Monsterman 2

21 to 25 of 25 messages
12/01/2004 at 09:32
SW - I bow to you, and hang my head in shame!!!

The first time I have EVER not finished an event....

Got everything wrong... didn't bring any drinks/energy bars/fuel of any sort with me, and when start was delayed, followed the herd and did a 'recce lap' of the cycle course, expecting a 30 min. warm-up. Took an hour, and used up far too much energy.

Completed run1 in about 43 mins, and finished the cycle in about 1hr 56min, giving me a combined time to that point of about 2hrs 39. Alas, I threw my towel in then as I as a) completely exhausted, b) running horrendously late for parental duties back home and c) delaying my buddy who had pulled out after lap 2 of the cycle and also had to get home to look after his kids.

ok, b) and c) are probably excuses, and a) is the real reason I stopped, but, bl##dy hell, as a novice at this kind of thing (Hairy Legs and MM1 are the only mtb duathlons I have done previously), is this the kind of standard I should expect for the future?
12/01/2004 at 12:34
I think you've hit the nail on the head there rocks, I didn't really have enough food/drink for that length of time, had I known it would take so long I would have taken far more. As it was I finished very dehydrated and totally out of fuel, and still feel out of sorts today.

I noticed one competitor had what appeared to be a cream bun sellotaped to their handlebars, presumably as an emergency snack. Seemed strange at the time but I could have done with something similar myself...

Oh, and surely that run was quite a bit over 4 miles?!
12/01/2004 at 12:46
Abso-bl##dy-lutely! I may be slow, and it might have been hilly, but I do not take 43 minutes to cover 4 miles!

12/01/2004 at 12:52
Glad it wasn't just me then :)

Will be interesting to see the results - I think even the winner took about 2:30 as he was finishing just as I started my 2nd run. The tailenders could still be out there...
12/01/2004 at 13:01
Yep... it was the winner (Andy Blow) who had the snack attached to his handlebars... don't feel too bad about losing out to him - he only managed 33rd in the 2000 world championships!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.