Mud sweat n' gears

how much should I bike

6 messages
15/02/2004 at 21:46
Ay up chucks... Now I have entered London tri - sprint distance - and bought two shiny new bikes (yes two, couldn't make up my mind between a racer or a mtb) does anyone have any tips on how much I need to train on the bike?
I am training for marathon and cycling to/from work (about 7 m a day) but I'm not sure this is gonna be enuff? Especially since I need to fit the swimming in too...
WildWill    pirate
15/02/2004 at 21:59
This months 220mag recomends for sprint

2-3 rides/week
long ride of 1.5hrs
try and fit in a brick session of 45min.25min ride/run

15/02/2004 at 22:00
www.trinewbies.com for schedules

and get the triathlete's training bible by joe friel from amazon (or anywhere that sells it)
cougie    pirate
15/02/2004 at 23:01
I'd try to get a longer run in at the weekend, but also try running into work say one day a week.
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
15/02/2004 at 23:31
<Pops head through door to see whats going on>

Cant offer you to much advice on the training for a sprint and am a bit of a newbie but wish you lots of luck. Having said that I guess you should train about 6-8 times a week 2 swim, 3 bike, 2 run, 1 gym/aerobics/other cross training.

If your cycling to work every day (7 miles, as Cougie said you could tri running once a week) thats a good base of training. On top of that maybe add a couple of swims and a long bike and long run (maybe up to 60mins run and 90mins bike?). Also occasional bricks as WildWill says.

PS. Can I ask a question, im thinking of doing London Tri (Olympic) - did I hear somewhere that its a ballot entry? and if so when do the entries close?
16/02/2004 at 09:14
Thanks for tips everyone :-)
Trouble at the moment is I have to do five runs a week inc a long one at the weekend (rising to 3hrs 30 - cripes!!!!!) to get ready for marathons in April and June. I must be mad.
But I should still have time to do a couple of swims, cycle to/from work four days and do a longer bike ride at the weekend!
I think the brick sessions should be interesting though! I cycled to the start of my run the other week and legs felt, er, interesting during the run.

Carl - there is a ballot for the London tri you can enter it at www.thelondontriathlon.com
Good luck!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.