/2013 at 17:41

Marriage Guidance being my preferred field

citizen 146    pirate
16/07/2013 at 17:54

fb, a fair point.

IronCat5    pirate
16/07/2013 at 17:59

It's so hard they're putting floating cocktail bars in the swim now, and each swim wave will only have 2 other people in case you bump in to each other.

19/07/2013 at 12:34
 can do it, then so can I - sadly that principle doesn't hold for an IM.  

it needs a recognition that an IM is fucking hard work; some are more gifted than others; many are more committed than others; and being a wannabee is not the way to approach it.

i think i would have to deem myself a wannabe - purely because i havent undertaken an attempt at an ironman.

do i think it will be hard work? of course. do i plan to get round? of course. do i think i am the most gifted person? not in the slightest but if i follow a plan and stick to it will that be the bare minimal for me or the maximum?

Crash Hamster    pirate
19/07/2013 at 12:50

Who knows?

That may not be the most helpful answer, but it's true nonetheless. As an example, I think I'm right in saying that WildWill did his first IM in Frankfurt 06, the same as me, so we have about the same amount of long-term base. Nowadays he does some far bigger sessions than me; over the years, I've learnt that too much training will break me, whereas it works well for Will. If we followed the same training plan, he'd probably be undercooked and I'd be crocked.

And this is why I'm opposed to the current vogue for slavish adherence to Fink. Not only does one size fit no one, but it teaches you nothing about how your own body reacts.

Doner Kebab    pirate
19/07/2013 at 18:19
fat buddha wrote (see)

and that sadly is where a lot of people are deluded - they really have no idea of their ability, or lack thereof.  they see X friend doing one and think - if they can do it, then so can I - sadly that principle doesn't hold for an IM.  

i had a chap in my place today and got talking about what he does and i mentioned the double iron, after i told him the distances he turns round and says - yea i think i could swim that far - i was a life guard and swam a mile before, he used to bike a bit so thought he might be able to do the 232 miles in the saddle and the run he definately could do because he used to go to the gym 6 days a week. i left it at that

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
22/07/2013 at 06:14

There's no "one size fits all" answer. I finished my very first IM race in 15:51 back in summer 2000 and have never been able to finish another.

Symes    pirate
22/07/2013 at 08:45

I'll agree completely with the, one size doesn't fit all, I know someone who did no more than 8 hours a week to complete their first IM and someone else who completed the same race on over 20 hours a week, there you go, stats prove everything

WildWill    pirate
22/07/2013 at 09:03
Crash Hamster wrote (see)

Who knows?

That may not be the most helpful answer, but it's true nonetheless. As an example, I think I'm right in saying that WildWill did his first IM in Frankfurt 06, the same as me, so we have about the same amount of long-term base. Nowadays he does some far bigger sessions than me; over the years, I've learnt that too much training will break me, whereas it works well for Will. If we followed the same training plan, he'd probably be undercooked and I'd be crocked.

Are you trying to give me a reputatition as someone who trains? 

Cheerful Dave    pirate
22/07/2013 at 09:42
Doner Kebab wrote (see)

i had a chap in my place today and got talking about what he does and i mentioned the double iron, after i told him the distances he turns round and says - yea i think i could swim that far - i was a life guard and swam a mile before, he used to bike a bit so thought he might be able to do the 232 miles in the saddle and the run he definately could do because he used to go to the gym 6 days a week. i left it at that

Based on what he said, there's every possibility that he could finish a double.  Problem is, he has no clue about the amount of training needed to do it, even starting from a reasonably fit base.  That's where the delusion lies.

I know there's a bit of a vogue for going straight to IM, even as a first triathlon, but for me I'm glad I did the Vit first because it left me with no illusions about how much training would be needed for the full distance.

21 to 40 of 41 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.